Old 02-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Why are Michael Jackson's fingers "taped"?

After watching the 20/20 Special on Michael Jackson tonight, I noticed that Michael had some weird tape on some of his fingers.

It looked like masking tape, and it was only on 3 fingers, on the hand that I saw. And at the beginning of this particular interview (towards the end of the special), the camera breifly showed Michael putting the tape on his fingers.

Is this some kind of weird "fad"? Is there something wrong with his hands or something?

LilShieste

Note: I have MANY questions after watching this special... but this is the only one I have never heard anything about.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:19 PM
BANNED
When Michael Jackson dies, I suspect someone will find a way to dissect his brain and instantly discover the causes of three dozen mental disorders.

The only reason I've seen hands taped is for the obvious medical reasons when you need to immobilize/stabilize the digit. Haven't seen the video you are referring to, though.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Charter Member
He's stated that he's trying to symbolize the pain and suffering of the world.

And he's weird.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:31 PM
One of his idols growing up, I can't remember which one, was rumoured to do it, so he does it.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:25 AM
I've only seen guitar players and althletes do that.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:05 AM
According to Jay Leno's routine, it's because he doesn't want to leave fingerprints all over the little boys he invites into his bedroom.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:16 AM
I assumed they were bandaids. Looking at his hands early in the episode, I noticed that his fingertips are really chewed up looking or something. I figured he was an obsessive nail (and hangnail) biter.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:32 PM
I don't have a cite for this, but I did have a Eureka! moment over this same question while watching his interview and bits and pieces of the media aftermath. Like Alias, I noticed when MJ was holding the boy Gavin's hand in the interview, a few of his fingernails (MJ's) looked infected. At the end of the interview, he was shown taping his fingernails, and while I didn't tape the show, it did seem to me he had taped the affected nails. I wondered if it had anything to do with skin bleaching or the claimed vitiligo. I'm sure there could be simpler reasons, but that's my best guess.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:17 PM
How about, BECAUSE HE'S A FREAK!!!??