Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Dental Question--is Irrigation worth it?

So I went to the dentist after a few years of neglect and found out my gums aren't in the best of shape, so they recommended a Deep Cleaning. Fine, who am I to argue?

The problem: the total cost comes to $750 after insurance! However, I can get this reduced to $200-something if I decline the irrigation and the "direct placement of antibiotic into the gums" (for which I forgot the technical term.)

So does anyone know how effective those two are? Is it worth the massive price-tag, or is a normal deep cleaning sans those good enough?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: [email protected].

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: popeye lyrics queue youtube videos hell damn fart chewable pills identify heroin cat catching rat salmon expiration date balding hipster scruffing a dog flute like instrument mouthwash abv beekeeper suits splines meaning kaiser sunglasses rotten peanut thermite legality quo in scrabble raise hematocrit dust everywhere modern dionysus worship floor mounted urinals buying nitrous oxide cartoon mosquitoes lucifer hammer skydiving songs girl never initiates battleship civ 4 you're very pretty define signifying firefighter marijuana we buy furs 200 decibels nfl holders primatene mist canada boy scout jacket motorcycle seat belt law how many songs did elvis presley sing how to enter a cheat code is naproxen a controlled substance 22 vs 24 inch monitor lump under skin with bruise around it safe wedding bands for electricians can you put a plastic water bottle in the freezer diy chimney liner kit see through scratch off can a chicken lay 2 eggs a day heat a pool without a heater is krazy glue toxic toyota camry front strut replacement cost someone vandalized my car what do i do 1.3 megapixel camera quality new vegas nexus project nevada too much laundry detergent where can i get cyanide pills how long does it take chloroform to work define soup to nuts owning a pet raven to each according to his need my dog ate a piece of onion will ibuprofen kill a dog bed bath and beyond sound machine uncovered food in fridge shower curtain no liner required why doesn't gandalf use more magic dragon age inquisition steam overlay is door to door soliciting illegal flashbang hot sauce scoville how bad is a dishonorable discharge songs in 3 4 time