Old 04-14-2002, 10:28 PM
Chevron/Standard

I just returned from Las Vegas, and came across something quite unusual. The gas station on the SW corner of Tropicana and I-15 is outfitted like a "Chevron" station (right down to the color scheme on the pumps), yet all the signage says "Standard". The Chevron logo has "Standard" in the same font. Now I do know that Chevron is the modern name of the Standard Oil Company of California, also that the name "Standard" was in use (with the old Amoco logo) in the midwest for a time, but this is the first time I have seen the "Standard" brand used. Any idea on this? Do other former Standard Oil Trust companies still use "Standard"?

Phouchg
Lovable Rogue
Old 04-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Lookee here
No more Chevron gas stations.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 04-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Charter Member
A History of Chevron Names and Hallmarks dates the use of Standard to 1968.

Aha!
Quote:
Standard Oil of California (Socal) became simply Standard in 1970 throughout its marketing area along the southern US. In 1977, the company replaced Standard with Chevron. 'Chevron' became the corporate identity in 1984. The corporation has a Standard station in every state they have the rights for to ensure no one else will claim the Standard brand name (Including Esso).
Old 04-15-2002, 01:21 AM
Charter Member
Did anyone else think this was going to be a thread about the deference given to administrative agencies? Anyone? Gadarene?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Rhythmdvl: Yup. Boy, I'm gonna miss that class.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mangeorge
Lookee here
No more Chevron gas stations.
Plenty of them still here in Georgia. In fact, there is a Chevron station directly across the street from the Texaco station I fill up at about half the time.

I'm sure they plan to close one or the other station at some point but I asked the manager of the Texaco station about it a while back and she said no one had said anything to them about it and she thought they were planning on keeping both sets of stations open for a while.