Old 02-12-2001, 12:57 PM
I was under the impression they were not, because of the following story:

From
http://britannica.com/bcom/eb/ar...20palm%20beach
Quote:
In 1878 a shipwrecked cargo of coconuts was washed onto the barren, sandy beach and took root. Early settlers also gathered the nuts and planted them to create a palm-shaded haven, which was named Palm City in 1880. Renamed Palm Beach in 1887, it developed as a resort after Henry Flagler extended the Florida East Coast Railroad to West Palm Beach in 1894 and opened his Royal Poinciana Hotel.
But with a little more thought, I realized this does not necessarily mean there were absolutely no palm trees before this, it could be that there were a few around but this event made them really take off. And, the story only references the Palm Beach area, and not all of Florida.

Anybody know the straight dope?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off