Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Joan of Arcadia cancelled

According to USA Today.

Ah well, knew it wouldn't make it after the ratings tanked in season two.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Charter Member
great ending to great day

...and they keep shows like 7th Heaven? That is just plain wrong.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't know... it was getting a little repetitive. "Hi, God, what strange task am I doing for you this week?"

I'd watch season 3 if it came out, but I kind of understand.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Charter Member
Well, this just bites.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Charter Member
Well, this just bites.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Charter Member
The thing of it is, we were just hit with a pretty neat twist at the end of the season and I was all pumped for it.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Well, I am bummed.

AND they are cutting off Judging Amy too! Sniff.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Aw, dang! I thought it had enough support from people in high places to get a reprieve. The second season wasn't as amazing as the first, true, but the show deserved to live!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Charter Member
YaYYY y! Not that I've seen the show to tell whether it was any good or not, but they had to have a title like that just as I had almost completed an epic poem that was also partially about high school, with a title that was also a pun on Joan of Arc
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Well I am seriously bummed. I just wrote a letter of disappointment to CBS.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Terrible news. I'm afraid they played out the weekly tasks too much. I had always complained that Joan wasn't growing, and just as she is about to take the leap... it's cancelled. There are precious few shows with this level of writing and acting. Damn. Just plain damn.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy
Aw, dang! I thought it had enough support from people in high places to get a reprieve.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm
great ending to great day

...and they keep shows like 7th Heaven? That is just plain wrong.

Well, that's the WB, where quality is job 27.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh, crap. I liked that one.

Someone better break it to ivylass very gently. I expect tears.
Over some chocolate, maybe?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Oh dear.

My husband is going to be so disappointed.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 AM
I had been watching the boards, checking official sites, looking for the very first word on CBS' Fall Schedule. I wish now that I hadn't been so anxious to find out.

I remember when I first heard of the show's premise, thinking, "That could be a really cool show, or it could be really stupid..." Well, it -was- a really cool show, one that I looked forward to watching on Friday nights at 8, and even taped (thank goodness for that! at least I have many episode already on tape) so that I could re-watch it at least once over the weekend, to catch any nuance I might have missed before.

While the writing this past season was at times uneven and the raitings dropped, I really wish that CBS had given them at least one more season; even American Dreams got three seasons - I loved that show too, but I doubt that it's ratings were anywhere near JoA. The acting has always been top notch among the regular cast and even the recurring cast.

I will sorely miss this show! Gah, what a year - Enterprise - thus Star Trek in general - is gone, American Dreams is gone, Joan of Arcadia and Judging Amy are now gone. I'm afraid to even type out the name of the only show left that I stil really enjoy!

*sighs* Yes, I'm bummed over a TV show.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Amber Tamblyn herself was rightly complaining about her character not going anywhere. Also, I feel cheated by the bait & switch they pulled with Adam's character (not that seemingly nice guys don't cheat on their girlfriends in exchange for meaningless sex, but don't blame the audience if they feel let down by it). And as much as I generally favor the acknowledgement of spiritual evil & good ol' Apocalyptic throw-downs, the emergence of Arcadia's AntiChrist strikes me as rather contrived.

yeah, I'd like to see some sort of continuation. Maybe in a TV movie or two.

Also, this may strike some of you as an absolutely dreadful idea, but why shouldn't God include Joan's friends? Imagine the debates Grace would get in with Him/Her!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdude825
I don't know... it was getting a little repetitive. "Hi, God, what strange task am I doing for you this week?"

I'd watch season 3 if it came out, but I kind of understand.
I never watched the show, but it always did sound like rather a limited premise to me.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Charter Member
Well, damn. I was really looking forward to season three. They cancel Joan but find room on the schedule for Two and a Half Men and Yes, Dear?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Damn. F*ck. Hell.

The show was flawed but still much, much better than most of what remains in primetime.

It was one of the few series with a semi realistic depiction of high school kids.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat
Oh, crap. I liked that one.

Someone better break it to ivylass very gently. I expect tears.
Over some chocolate, maybe?
When they announced 60 Minutes II was cancelled, I knew the fall schedule had been released, so I went a-Googling.

Damn damn damn. If anyone's going to be more upset than I am, it will be Ivygirl. This was Must See TV for us, and with the ending, they set it up to have a good season next year.

I am extremely disappointed. The characters, the writers, the premise was wonderful. They deserve better than this. Now we'll never know if Kevin will end up with Lilly, if Lucyfer ever comes back, and how Joan will deal with Ryan.

It's a sad sad day. Any chance another network will grab it up?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I hope those of you who are disappointed will write to the network and let them know. At the very least they'll consider similar programming in the future if they hear from the audience.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:08 PM
I just found this out and wrote to them. These (Joan and Judging Amy) were two of the only "regular" network shows I ever watch. I looked forward to them, and where they left off is just criminal to leave us hanging.

Instead of thoughtful and unique shows, we're going to get more and more Survivor crap.

CBS said they were "aiming for a younger audience". Lovely. I'm sure there are lots of teens that watch TV at 10:00 on Tuesdays (Amy's slot).

I was going to open a Pit on this, but found this thread via search.

Luckily I have Netflix, so at least I'll have something to watch.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 PM
At the end of last season, this would have pissed me off. I thought it was a great show and never missed it. This year, I stopped watching about two months in, and haven't missed it. So sad.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
Well, that's the WB, where quality is job 27.
That's no joke, I watch two of their shows and I'm under no illusions, they're total crap.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass
If anyone's going to be more upset than I am, it will be Ivygirl. This was Must See TV for us, ...
Yeah, my daughter will be upset, too. I don't even want to tell her yet. We often made it a family-viewing event. Too bad.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I guess what really bothers me is that we don't get to see how it ends. Sports Night at least had a wrap-up, when the cable network was bought out, but this one just set up for the next season, and we're left to wonder what Joan's future battles will be.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon918
I had been watching the boards, checking official sites, looking for the very first word on CBS' Fall Schedule. I wish now that I hadn't been so anxious to find out.

I remember when I first heard of the show's premise, thinking, "That could be a really cool show, or it could be really stupid..." Well, it -was- a really cool show, one that I looked forward to watching on Friday nights at 8, and even taped (thank goodness for that! at least I have many episode already on tape) so that I could re-watch it at least once over the weekend, to catch any nuance I might have missed before.

While the writing this past season was at times uneven and the raitings dropped, I really wish that CBS had given them at least one more season; even American Dreams got three seasons - I loved that show too, but I doubt that it's ratings were anywhere near JoA. The acting has always been top notch among the regular cast and even the recurring cast.

I will sorely miss this show! Gah, what a year - Enterprise - thus Star Trek in general - is gone, American Dreams is gone, Joan of Arcadia and Judging Amy are now gone. I'm afraid to even type out the name of the only show left that I stil really enjoy!

*sighs* Yes, I'm bummed over a TV show.
Me too.
Aesiron is going to be particularly upset, I predict.

Well....at least I still have a few shows left to enjoy: Lost, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, House, ER. That's all I can think of.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I am not a religious person by any means, but did like the writing on this show. Sorry to see it go.

BTW, at the main website for CBS, there is a nice feature called "feedback" some of you might want to take advantage of, for no other reason than to vent. I did. I feel better now.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark
I am not a religious person by any means, but did like the writing on this show. Sorry to see it go.

BTW, at the main website for CBS, there is a nice feature called "feedback" some of you might want to take advantage of, for no other reason than to vent. I did. I feel better now.
Thanks, I do feel better now that I've called them names. No, wait, it still sucks that they cancelled Joan and Judging Amy.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Personally, I feel like the Joan of Arcadia that I used to watch and enjoy kind of died earlier this season. The show I enjoyed was a bit fun, a bit lighthearted, made me feel good, and usually had a more-or-less happy ending where at least we the audience could see that the world was a better place because of Joan's actions, even if she didn't always get to seet that. But the show that's been masquerading as Joan of Arcadia lately is of the "Let's see how badly we can screw up everyone's life by allowing them to just start to get happy and then yank the rug out from under them with some stupid plot device." Either Joan's assignment from God leads to total ambiguity, or there just is no assignment at all. And the absolute last thing in the world that that show needed was for Joan to get a nemesis whom God allows to go around descrating churches. I'd frankly rather see the show cancelled than to continue down that dreary path.

If the stupid powers-that-be had left it alone to continue with the original premise, it wouldn't have started tanking in the ratings and would not have been cancelled.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I watched the first three or four episodes and thought it was pretty boring. Did it get way better after that, or am I just not the target audience?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster
Heh, I didn't even consider the possibility of a pun when I typed that in! I was recalling a story that I read which indicated that one of the CBS bigwigs had a soft spot in her heart for it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages
Me too.
Aesiron is going to be particularly upset, I predict.
Upset is a little extreme but I can't say I'm happy. With the demise of both Joan and Enterprise this year, I'm left with nothing to watch except for reruns of long cancelled shows.

c'est la vie.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I must also express my disappointment. I had hoped that when CBS decided to rerun at least some this season's eps during the summer that they might be planning to renew the show for a third season.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM
I doubt it. CBS probably has an agreementwith the producers to run each episode X number of times, and they're just burning them off during the summer doldrums.

Any chance Hallmark or PAX will pick it up?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Another voice chiming in with disappointment at news of it's being cancelled. It was one of two shows that Mrs. Stone and I most enjoy watching each week (House being the other).

Off to the CBS site to make our displeasure known...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass
Any chance Hallmark or PAX will pick it up?
PAX is going to convert to a 24-hour infomercial format soon: http://broadcastingcable.com/art...&referral=supp
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, then, I guess PAX won't be around much longer either.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Hereís what Iím taking away from this show. For evermore, each time I see one of the character actors who played God, Iíll probably mentally say, Ďthereís Godí. And Iíll be reminded of an excellent show. The viewer isn't there to enjoy a show..the viewer (us) is there to watch the commercials and buy the sponsors products. CBS sucks.