Old 07-07-2002, 02:56 PM
"Knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork" spells NY?

I'd heard the phrases "Knife and fork a bottle and a cork. That's the way you spell New York" sung in an Information Society song. Searching the web, I see it was also used in songs by Dillinger, and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

In a genealogical page, I found it followed by another set, "Chicken on the car and the car won't go.That is the way you spell Chicago."

What is the whole song, where is it from, and what does it mean (if anything)?

Toff
Troy, New York
Old 07-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Graphite is a great
Wow! Deja vu.

I can remember my Dad saying "chicken in the car and the car can't go, that's how you spell Chicago" from the early 1950's.

Never heard the NY/cork.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:17 PM
I've heard the Chicago one (which actually makes a bit of sense), and another. "A woman and a man sitting in a pan, that's how you spell Japan."

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: hamlet vs village immanuel kant pronunciation why yes meaning tiger vs wolf cocoa cocaine mathew lesko car stereo theft two face spiderman 50 mbs marvel wiki sentry phone time number sikozu farscape dehumidifier test engine brake cane syrup substitute vonage second line garbage disposal vent bjork fight sitar heroes goodnick names chromatic aberration eyeglasses gypsy crime families no reflex greatschools.org ny kuhneutson valve shampoo girl crow talk hansen's cane soda mammy meaning apartment tool kit jong zipless omen music fitzcarraldo wiki estranged father dying penn and teller water tank trick boa credit card automatic payment power lines to house insulated killing moles with propane failed to read configuration file how to eat sunflower seeds without spitting infected hair root sheath gay bar south jersey home depot christmas eve hours can a rat chew through steel sit on bouncing ball why is an amoeba not an animal? difference between fax and scan godfather wedding song translation why does it feel so good to poop buddy hackett ear wax where to buy a monacle what does conus stand for why does indiana jones use a whip do vegetarians eat seafood root canal or extraction molar should i join aarp at 50 opposite of zero sum game translation of la bamba biker slang for female motorcyclist how to thicken acrylic paint for more texture how long does a written warning stay in the system gang stalking mental illness ben franklin 5 and dime best cat food to prevent smelly poop kohl's luxury collection sheets egyptian cotton thank you gift for doctor after surgery how to make jello shots with everclear