View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Dreams View Post
Polite maybe, but Kansai is a very large region to attribute the usage of "Ookini" for "Thanks". Geishas in Gion for sure and pockets of shitamachi areas in Osaka perhaps, but even then it's used by the older generation and usually between customers and shops that are familiar with each other.
I hate to derail this thread again with a (very) minor disagreement, but I think you underestimate how common ookini is. I hear it frequently not only in Osaka and Kyoto, but also in Nara and parts of Mie. Even here, in southern Gifu, I hear it on occasion, though very rarely. There's certainly a big age/occupation bias in usage but as discussions like this one hint, it's still used by younger people and outside of Osaka and Kyoto.

And to add to what you wrote on arigatou gozaimasu vs arigatou gozaimashita, here's an example:

- Here, let me carry those heavy bags for you.
- Arigatou gozaimasu <- Can't use gozaimashita because you're thankful for something that hasn't happened yet.

- I left the bags in your room.
- Arigatou gozaimashita. <- The action is completed. Gozaimasu could be used also.

There aren't many situations where arigatou gozaimasu would be inappropriate but I can think of one: thanking someone who is leaving, or who you are leaving. E.g. thanking a colleague who is retiring, or graduating students thanking a teacher. Using the present/future tense would be odd.
Best Topics: lisa gerrard sanvean tombstone pizza instructions you semity pronounce mrs anise liquor mochiko flour substitute demagnetize credit cards david blaine exposed 1900's or 1900s galley slaves police jurisdiction here all week dairy farts blue eyed asians deadwood ending explained sued for peace tailpipe hose trick greek chili smallest brain dealer trade driver recycling is bullshit real sudafed magoo definition 9mm suicide hairy palm chicago morning traffic fahrvergn?gen sticker 3 notes song timtang level 4 pit bags un peacekeeper job chair lift experiment do protons and electrons have the same charge chinese food hungry again joke what are boar bristles made of fast acting very effective laxative seinfeld george takes shirt off bathroom why is the periodic table shaped the way it is maint req d honda civic 2005 rain totals year to date hearing voices in white noise best version of canon in d dog growling at his own leg giving yourself oral sex have you ever been bonded weight of a housefly what is the squiggle called in the back of my truck expired tags out of state 30 pence to dollars how much blood does it take to get hiv how to go back to high school how much does a stick of dynamite weigh first run syndication definition corn nuts where to buy lemon curd on toast statute of limitations on medical debt in california tony kornheiser canadian flag arma 3 common sense media kenny rogers fried chicken song with thursday in the title calories in 20 oz mt dew what continent is hawaii lying at meps about mental health