Old 01-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Celery: Rib or stalk?

My mom wanted me to ask this: Is a celery "stalk" the bunch that you buy, with the twist-tie around it, while a "rib" is the individual stalk, like you put in a Bloody Mary?

I think the terms "rib" and "stalk" are interchangeable...but if so, then what do you call the whole bunch? A "head"?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
A quick peruse of Google shows "stalk" used for both the whole thing and one rib -- although I did find one site that said UK usage is "head" (whole thing) and "stick" (one rib). Personally, I try to use "head" or "bunch" for the whole thing and "stalk" for one unit. I've never used "rib," although I recognize it as a legitimate term.

You know, this kinda reminds me of the ubiquitous story about the cook who didn't know the difference between a head and a clove of garlic . . .
Old 01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
To me rib is reserved for meat, stalk is the term I would use for a single piece of celery and head i would use for the whole thing.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump