View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Recent Portland arrival checking in here.

Compared to the weather I left behind in Chicago, this place is paradise. I'll take 45 degrees and raining over waist-high snow any day and twice on Sunday.

Bad food? That's just a joke.

The drivers are polite to the point of absurdity. I must say it's still a bit startling to see people stop their cars without a sign just to let me cross the street.

I live in Hollywood, so the transit system works fine by me. I can catch a bus on Broadway or Sandy Blvd that gets me to 80% of the places I want to go, and I can hop on the Max if I want to go downtown. Compared to getting anywhere in Chicago, it's like falling off a log. The only occasional difficulty is finding a cab, but a city this small isn't going to have a lot of cabs.

And as for the people, their worst sin is a persistent flakiness in Portland, the phrase "I'll call you" means something like "I'll talk to you next time we run into each other, whenever that is." That said, my wife and I have met some very friendly people and are on our way toward building a nice social circle.

So yeah, sorry you're having a lousy time. Me, I dig the place.
Welcome to the PNW! We've been here for four years now and like it more now than we did back then. Easiest place to get a cab is at a hotel, even if you're not a guest. You get used to the flakiness. . .sort of. People will listen to you politely and even agree with you, just to make you go away. That includes city officials, as we found out recently. I've got real issues with drivers here; I mentioned an accident that my wife saw, wherein a driver cut the corner on a turn and hit a stopped car head-on. I don't want cars stopping when there is no stop sign, just like I don't want them running a stop sign that's plainly visible. It goes against the right-of-way laws and is disconcerting because you never know what the hell they're going to do.
Best Topics: booster pack steam carrier comfort maker negative t stat thebaine pronunciation chinese basket sex creme savers amazon kaiser eyeglasses frames hootenanny songs try hard gaming chitterlings smell mild vs medium drawing salve target keurig size settings t'pol decontamination red pollard safe apartments stelara model annoying baseball golden sombrero 1920s beards triple jointed fingers titleist x outs 8008465279 clown eggs facebook lurker discontinued corelle patterns blue whale megalodon pool cutthroat 2 bachelors degrees does vodka evaporate sharpest claws long fingernail mas in spanish definition colitas nico ann deneault toilet drano product red wine vinegar vs white vinegar east coast vs west coast personality why does skylar flip the coin how to clean marcasite can you od on unisom furniture cloth dust covers water shut off valve keeps turning does ibuprofen help toothaches erythorbate in hot dogs is there a sugar free gatorade? the onion 9/11 issue boom chicka bow wow how does max bid work on ebay unitarian universalism in a nutshell 8 gauge shot gun how to make grey hair white venting a bathroom fan into the attic we always hang in a buffalo stance meaning howard hughes senate hearing full enema and suppository board limo driver opening door how to keep corn tortillas from breaking when making enchiladas how soon can i take diflucan after antibiotics difference between textbook editions can you close a dead person's eyes sister sister theme song ringtone why do they put rocks on roofs slide out cutting boards the princess bride 25th anniversary edition book dog bites own leg