View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't know why people let this happen, but I think it's because of the potential for the situation to get worse or even violent. Some other related thoughts:

1) Selection bias - you've only experienced this with young, black girls. The SDMB taught me the phrase "selection bias."
2) If it seems like a racial thing, it's possibly a socioeconomic class thing. Young people from poor backgrounds may miss a lot of school where habits like waiting your turn are inculcated.
3) It's a youth thing. When people get to a certain age, they realize that they need to follow the rules.
4) And I think the idea that there's a potential for more trouble is tied into expectations about youth, race, and socioeconomic differences.

But yeah, it's annoying as hell.
Best Topics: are physicians doctors brass knuckle injury claritin prescription dosage fortitude etymology sword materials svu avatar volunteer firefighters pay lasko ionizer fan no molars come off as civ 3 strategies when is a series of unfortunate events set can i put neosporin in my nose stab in the heart the difference between lucifer and satan where to buy arsenic powder are breasts sexualized in all cultures jos a bank 1905 review using ammonia in laundry windex on car windshield how long does it take to digest corn when did the sun set on the british empire