Old 02-28-2000, 02:16 PM
I have recently heard this expression being used to describe something that is good (12 yr old Scotch) "You have to try this...it's the cat's ass". Now what I want to know is how this expression was started and what does the quality of Scotch have to do with the hairy hind quarters of a feline??

------------------
There are only two things that are infinite...the Universe and Man's stupidity...I'm not sure about the Universe though.
Old 02-28-2000, 02:29 PM
The phrase "cat's pyjamas" may sound too dated? Rhymes with "rat's ass"? I think every perfectly serviceable phrase should have the word "ass' appended to it to make it more hip and current. [/snippy tone]
Old 02-28-2000, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by eden:
I think every perfectly serviceable phrase should have the word "ass' appended to it to make it more hip and current.
Did you really research your answer, or are you flying by the seat of your ass?
Old 02-28-2000, 02:36 PM
What about "The Cat's Meow" was that ever in fashion? I like the sound of this better than the view of the first.

------------------
Are you driving with your eyes open or are you using The Force? - A. Foley
Old 02-28-2000, 02:37 PM
Arnold - That's got to be the most rude-ass response to a half-assed answer to a dumb-ass question I've ever seen.

(God, I hate smilies, but sometimes you just have to make it clear that you're just kidding)
Old 02-28-2000, 03:20 PM
Arnold: Which part is the seat part of an ass, smart-ass? ;-)
Old 02-28-2000, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Ursa: LMAO!
Old 02-28-2000, 03:22 PM
And Ursa, who are you calling half-assed, you big bear-ass? I think that answer was ass-tute.
Old 02-28-2000, 03:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
eden: when I said "seat of your ass", I was referring to the donkey.
Old 02-28-2000, 03:26 PM
Quote:
And Ursa, who are you calling half-assed, you big bear-ass? I think that answer was ass-tute.
You're right. I'm sorry. I feel like such a...
Old 02-28-2000, 03:28 PM
Arnold: Of course you were. My bad-ass.
Old 02-28-2000, 06:54 PM

Sorry. I just thought this thread needed a few ass-terisks.

------------------
--It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
Old 02-28-2000, 09:52 PM
Ass-tute, my ass! It was obviously just a wild-ass guess.
Old 02-28-2000, 10:00 PM
Charter Member
This thread is ass-stounding! Ass another ass-tounding question of our ass-tute ("ass-toot"?) ass-embly!

During WWII, the U.Ass.A built a prototype fighter that was in the canard configuration. It was called the "Ascender". Since the "wings were on backwards" (the horizontal stab is in front), I wonder about the double entendre...
Old 02-28-2000, 10:01 PM
Charter Member
Oops. I didn't mean to use "ass-tounding" twi-ass. I feel like such an ass!
Old 02-28-2000, 11:39 PM
I know the the Straight Dopers are an Ass-tute bunch but I really want to know where this phrase originated. So please give me some answers that I can ass-imilate and know more puns please....
Old 02-28-2000, 11:46 PM
Charter Member
Ass you wish!

"Cat's meow" and "cat's pyjamas" is probably the source, as mentioned above. Some joker probably just thought "cat's ass" sounded better. I've never heard the phrase myself.

Perhaps "cat's pyjamas" refers to how well cats fit their skin?
Old 02-29-2000, 04:49 AM
I've heard the phrase, but not very often, and not for a while.

Another WAG:

Cats are notoriously finicky about what they'll eat, yet they're always licking their own asses. For that reason, a cat's ass must be the best-tasting thing it knows.
Old 02-29-2000, 05:34 AM
I guess one has to really put content into one's posts around here to get them locked up.

Ray (I was always curious as to whether hackers had come up with a skeleton key for all the locks aroung here.)
Old 03-01-2000, 01:19 AM
From Opalcat's Inside Jokes page: (http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/injokes.html)
Quote:
Ass, ass, ass, as much as I like -- Bermuda999 started this one by asking if he could say "ass"... later, when the MB was having tech trouble and a thread started about what we wanted done, he posted that he wanted to be able to say ass as many times as he liked. [explained by OpalCat]
Where ever you are now, Bermuda999, this threads for you.

--John

------------------
'Twis brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gymble in the wabe.
Mimsy were the borogroves,
And the momeraths outgrabe.