View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know why people let this happen, but I think it's because of the potential for the situation to get worse or even violent. Some other related thoughts:

1) Selection bias - you've only experienced this with young, black girls. The SDMB taught me the phrase "selection bias."
2) If it seems like a racial thing, it's possibly a socioeconomic class thing. Young people from poor backgrounds may miss a lot of school where habits like waiting your turn are inculcated.
3) It's a youth thing. When people get to a certain age, they realize that they need to follow the rules.
4) And I think the idea that there's a potential for more trouble is tied into expectations about youth, race, and socioeconomic differences.

But yeah, it's annoying as hell.
Best Topics: logan's run gun blocking mailboxes princess bride quicksand teaching yourself latin white beard spray oshkosh overalls adult gas goes bad four legged turkey funny farm game elvis fat girl wearing slip gas drive offs camel filterless mailchimp freddie toy ask a transexual macmillan and wife crt tv back animaniacs istanbul pronounce thoreau superglue toxicity what causes wedgies 357-38 weeping buddha statues concrete mailbox illegal zoolander cell phone inital j hairy scrotum dune alia klingon home world gripping films prison alcohol pyramid capacitor ryan st3kr turn around bright eyes movie schedule 40 vs schedule 80 pipe can you drink baileys straight cat's breath smells like poop male nausea every morning can ship captains perform marriages the mighty quinn bob dylan like the discovery channel song does staples have power of attorney forms what does crocodile taste like oh no she didnt disease that makes you fat what does the question have you ever been bonded mean is brass an interstitial or substitutional alloy is dunkin donuts kosher how to tell if a prostitute is a cop hot patches of skin how to clean vhs tapes benefits of rooting fire tv how many grams of pseudoephedrine are in a box of sudafed 12 hour you remind me of the man why do you have to wear bowling shoes when does supernatural get good is all clad worth the price bone strength compared to steel songs with walking bass lines guilty until proven innocent england may we contact this employer no eau de toilette vs pour homme cody the screaming dog digging out crawl space for basement