Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Dopers help ID this fish that has human like teeth (with video)

Is it really a Pacu? I couldn't find any Pacu pics online with that big hump seen in the video.

Texas Man Catches Fish With Human-Like Teeth

Quote:
A fish caught in Lubbock, Texas, with teeth that look like they belong to a human has baffled wildlife officials in the area, according to a report. Fisherman Scott Curry reeled in the 20-pound fish on Buffalo Springs Lake and immediately noticed the catch had human-like teeth. A game warden photographed the fish and is attempting to identify it. General Manager of Buffalo Springs Lake Greg Thornton told KLBK13-TV in Texas that he has never seen anything like the fish in the 36 years he has lived near the lake. A search for what the fish may be suggested that it may be a pacu, which is found in South America. Curry said he believes he saw another similar fish while on the lake. A Texas television station reported that lake officials will give $100 to anyone catching a similar fish
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Sure looks like a Pacu. Used to see a couple of big ones where I bough feeder fish for my Oscars. Right size, color, plate-like body. Someone just released a pet into a lake... always a bad move anyway you look at it.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Oops... here's the right link.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
Oops... here's the right link.
That'd be nice if you meant it.

(404 error)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 PM
That's funky. It's like Aardman Productions branched out into biogenetics.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncommon Sense
That'd be nice if you meant it.

(404 error)
Actually his first link has the correct pics.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, click on the picture at the top of my first link. I'm not sure why it works and the other doesn't since the urls appear identical
Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
I thought this was going to be about one of those high-quality pictures from the Weekly World News, the funniest periodical available anywhere.

(That is one yucky-looking fish. Of course, they're all yucky-looking.)
Old 07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
*queasy*

That is one freaky fish.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Yup. That looks like a Pacu to me.

I like those fish. They're really cool when they're full grown (can get to be about 2 feet).
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Not at all on topic, other than dealing with fish in unexpected places. As I was walking from the train to work this a.m. in downtown Chicago, crossing the river on the Madison St bridge, I noticed something on the walkway. I assumed it was a dead pigeon, but when I looked, it was a dead fish, maybe 1' long. Not sure of the species. Silver, rather large scales. Didn't examine it too closely!
That was a first in 20+ years of commuting.
Not sure if a boater on the river lobbed it up there - think it was too large for a seagull to have caried and dropped.
What an exciting life the commuter leads!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Since that fish has been identified, I present the Sheepshead, a salt water species that can be caught in Texas as well as a lot of coastal areas. That's a pic of it's teeth, not the best pic. Here are a few more.