Old 08-30-2002, 12:25 AM
".Jr" name suffix for females?

Pardon me for posting, but I was wondering...as the title says, is the "Jr." (Junior) suffix ever used for a woman's name? Or is there an female-exclusive equivilant? We've all seen names like "John Smith Jr.", but I can't ever recall a name like "Jane Doe Jr."

Well, thanks for your time,

Ranchoth
Old 08-30-2002, 02:02 AM
The "Jr." is used to distinguish the son from the father who has the exact same name. How many daughters do you know who share the same given name with their father?
Old 08-30-2002, 02:33 AM
'Actually, I was thinking of daughters who would have been named after their mother. Not that that's very common, either, though.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:11 AM
Charter Member
There was once a movie actress who went by the name of Cobina Wright Jr. The site records part of an interview with Rebecca Hourwich Reyher in which Cobina Wright and her daughter, Cobina Wright Jr. are mentioned.

This is an excerpt from the site: "I had many experiences with such women who expected me to get them full publicity value in return. Before a drawing-room meeting one such sponsor, a beautiful blonde, Mrs. Cobina Wright, who later went to Hollywood and became a well-known columnist, brought me a photograph to use of herself with her baby--later known as Cobina Wright, Jr."

This is the only instance of such a thing that I know of.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:55 AM
Back in high school we watched a video of (IIRC) The Crucible. The mother in the movie was Sarah and the daughter was
Sarah, Jr. It was kinda wierd. It might be that "junior" is unisex, but using it on girls fell out of common usage a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Sure, isn't there Nancy Sinatra, Jr.?
Old 08-30-2002, 11:08 AM
I think such a suffix is usually consider unneccesary for girls, as the traditional assumption would be that they would get married and have a different last name from their mother.

My mother was named after her mother, and never had any sort of suffix. Her family did call her by a shortened version of the name (which my mother hates) to avoid confusion.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:27 AM
It does seem uncommon to name a daughter after her mother, but I think when it happens, like Lamia said, the daughter is just given a nickname.

For example, Margaret Simpson and Margaret Simpson, Jr. become Marge and Maggie Simpson.

Happy
Old 08-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Slight nitpick Happy Lendervedder, I believe Marge is short for "Marjorie," not Margaret (whence Maggie).