Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 AM
BANNED
Why do hippos fling feces when defecating?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aTHZP5kxdWk

Video of hippo defecation with fake farting sound effects, you can find other vids of hippo defecation too.

They do something I've never seen another quadruped do which is they wag their tail violently while defecating which flings feces everywhere. Compare to a horse, elephant, etc which just let them drop.

What is the point behind this behavior?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Antipathy?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 AM
BANNED
Factual answer: to mark the riverbank as his territory

Farcical answer: to impress art critics
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 AM
The Master Speaks (from 1982):

https://academicpursuits.us/columns/...with-cat-spray

Quote:
The hippopotamus, for instance, is said to mark jungle trails by excreting a lethal mixture of urine and feces while twirling its tail like a propeller. This may explain the historically sluggish market for pet hippopotamuses.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 AM
It impresses the other hippos, the stinkiest one is the boss. (It's true I saw it on a wildlife doc.)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 AM
When else would it fling feces?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
You got me there!

Thanks Cal I guess I should have known Cecil had addressed this. Zookeepers must love hippos for this trait.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
On Sundays they sling shit. On Tuesdays they toss turds. On Wednesdays they waft waste. On Fridays they fling feces. On Saturdays they spray stool.

On Mondays they merely mound manure while on Thursdays they tend to be constipated and just think things through.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Suspended
Since hippos defecate in the same waters that they live in, they must have good immune systems. It would be like humans living in a sewer.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
Since hippos defecate in the same waters that they live in, they must have good immune systems. It would be like humans living in a sewer.
Everything else living in a river defecates in it, too. Human body wastes cause disease because we form such dense populations. If a hunter-gatherer human population was shitting in a river it wouldn't be a big deal to the people downstream because it would be a tiny, tiny fraction of the volume of water. By contrast, there are 500 million people living in the Ganges river basin.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Because they like the alliteration.