Old 01-30-2003, 04:12 AM
BANNED
Old men and high pants, why?

I was wondering why old men have high wastelines, the "pants rising to the armpits" routine. Is this biological over time? What is the reason for this (disorder?)
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 AM
It's because they're fat.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Just my two cents:
I've started developing a pot-belly over the last few years, and it seems that you have three choices when it comes to keeping your pants up.
First, you can just tighten your belt. This only works to a certain extent, and at some point you're belted in to the point of pain.
Second, you can wear suspenders. That is what I do. They hold your pants up quite well. I wear a belt with them, though, because my shirt tends to come untucked all the time if I just wear suspenders.
Third, you can buy pants with a high waist and fasten your belt above your belly. I suspect that this is where the observed phenomenon comes from. Rather than face up to having a pot-belly and doing something reasonable (I'm trying to lose weight, btu wear suspenders in the mean time,) a lot of men just decide to pull their pants up higher and pretendthat they can still wear the same size pants they always have.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:10 AM
look at some old movies from the 40s and 50s you should see the people wearing their pants higher then we do today. They are just wearing clothes in the way they grew up wearing them.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:06 AM
It really has to do with inseams and waist size in pants.

As pants get larger around the waist, the inseam gets bigger. Combine that with the pot belly and lack of an ass that comes as men get older and the only way to keep pants up - even with a belt- is to hunch them up to the gut, well above the hips, and hope friction keeps them there.

The extra inseam capacity means the pants can be hunched up further than normal before the insame invades the family jewels living space.

Just 1-2" of hunching up the pants can make pants look like "floods" or "high waters".

Definitely more common in men who:

1. have no ass due to muscle atrophy from aging
2. have a little belly

I've researched this before for a friend who went on to design clothes. Suspenders are the only way of keeping the pants up, and to keep them looking like high-waters, the wearer should buy all future pants 2" longer. For example, if they wear a 40" waist and 30" length. They might need a 42" waist to get the pants up and over the belly (instead of wedged under the gut), and they should buy pants with a 32" length (since they are now pulling the pants over the belly). Most men just add to waist size of the pants and pull them up and over the gut. They neglect to buy pants that are longer as well.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:16 AM
For me, it's the realization that, with the wisdom of age, wearing my pants higher is more damned comfortable. And it's usually with ''dress" pants, as opposed to jeans. Plus, dress pants tend to be just that--dressy--and of nice material; they are enjoyable to be garbed in. Dockers and Levis are still comfy, but aren't really dressy. Those low-slung styles are just that--styles--that do look better on younger people, who, if I recall my own experience accurately, will put themselves through nearly any discomfort as long as they look stylish.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Ok, so where should a man wear his pants?, exactly where is the waistline in the opinion of the "fashion police"?.

unclviny
Old 01-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Older people are often a couple inches shorter than they once were. They also often don't stand on ceremony and don't feel inclined to go out and buy a new wardrobe when they have all the clothes they need. So the pants they have look higher.

My $0.02, but the other answers make sense too.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unclviny
Ok, so where should a man wear his pants?, exactly where is the waistline in the opinion of the "fashion police"?.

unclviny
Just below the navel, or such that no part of the lower body extends beyond/over the beltline.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Interesting that this thread should come up. I recently was given my fathers family album. Lots of pictures of my grandparents and great uncles from the 40's (great uncles would have been in their mid to late twenties) Most if not all of the men had pants that were high on the waistline. I thought that they actually looked pretty cool myself. I thought maybe I might buy me a pair of "retro" slacks just to see what I would look like. By the way I am over 30 and in great shape. (although an argument about my sense of style being in great shape could probably be argued)
Old 01-30-2003, 12:35 PM
And the old folks look at us and wonder why we wear our pants so low.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:28 PM
I hope this doesn't mean that in another sixty years we're going to have a bunch of grandpas walking around with their asses hanging out. Not a pretty sight.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Remember that people get shorter as they get older, and clothes don't shrink as fast as the wearers. And we all know how stubborn old people are about buying new clothes, so they have to keep their pants on somehow, and it's better to let them ride high than to let the cuffs drag.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Could it also be from back problems? We had a librarian when I was at parochial school who seemed to have scoliosis, and she always wore her skirts hitched up right under her breasts.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Our pants are the same height they've always been. We're just melting.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM
I am an old man. I have a pot belly, and no ass. If I wear my pants comfortably loose, they fall off. I am thinking of getting overalls.

I am not fashionable. But that's not an old man thing, I was never fashionable. In High School I wore black shoes, with tan pants, and a knit shirt. (No pocket protector, but I did have a slide rule with a carrying case.) It was 1963.

Tris
----------------------
"It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxims." ~ Aristotle ~
Old 01-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Second, you can wear suspenders. That is what I do. They hold your pants up quite well. I wear a belt with them, though, because my shirt tends to come untucked all the time if I just wear suspenders.
From 100 Things Every Guy Should Know

Quote:
Never wear suspenders with a belt. That’s clown shit, man.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nswgru1
Lots of pictures of my grandparents and great uncles from the 40's (great uncles would have been in their mid to late twenties) Most if not all of the men had pants that were high on the waistline.
when i was a lad and we wore edwardian dress...teddy boys
we used to get 6" waisband put on our drainpipes
we werent fat.
and the pockets were far down
look at shots of isambard k brunel in the shipyards
his waist is just under his clavicle.
now i am fat and it feels more secure to have the pot under cover
ps the family jewels have been hocked
just imitations now
Old 01-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Paprika
Older people are often a couple inches shorter than they once were. They also often don't stand on ceremony and don't feel inclined to go out and buy a new wardrobe when they have all the clothes they need. So the pants they have look higher.

My $0.02, but the other answers make sense too.
If you shrunk a few inches, wouldn't the pants look longer?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Triskadecamus
I am an old man. I have a pot belly, and no ass. If I wear my pants comfortably loose, they fall off. I am thinking of getting overalls.
I bet that's what you say to all the girls..... What an excellent post, Tris – or can we call you Gran’paw Walton ?

ps. I think you’ve found the answer; Overalls !!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:25 PM
The answer is quite simple . . . older men wear their pants as highwaters because it rules! I can't wait until I can wear my pants that way.

I guess I don't have to wait . . . pulling my pants up way higher . . . oh, that's nice!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by World Eater
If you shrunk a few inches, wouldn't the pants look longer?
The pants would, unless you pulled them up to your armpits and cinched 'em with a belt.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Philster
It really has to do with inseams and waist size in pants.

As pants get larger around the waist, the inseam gets bigger. Combine that with the pot belly and lack of an ass that comes as men get older and the only way to keep pants up - even with a belt- is to hunch them up to the gut, well above the hips, and hope friction keeps them there.

The extra inseam capacity means the pants can be hunched up further than normal before the insame invades the family jewels living space.

Just 1-2" of hunching up the pants can make pants look like "floods" or "high waters".
So close, and yet so completely wrong! The inseam is the measurement from the crotch to the hem of the leg. Extra length in the inseam would help avoid the dreaded high waters look, but would do nothing to prevent auto-castration if you tried to pull a pair of normal-rise pants up to your waist. The measurement that allows for more room for the family jewels is called the rise, and is defined as the distance from the crotch seam to the waistband.

Jeans have relatively low rises, especially the low-riders they're selling to young women again, these days (bless their hearts! ), sometimes as little as 4 inches in extreme cases. Typical men's jeans range from about 6 to 9 inches, depending on style (classic, straight-leg versus relaxed fit, for example). Dress pants range up to about 12 inches, though this also varies with the style. The "armpit" pants you folks have been talking about I would guess to have a rise of 16 inches, or more.

I wouldn't advise it, but you can test this out easily enough, should you be interested. Go to a store and pick out a pair of jeans in your waist size, but with the longest inseam you can find. Take them to the fitting room, and try to (gently! ) pull them up to your armpits. Ain't gonna happen, no matter how long the inseam is.

Manufacturers also tend to make the rise higher (longer) in proportion to the waist size. So, a larger waist size will have more rise than a smaller pair of the same style pants.