Old 12-10-2002, 04:11 PM
BANNED
Does brandy ever taste good?

I picked up some semi expensive brandy a few weeks ago seeing how it always looked so pretty in those brandy snifter glasses. Blech! How do people stomach it? Can you mix it with anything to make it taste better? Are they any forms of mixed drinks that it traditionally used in. It reminds me of turpentine how it is. The problem is that I spent 40 bucks on it and don't want it to go to waste. If I was less scrupelous I would hand it out to the evil devil children who live across the street, but of course that will never happen.

So, what recipes can I use brandy in? Desserts, entrees, mixed drinks are all encouraged.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Mix it with an equal amount of anisette. Then light up a cigar and play some Sinatra.
In Spain we call that a "sol y sombra ."
Old 12-10-2002, 04:29 PM
How about a brandy alexander?

1 shot brandy
1 shot half and half
and 1 shot dark cocoa liquior.

Put in ice, and mmmmmm.....
Old 12-10-2002, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Meatros

1 shot brandy
1 shot half and half

Tastes like an iced coffee...not too bad!
Old 12-10-2002, 04:55 PM
BANNED
Hmmm. Some of those sound ok. The brandy alexander sounds a lot like a White Russian which to me tastes like iced coffee too. So in theory, can I use it much like I would use vodka?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm with ya. A bartender friend poured me a snifter of Napoleon (?) Brandy once... $80.00 a shot. It was like lighter fluid.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:13 PM
BANNED
(alcoholic sacrilege)Blech, I think I will be mixing it with koolaid or something. (/alcoholic scarilege)

Now it sounds a bit better.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:23 PM
I don't know your age, but that might have something to do with it. Real cognac is an acquired taste. For me, it was not so much that I was myself to drink it. It was more that it was offered at dinners and what have you and gradually over the years, I learned to enjoy it.
Brandy/Cognac is made from destilled wine (basically). There are a lot of diferent types. Problem is - for it to be enjoyable, it should be real cognac (from France, you know) and the pricier stuff.

That thing about age: When I was 20 and trying desperateley to be cool, smoking camel, no filters, wearing a black turtle neck, studying movie science and theatre at college (just so you know what a dork I was), I tried to drink Dry Martini. Bleh. Feh. Yuck. It looked so cool, them glasses, the olive, all the myths in all the mvoes and books. But yuck.
I got to like it when I was about 35.

So I'm not giving up on you yet.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:27 PM
brandy

Brandy is grrrrrrrreat after 7 pints of cider, 4 double whiskey and cokes and several cheapo beers.
Take my word for it.

Mogiaw
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to acquire my taste for brandy, but for now the only way I can drink it is to mix it with apple juice. Man, that's yummy.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 PM
I know a girl named Brandy.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:25 PM
Try a hot brandy toddy.

Rub a good-sized section of lemon peel all over the rim of a coffee mug, and put the peel in the mug with two teaspoons of sugar. Munch the peel and sugar around a bit with the end of a teaspoon. Add a good jigger or two of brandy, and then add boiling water to your taste. Give it a good stir to dissolve the sugar.

Mmmm-mm. As an added bonus, if you have a bad head cold, a hot toddy is good for what ails you.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaspode
I don't know your age, but that might have something to do with it. Real cognac is an acquired taste. For me, it was not so much that I was myself to drink it. It was more that it was offered at dinners and what have you and gradually over the years, I learned to enjoy it.
Brandy/Cognac is made from destilled wine (basically). There are a lot of diferent types. Problem is - for it to be enjoyable, it should be real cognac (from France, you know) and the pricier stuff.
I agree, it's an acquired taste. Like dry sherry.

V.S.O.P. brandy is fine, but once you have real cognac, you'll never go back... Once you've acquired the taste, that is.

A snifter of brandy typically lasts me over an hour. It's something you should allow to warm up in your hands and that you should sip sparingly.

But, until you learn to appreciate it, a brandy alexander is fairly yummy.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NoClueBoy
What a good wife she would be!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Quote:

1 shot brandy
1 shot half and half

Sub the half and half with vanilla ice cream.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Charter Member
Nobody mentioned adding the brandy to coffee?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
No. No, there's no way that fine brandy can taste good. It's all been a plot, over hundreds of years, by the French and large gouty wealthy Englishmen sitting in private London clubs.

Mail me your unused Cognacs and Armagnacs. I'll make sure it's disposed of properly.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 PM
mmmmmmm Brandy.....mmmmmm Cognac even better and I'll put in a plug for mmmmm B&B.

My mother mixes cheap Christian Brothers with Coke. That's what I learned to drink.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
BANNED
Try warming over a candle just a little bit, and sip it slowly.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:44 PM
I've tried, my GAWD have I tried, to like fine brandies and scotches. While my efforts to acclimate my palate have succeeded my stomach has, unfortunately - FORCEFULLY!! - failed to go along with the plan.

In other words, shots and/or straight liquor + chique's stomach = projectile vomiting.

So. When I found myself with a fifth of Courvosier I made this:

<At this point I was going to dig out my extraordinarily spectacular version of real honest-to-gawd French chocolate mousse with espresso, good chocolate, and good brandy. Unfortunately, my recipe book seems to have gone on hiatus. If you email me a reminder, I shall search for it until I find it again.>

<I'm going to hide now. But it's a REALLY good recipe!!>
Old 12-10-2002, 10:50 PM
I'm generally a scotch drinker, but I also like brandy. But to me, while scotch tends to get better as the price goes up, the opposite is with brandy. Ya'll can keep the expensive turpentine. My favorite brandy is Korbel, about 10 bucks a bottle, closely followed by a mexican brandy, Presidente, also about the same price. And for cognac, I stick with A. Hardy, about 13 bucks a bottle. To me those are all much better than the expensive brands, which has the added benefit of giving me more cash to spend on decent scotch!

Also, brandy, like scotch, is meant to be sipped. I love good scotch, but even the best stuff tastes like hell if you just throw a shot down your throat. But if you don't like it, don't drink it. Keep it in your stock for visitors and get some stuff you like. Don't waste good booze by mixing it with juice or soda. If you have to mix it, you shouldn't be drinking it
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 PM
IMHO, Brandy should only be heated by the heat of your hand. That's why brandy snifters are made with a fat, barely rounded bottom (and a stem).

Regardless of the size of the snifter, pour about 1/2 to 3/4 inch into the snifter. Straight brandy, room temp.

Swirl it around with the snifter resting in your palm, making as much contact between glass and palm as possible.

Smell it as it warms to your body temperature.

Slowly bring it to your lips.

Sip gingerly and hold it on your tongue, letting the smell/taste/fumes fill your entire head.

Then swallow, enjoying the warmth that spreads from your mouth, nose, throat, belly, to your entire body.

Repeat.

I really like fine brandy.

And, yes, she is a fine girl, too (for Jah68)
Old 12-10-2002, 11:51 PM
If you can't manage to like it following some of the advice here, mix it with ginger ale, that's a mighty good tasting drink. Supposedly one of Keith Moon's favorites, so you know it has to be good!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:09 AM
alot of people like to mix brandy and egg nog
Old 12-11-2002, 05:50 AM
I grew up in a culture where Brandy was the domestically produced liquor. Scotch was imported, and too expensive for everyday consumption. Vodka was a communist plot to poison the brain, and Gin was for sluts (read Charles Dickens for roots to this belief). Consequently, I love a good VSOP brandy. It is smooth, has a great, heady aroma, and warms you all the way down.

Polluting brandy with anything is a travesty - like calling Scotch whiskey!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:07 AM
yeah its more like whisky..

Old 12-11-2002, 06:29 AM
mogiaw

That's my point - americans often call Scotch "whiskey" which in some way associates it with the paint-stripper that they produce in their chemical factories.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lieu
I'm with ya. A bartender friend poured me a snifter of Napoleon (?) Brandy once... $80.00 a shot. It was like lighter fluid.

80 dollars a shot???? That's insane!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jehovah68
Sub the half and half with vanilla ice cream.

Wow...now that's an interesting idea. I'll have to try that!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Sexchange
alot of people like to mix brandy and egg nog

Actually I thought it was egg nog and 151, or rum. I coulda sworn that egg nog was made with a little rum in it already...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dorkusmalorkusmafia
Hmmm. Some of those sound ok. The brandy alexander sounds a lot like a White Russian which to me tastes like iced coffee too. So in theory, can I use it much like I would use vodka?

It sort of tastes like a white russian, although I can't personally down a gallon of white russians....but brandy alexanders.... .

Also I'm not a big fan of Kalua (sp?). I forgot to add, to the brandy alexander, after it's all mixed, put some cinniman on it (or is it nutmeg?)

Just a little on the top...
Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 AM
"80 dollars a shot???? That's insane!"

Yep, that's what I thought. If I'd had to pay for it I never would have tried it. Like I said, he was a friend so it was gratis.

It was such an incredibly high concentration of alcohol that it was unlike anything I'd ever been exposed to before. Had I "known" how to drink and enjoy it I probably would have appreciated it more. Instead it made my eyes red, my nose run and I was instant blotto.

Scylla wonders elsewhere if an alcohol enhanced pee can ever be flammable. The stuff I was served certainly gave you an opinion on the subject.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rampisad
americans often call Scotch "whiskey" which in some way associates it with the paint-stripper that they produce in their chemical factories.
Well where I come from Whiskey is Irish and Whisky is Scottish so der. I don't know about that paint-stripper ye boyos drink

Old 12-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Here (in Wisconsin) there's an odd tradition of serving drinks that would be made with scotch or whiskey anywhere else but here they're made with brandy.

Without asking, mind you. Order an "Old-Fashioned" and you'll get a Brandy Old-Fashioned.

Which is a great way to enjoy brandy (and a comfort food by now, as my dad has been making them for many decades). Or a "Brandy Old-Fashioned Sweet" if you have a sweet tooth.

digs
Old 12-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Actually I thought it was egg nog and 151, or rum. I coulda sworn that egg nog was made with a little rum in it already...
Depends on what your own preference is. I've seen eggnogs that use brandy, rum or whiskey. (No, not combined in the same batch!)

I know someone who makes homemade eggnog, complete with letting that mixture of raw egg, cream, sugar, booze etc. ferment in the basement for a month. She makes separate batches using rum and brandy. No one has died yet.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:11 PM
digs--I've heard that Wisconsin has the highest per-capita consumption of brandy.

I friend of mine went on co-op in North Carolina, and was a bit surprised when he ordered an Old-Fashioned and it wasn't made with brandy.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Send that extra brandy to meeeee.

I'm one of those Wisconsinites that grew up sneaking sips from my mom's brandy and sour. Or brandy and any sour soda like 50/50 or Squirt. Tasty way to use up the cheap stuff.

Brandy alexanders are definitely best with ice cream. Alcoholic milkshakes. Num num.

And brandy ball cookies. Just use the bourbon or rum ball recipes.

Eggnog and Tom and Jerrys are made with 1 shot rum and 1 shot brandy. Up here, we do not mess around when warming up on cold nights. One shot might not be enough.

And the other night at Chili's I actually had a marguerita with a shot of Presidente in it. What a good idea! Another way to use brandy.

And for sipping, E & J VSOP is pretty good. Just paid extra for a bottle of Korbel and it seems harsh in comparison.

Felling strangely thirsty. Is it happy hour, yet?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:25 PM
It's always Happy Hour in the Magic Drinking Kingdom!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ukulele Ike
Mail me your unused Cognacs and Armagnacs.
Er..... you do know that mailing booze across a state line is illegal in most states right?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Quote:
It's always Happy Hour in the Magic Drinking Kingdom!

It seems as if you've started with out us!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Quote:
"80 dollars a shot???? That's insane!"

Yep, that's what I thought. If I'd had to pay for it I never would have tried it. Like I said, he was a friend so it was gratis.

It was such an incredibly high concentration of alcohol that it was unlike anything I'd ever been exposed to before. Had I "known" how to drink and enjoy it I probably would have appreciated it more. Instead it made my eyes red, my nose run and I was instant blotto.

Scylla wonders elsewhere if an alcohol enhanced pee can ever be flammable. The stuff I was served certainly gave you an opinion on the subject.
My mind is continuing to boggle here. Just to clear this up for me, when you say "80 dollars a shot", do you mean a shot as in the amount that fits in a shotglass, or do you mean a bottle?

Also, I thought all brandies were in the neighborhood of 40% alcohol, the same as most hard liquors. Do I have that wrong?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Manduck
My mind is continuing to boggle here. Just to clear this up for me, when you say "80 dollars a shot", do you mean a shot as in the amount that fits in a shotglass, or do you mean a bottle?

Also, I thought all brandies were in the neighborhood of 40% alcohol, the same as most hard liquors. Do I have that wrong?

80 dollars is high!

As far as the 40% thing, I'd say that most hard liquors are around that, but it's not uncommon to see anywhere from 40% (80 proof) to 55% (110 proof). Also, depending on where you live, 151 proof can be legal, as well as 180 (everclear, I believe).
Old 12-12-2002, 10:31 AM
It was at The Mansion on Turtle Creek so it was bound to be pricey but I think it was called Napoleon Brandy or something like that and it was 80 dollars for a snifter of the stuff, which probably equates to somewhere between one and two shot glasses of the stuff. This was back in the mid 1980's or so.

It was like getting a nose hit off a Zippo but you could tell that it obviously was really good stuff. Some more friends joined us later and I couldn't carry on a normal conversation. Thank goodness I didn't develop a taste for the stuff.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:46 AM
You people are too mature

Quote:
She taste good?

Sua

I can't believe no one asked that yet.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Quote:
It was at The Mansion on Turtle Creek so it was bound to be pricey but I think it was called Napoleon Brandy or something like that and it was 80 dollars for a snifter of the stuff, which probably equates to somewhere between one and two shot glasses of the stuff. This was back in the mid 1980's or so.

It was like getting a nose hit off a Zippo but you could tell that it obviously was really good stuff. Some more friends joined us later and I couldn't carry on a normal conversation. Thank goodness I didn't develop a taste for the stuff.
It couldn't have been Napolean Brandy, unless it was an expensive, old one:
http://skywards.co.nz/listBrandy.htm
Old 12-12-2002, 11:44 AM
When you've started the day by writing-off half of a bill because a client couldn't wrap his mind around your outrageous and entirely unjustifiable billing rates, segued to a 3 hour non-billable meeting in which a decision on secretarial assignments was again not made, continued by efficiently finalizing a beautiful and creative letter to shareholders for a deal WHICH NO ONE BOTHERED TO MENTION WAS CALLED OFF YESTERDAY, and topped the day off with a conference call to discuss how a witness in a client trial has just insinuated that firm records have been falsified and that we all should be disbarred, well, then, brandy tastes good.