View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
...One problem with become better at Japanese is that the expectations of understanding all this starts to rise. For those who are not functionally fluent in the language, they do not suppose that the person will understand which words to use, but that doesn't give you a free pass forever.
The thing with the language is that a non-native can be as fluent as, or even a better speaker (in terms of word usage and honorifics) than a native Japanese, but they would forever be treated as an "outsider", with the sole reason being that they couldn't fully understand all the customs and nuances because they are not "true" Japanese. There still remains a glass ceiling that non-natives cannot break through which leads to talented foreigners leaving for greener pastures, i.e. outside Japan.

As a side note, I am a native Japanese born in Japan to Japanese parents but received my higher education overseas. I speak fluent English and hold dual nationality, the other being Canadian. At work, the running joke is that I'm the "foreign guy".
Best Topics: como talle vous shubunkin koi taco bell mints blacked out eyes mean momma soap dropping driveway deterrents oe symbol violin case gun girls giggle yamaha m45 titrating oxygen bicurious men green rooster beer self stitching vaccination scar message for surgery definition of homemade no armpit hair rounder meaning domestic engineering mike gordon pedophile stink bomb recipes us government plates wb superstar usa arsenic for sale rain check dating isaiah pronunciation market will bear sugarfree gatorade fdr jr pistol suicide colleges that don't require freshmen to live on campus received package for someone else oldest building in paris fedex shipped to wrong address square root -1 divided by 8 how to pronounce the hague submachine gun vs assault rifle whipping cream in coffee weed killer on skin how to euthanize fish with baking soda force required to break ribs a swimmer cannot use a long hose to snorkel more than a meter deep because air in the same vein origin how long does chili keep how to fix a cracked guitar neck bear mace on human what does chewing cud mean paper cut on eye value of g rate make up stamp does lysol spray kill mrsa fractured pelvis recovery time elderly belgian waffles vs regular halls ginger ale cough drops controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment price of freon for car air conditioner fried green tomatoes idgie gw2 city of hope maze house of wessex family tree lesbian wedding attire no dresses please ace hardware jingle lyrics how much meat is on a deer april fools pranks for teachers to pull on students the abbreviation bx means does salvation army take old tvs after forever black sabbath