Old 01-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Things that send shivers down your spine...

I was just curious what were some of the things that sends shivers down your spine.

For me, personally, it's the thought of scratching a bar of soap with my fingernails. I also can't stand even the thought of scraping my teeth along a rough brick wall.

So... what are yours?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
Such matters belong in the IMHO forum, and there it has been sent.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Charter Member
When just after I hit "submit" I realize I posted to the wrong forum. Eeeehhhgghghgh!

To throw a GQ into the mix I once saw a documentary a LONG time ago when I was a wee lad. I remember them analyzing the squeaks of Styrofoam and scraping of chalkboard and coming up with some surprising results when they separated the sounds the parts that had the "shiver" effect came from the low end of the spectrum. Did I hear that right? Do I remember that right? Any further info?

RhythSCREEECCCHdvl
Old 01-10-2003, 08:02 PM
I can't stand it when someone folds a piece of paper in half, and then run their fingernails over the crease.

EEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Come here ivylass... A little closer

pffffffttthtftfhtfhfthftfhftfhtfhftfhfthfthfthttttttttttttttt

heh, heh, heh,

For me, it's when someone clips their fingernails or toenails at work.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:40 PM
This actually used to send shivers down my spine: When I was young, I used to bite down on popsicle sticks and yank them out of my mouth with my teeth still clamped down on them. Ah, the stupidity of youth.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:48 PM
If by shivers you also mean makes you want to kill someone on the spot, it would be chewing on ice or eating potato chips right next to you with their mouth open..

I don't know, must be a frequency thing...
Old 01-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Overall I have the sensitivity of a rock (sedimentary) but a few things still conjure up involuntary heebie-jeebies:
  • * the subliminal flickering/buzz of malfunctioning fluorescent lights

* the feel of anything "nappy" on my tongue, e.g. popsickle sticks, fabric, etc. (Think: licking velvet.) Never ask me to lick a wooden spoon.

* metal grates in sidewalks, webbed or solid. (The mysterious entries to the guts of nearby buildings.) They're scarier than hell, just by existing. I never trust that they've been properly secured from underneath, and by merely walking over them I'll plummet helplessly into whatever scarey stuff lurks floors below.

* anything tight around my neck. I can barely tolerate turtlenecks for daily wear; anything binding around my neck at night, even covers, spooks me out.

* that incredibly hideous, three-tone phone signal when you need to add an additional pre-fix number. It's always like listening to, well, styrofoam being scrunched or nails down a chalk board.

Veb
Old 01-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TVeblen
* metal grates in sidewalks, webbed or solid. (The mysterious entries to the guts of nearby buildings.) They're scarier than hell, just by existing.
Wow. I like that stuff. Seriously. I especially like to walk over metal grates when I'm wearing my boots . . . k-klank, k-klank. If there's steam or something rising up out of the grate, all the better. I'll admit that there's a scary element, but for me it's always a "cool scary," like a short story by Stephen King or H.P. Lovecraft or somebody.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhythmdvl
. . . when they separated the sounds the parts that had the "shiver" effect came from the low end of the spectrum. Did I hear that right? Do I remember that right? Any further info?
Well, this site about tiger noises seems to support your idea that sounds from the low end of the specturm can affect somebody. I used to have some other websites like this stored in my Favorites, but I can't find them tonight. And to give credit where credit is due, I think I originally found the website I provided a link to here at the SDMB . . . although I couldn't find a thread about tiger noises when I searched. Aw well.

That said, I thought I heard that many of the sounds that cause cold chills are similar in some way to the warning sounds given by perturbed snakes . . . sorry, no cite on that, it's just something I've heard.

Anyway . . . things that give me the cold chills . . .

Sight:

Plastic bags in baby cribs. I saw that at somebody's house one time and my mind's eye saw the horrible potential and . . . brrrr!

Sound:

The skr-skreeeeeee-skreennn-skreeenk-k-k sound of metal grinding on metal that could frequently be heard at a factory in which I once worked really bothered me when I was new there. Of course the sound of metal on metal can be heard in lots of places. However, there was just something particularly bad about the sound at this one particular factory. I got over it, though.

Sensation:

A metal hook stuck between my teeth and gums. Really, anything stuck between my teeth and gums, but thus far in life it has mostly been a metal hook.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Fingernails scratching down a blackboard...EEEEEEEEEEEEK!

The only thing worse than that are sirens. Doesn't matter what kind. I hear one and I automatically want to crawl into a hole with my hands over my ears...
Old 01-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Oddly enough, falling.

And I used to skydive.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:35 PM
York's Peppermint Patties
Old 01-10-2003, 11:08 PM
I used to work in a research lab with an opthalmologist. She once showed me some of the pictures of various cases she had. One was of a guy that had a large fish hook snagged deep into his eye. Anytime I see anything to do with fishing, I think of that picture and the shivers start. (However, it didn't bother me to slice up the eyes from people only a couple of hours dead and prepare them for histological examination, go figure)
Old 01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
The feel of brown paper bags, especially grocery bags. Oof.

Plastic for me, thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:05 AM
When anyone files their fingernails around me. It's bad. I don't mind the sensation of it, just the noise.

My theology teacher would run her nails down the chalkboard to get our attention last year. It worked. Very well.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by stochastic
. One was of a guy that had a large fish hook snagged deep into his eye.
(Veb sits down--quickly--with her head between her knees, uttering faint, bat-like wheezes.)

I forgot to mention one.
The Surgery Channel.

Ulp,
Veb
Old 01-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Charter Member
My shivery (in a bad way) things are the sound of utensils on ceramic (think knife scraping across dinner plate - yeeze, I can hardly type now), fingernails on unglazed ceramic, and clipping and filing fingernails. I hate clipping my nails - I just have to grit my teeth and get it over with. Oh, and a snagged fingernail - yikes. Or when a fingernail gets snapped back. I think I have a fingernail thing.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:15 AM
Acckkk... me too, lou.

Tile-top dining room table. Two year old Skeezling. Metal fork.

It's a race to see whether the Mrs. or I say it first.

"Stop that now, please!"

She, of course, thinks making mommy and daddy's spines curl up backwards is hysterical. I keep asking her if she wants to make it to her third birthday, but she keeps laughing at me.

By gum, I think she sees through me.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:24 AM
Fingernails down a chalkboard drive me crazy. Makes me cringe, shiver and clench my teeth. My kids used to love doing this when they found out it was a bugbear of mine.

People chewing ice. Just the thought of chomping ice, gives me goosies.

Utensils screeching on a plate. Too reminescent of nails on a chalkboard.

Hubby. Not in general, but he does these impressions of Gollum and Jack the Ripper that just creeps me out. Just too bloody realistic...
Old 01-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Chewing on a dry towel. I have no explanation for this.

Sliding down a razor blade into a pool full of alcohol... unless it's beer.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 PM
I can't touch cotton wool, especially not squeeze it. It seems to have the same effect on my as someone removing something packaged very tightly in polystyrene.

I know about the whole chewing on a dry towel thing, too. Happened when I had to pull the gauze off of a nasty wound on my leg, and it was all stuck on with dried blood. I did it in the bathroom, and knew pulling it off would hurt, so I grabbed the towel to bite down on (why?!?). However, the nasty sensation from the towel was far worse than the actual gauze thing. Felt like cotton wool but a kazillion times worse...
Old 01-11-2003, 10:14 PM
lieu posted this: Chewing on a dry towel. I have no explanation for this.

I KNOW exactly what you mean, and please don't ask me to explain it. I think it comes from bathing and having to hold a towel in your mouth and do several other things (like put on clothes when you're in the gym at age 12 or something) at the same time, but it makes me want to URP!

And also the sound of a crash, like metal, two cars hitting each other. And then sirens. And knowing I can't do anything about it. But I still want to go and look. Eh, I'm a morbid sort.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh thank Cecil, I thought I was the only one with the teeth & dry towel shivers. If my teeth are wet I don't mind it, but the sensation of the cotton on my dry teeth :shudder:

Also, foam rubber in general gives me the heebies. The sight of a big slab of it reminds me of when I was about 4 and my parents and I had gone to the store to get some foam rubber for something. And being 4, I thought the best thing to do with it on the way home was run my teeth over it. Warped my for life.
(The towel thing is probably an offshoot of the foam rubber thing, for me anyway.)
Old 01-13-2003, 10:29 PM
There's this one trailer for a movie (I've forgotten the title). It show's a guy reaching his hand into a garbage disposal to pull something out, and you just know what's going to happen next...it just makes me shudder.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:30 AM
Metal scratching against metal, like a flipper cleaning off a short-order grill *shudder*. And that "Rocks Tonic Something Something" song makes my skin crawl.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Videodrome, where the chest cavity turns into a VCR.....

Some of the scenes in the rather long but well developed indy film "Breaking the Waves" come close.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 AM
Peeled apple against a plate. Shudder...
Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Stochastic said, "One was of a guy that had a large fish hook snagged deep into his eye."

That actually happened to me. Ultimate gross-out. Ripped my eyelid off and fucked up my eyeball.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:48 AM
When people rub dry paper towels on their dry hands, I have no idea why but I hate that. Also the styrofoam thing drives me nuts.

Blood. Even typing out the word made me queasy, and now I can't look at the screen.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:52 AM
syringes and cockroaches.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Chewing on yarn.

*skritch, skritch, skritch*

ugh...
Old 01-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Biting wet terrycloth.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:15 PM
For some reason a loud "raspberry" in my near vicinity gives me a horribly unpleasant sensation in my sinuses. Accidently chewing on foil wrapping is another ewwie. Paper cuts or having to have my fingertip pricked are baaaaaad.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Butt floss.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Oh...balloons popping. I hate that. I refuse to have balloons at parties because they pop. Uh-uh, no how, no way, thank you very much.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Ugg, anything going into or coming out of my ear or anyone elses. Good example, The Wrath of Kahn, when they put those mind control bugs in their ears. Shudder.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:43 PM
For me, the shivers start when handling wet wooden objects. For instance, when doing dishes and washing a wooden spoon...or taking a shower and using one of those exfoliating sponges with a wooden handle. ICK!

And include me with those who hate cockroaches, fingers on blackboards, and handling paper bags.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Mine is purely hypothetical as it has never happened.

A straight razor being scraped along my teeth. I have now idea how this image came into my head but I am having cold sweats as I write this. This is the though that keeps me up at night.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:49 PM
It is also the thought that keeps me up at night (see, I can't even type when I think about it!).
Old 01-14-2003, 02:04 PM
I just want to say that I tried to read this entire thread, but I only got about a third of the way down before I had to run screaming from my desk, clawing at my skin, yelling "Bugs! BUGS! GET 'EM OFF ME!!!"

Now that I'm all better (and I scrolled down to the bottom without reading anything), I can say that I am creeped out by the feel of squooshing cotton balls.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 PM
This is an awful thread, but so far no one has mentioned mine.

I can't even bear to think of my fingernails bending back. The usual circumstance of this would be digging in the sand and then nails hitting some object and bending ugh ooh sorry I can't go on.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Replays of American football, wherein the announcer states "You can see his leg bend the wrong way right here. Lets look at that again . . . "

Also, front teeth on chalky chalkboard. Sidewalk chalk gives me the willies too.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:29 PM
I would have to say seeing some guy getting nailed right in the family jewels. I think all guys cringe when they see that, sort of this the beer commerial where they show a bunch of different cultures of guys watching a soccer guy and every guy winces at the same time when a player gets socked right in the twigs and berries.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Like Gravity said, chewing on yarn. Honestly, just writing that literally made shivers go down my spine. Simply thinking about yarn between my teeth never fails to do it. I have no idea why this is.

Tanaqui
Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 PM
A thousand slimy things crawling on a slimy sea.

Eurgh, I can't stand slimy things they freak me right out
Old 01-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Anyone talking about eye injuries
Spitting. When people make that noise, I gag.
Undercooked eggs
People chewing on their hair
Flicking of fingernails
Double-Jointed people showing off
Biting down the wrong way so your teeth match up wrong.
The very thought of childbirth

Those very odd solidified spit balls that people get on their lips that sometimes attach to the other lip or any other time that thickened saliva is visible when someone is speaking.

Dragging forks along teeth
Seeing someone lick a sharp knife
Cutting too hard on porcelain plates
Clipping my dogs toenails

Cleaning out that bag of gizzards from the thanksgiving turkey
Touching someone elses socks
Wet paper that clings to you
Feeling your hair going the wrong/rough way

Weird thing
Wet peanut butter. I love peanut butter, but soak some in water and the puke-juices start flowing
Old 01-15-2003, 12:42 AM
The feel of my teeth being dry. Like when the dentist dries your tooth with that mini blow dryer. UGH! Just thinking about it makes me break out in goosebumps!!

The feel of dry cement when my fingers are wet. Sliding my hand or fingers over a piece of paper.

The fingernails on a chalkboard never really bothered me, but the sound of a dry finger rubbing brand new tupperware or tupperware-like containers.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 AM
This thread.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Charter Member
That chick on the sitcom "The Nany" Fran Dresser? or something?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:01 AM
I don't have a problem with most of the stuff people mentioned here, including the fingernails on etc. In fact, I had to go try chewing on a towel to see if it was as bad as advertised. (It wasn't.)

Now this doesn't make my spine shiver, but it does make me feel ill at ease and frustrated. The smell of wet pavement. Something about that odd, dusty smell has always made me tense. Which is really strange, now that I think of it.

Also, I've never enjoyed the dentist's suction device. Especially when it catches the inside of my cheek.

Do you think there's some sort of instinctual unpleasantness about having an unnaturally dry mouth?