Old 04-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
My little sister drank an entire bottle of NyQuil

I don't know what to say or write right now. i'm putting this in the Pit because I don't know what's going to come flying out of my fingers and onto the screen, and I don't want to get banned for using bad words somewhere like MPSIMS.

I got a call from my mom on Friday. My little sister was missing (she's 14). She said that she was going to a friend's house the next town over, and that she would call when she got there. When she was late in calling, my mom tried to call her cell phone. You know, just to make sure she got there okay. No answer. It was ringing, but no one was picking up. My mom left a message. Then, she called one of my sister's friends to see if maybe she was there. The friend's dad answered. He said that the friend wasn't there, either, and that Anna (a girl from school my sister used to be friends with) had called and said that my sister and her friend were planning on running away.

At this point, my mom called me, freaking out. She told me everything. I told her that it might just be a rumor, and that, since Anna and my sister had had a pretty nasty falling out, it was possibly done solely to get my sister and her friend in trouble. I told her to calm down, keep in contact with the dad, and to call me if she hadn't heard from my sister by eight (it was maybe six thirty), or if she showed up.

I got a call around seven. Jessica's dad had gone driving around the area, and found them in South Elgin (which is south of us). They were trying to run away (with no money or anything). I think they had to call the police to get my sister's friend in the car--my sister came willingly as soon as my mom came.

So my mom and sister had a talk, and then my dad and my sister had a talk. I don't know everything, because I'm certain that there are some things that are remaining confidential (as they should be), but what I do know is pretty bad.

My sister is depressed. Very depressed. She hates school and wants to drop out (she got straight As last semester). She hates being at home because of my dad. She hates my dad. She doesn't see the point of being in school, or of anything. She said she doesn't want to live.

And, last week, she drank an entire bottle of NyQuil. An. Entire. Fucking. Bottle. Of. NyQuil. My little sister did this.

My mom is freaking out. She never went through anything like this with me, she says. My sister doesn't want to confide in her like I did. It's freaking her out, and she doesn't need this right now, especially with worrying about my dad's employment status and all that stuff. So my mom's been talking to me, and I've been the strong one.

I don't know what to say or do. I told my mom to *make* my sister talk to a therapist or a psychiatrist or something, because I think she needs it if she's downing NyQuil as a recreational activity (and she did it to kill herself, NOT to get high, or that's what she claims). I don't know if my parents will, though. They're not the best about this therapy thing. And I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that it's my little sister who's doing thing. Standing Operating Procedure is to kick anyone's ass who tries to mess with her. But she's messing with herself, and I don't know what to do.

And I fucking hate this world that makes her feel this way, I hate Motorola for laying off my dad and making life so stressful that it would drive my sister to this, and I hate biochemistry for making her depressed. And I don't fucking know what to do.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:48 PM
((((Hugs)))))

I'm so sorry about your sister and her situation. It's tough being a teenager, let alone not getting along with parents.

I do hope she can get some counseling, or perhaps an intervention. Because she is a minor, I don't blame you for feeling helpless-- but you are older than her so perhaps you could start the intervention (or whatever you want to call it).

Good luck...try and hang in there.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, I'm sure some Dopers will come along a recommend a good place to get some help. In the meantime, my thoughts are with you and your family. I hope this difficult time will be behind you in the days ahead.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
I truly hope your sister does feel better soon.

Even though she may not feel comfortable confiding in your parents, keep being there so she can confide in you. Also, be careful with an intervention. If someone gave me an intervention, they probably wouldn't see me again (meaning I'd leave). It might be very successful in some cases, but be careful.

Best of luck to your sister and yourself.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:26 PM
I definitely sympathize, Angel -- it's horrible to watch someone you love going through such a hard time.

As for the therapy angle, are there any counseling services available at her school? At my HS way back in the day, the counselors were there -- they weren't too useful in and of themselves, but they could provide a sympathetic ear and give recommendations for therapists.

The best of luck to you, your sister and your family.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Maybe the three of them (little sis, mom & dad) should get some family counseling.

Do you have any idea of what your sister's beef with your dad is?

Can she come live with you?

Good luck.

Zebra
Old 04-14-2003, 01:52 PM
You haven't said how old she is. Is she going through puberty? Because that can mess a girl up BIG time, chemicals running rampant, and getting unbalanced all the time. (take it from someone who went through puberty in the same 6-month period that my mom was going through menopause - not fun!)
Old 04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Great googily moogily, thas a blower Angel. One option would be to go to her high school in off hours and find the guidance office and ask that she be called in to talk, or find their PE department and talk to the Health (sex ed. drug ed., usually taught through the Phys. Ed. department) teacher and request that he/she have a chat with her.

Chances are between guidance and Health they'll have an adult with their heads on straight, and in my experience the adults in these positions really do care about the kids. My Health teacher, I learned when I aided for her, had helped a lot of girls through a lot of tought situations.

Since she'll be in school anyway it shouldn't be too hard to get her into guidance, probably be harder to get her to family therapy but you def want to shoot for that too. Best of luck, damn
Old 04-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Good grief, Angel. How frightening. Is there anything I can do? I'm right in the area, as you know. My daughter's 13, but I'd be willing to bet she knows your sister or some of your sister's friends. Can we reach out to her, maybe have her over for an afternoon of downtime? If there's anything I can do to help, email me - you know the addy.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Shit. I didn't know about the NyQuil part. If you need late night runs to Dennys or the lounge, just tell me.

Take care of yourself too, chica. You know what I mean.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:19 PM
oh shite.
i'm sorry.
(((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Angel of the Lord, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. You say you don't know what to - I strongly believe that you're on the right track with your idea of getting her someone to talk to. But more important at this moment, in my opinion, is getting her a thorough physical examination and some lab tests.

Nyquil contains acetaminophen, the generic form of Tylenol. In excess it can cause liver damage. An entire bottle of Nyquil is a LOT of acetaminophen. Don't let a lack of symptoms fool you - acetaminophen toxicity can cause remarkably few symptoms until significant damage has occurred to the liver, sometimes days later.

I strongly urge you to do what you can to have her examined by a physician as soon as possible. There are therapies available that can be of benefit, even this late, should she need them.

Good Luck - you sound like a wonderful and caring sibling.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, great god almighty, here all you folks except Ginkgo are nattering away about "getting her some counseling" when that may be the least of this family's problems. Is she in intensive care? Is she on life support? Acetominophen overdose means liver damage, and not as in, "oh, she's sick"--it means as in, "needs a liver transplant right now".

So how IS she?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
DDG, I doubt that AotL would be going on about getting Little Sis into therapy if her life or health were in serious danger.

Angel, my thoughts and prayers are with her, and you, and your family.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Acetaminophen doesn't make you keel over and die - liver toxicity has a relatively slow onset. A 10-oz. bottle of Nyquil contains about 10 grams of acetaminophen, which is more than enough to cause liver damage (and I wish I'd thought of it sooner. damn.)
Old 04-14-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry, all i can say is i sympathize. 2 weeks ago my sister (age 17) tried a similar thing, right now my parents after 31 years of marriage are talking about getting a divorce and it's been hard on everyone, but especially on her since she is the only sibling that lives at home. So one night when she was on spring break she tried to kill herself by drinking herself to death. She drank a 1/5th of vodka very quickly and her BAC was 2.12. She was with "friends" who apparently let her do this to herself at which point when she got unconcious they freaked out and called some boys to help them. They took her to my parents house (why not the hospital- who knows) who then took her to the ER. Luckily, they were able to save her life and she was put into a psychiatric ward (and was just released a few days ago) I have been dealing with alot of what you are...frustration, anger, denial, all the classic steps. I would say that therapy is a must though. My sister is doing it right now, hates it, but you know- that's what you get when you do something that drastic. The one thing she did say to me though, was she was glad she didn't die, and all the people who came to see her at the hospital made her realize that she was loved. I've found great solace for myself by talking to other friends who either knew people who killed, or tried to kill themselves- just to get it out of system, since holding it in was tearing ME up. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM
I agree. Unless this has already been taken care of, HOSPITAL. NOW.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:33 PM
A daughter of a friend of my mom's nearly died from a deliberate acetominophen overdose. GET HER TO A HOSPITAL.

THEN get her, and the rest of the family, some counseling. Please. This sounds like a dreadful situation for all involved.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Charter Member
Angel, first let me say how sorry I am for your troubles. I'll throw in another vote for your sister needing immediated medical attention.

About 5 months ago, my 15-year-old daughter tried to kill herself by swallowing a bunch of cold medicine. She ended up in the ER, and from there they sent her to a psych hospital that specializes in treating children and adolescents. At that hospital, she was diagnosed as clinically depressed, and put on Prozac. Since then, she's been switched to Lexapro. I'm telling you all of this because things have gotten better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My daughter also goes to therapy twice a week and group therapy once a week. Once a month, we make it a family therapy. It's a tough road, but it can be navigated.

I will pray for you and your family.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Charter Member
Oh, I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks before her suicide attempt, she ran away. She was gone all night. Scared the shit out of us! Her story just sounds so much like your sisters!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
I called my mom and told her the take her to the hospital thing. I'm pressing the issue as much as I can. My mom doesn't think it's a big deal because she did it over a week ago (she just got around to telling my mom on Sunday, and my mom just got around to telling me today) and now says she only finished 3/4 of the bottle; I'm making sure she at least gets blood tests. If I were at home, I'd take her myself, but I'm stuck at school until Thursday, at which point I will probably take her if they don't. My mom really resents the fact that I'm being so insistent, because it seems like I'm telling her what to do. Which, admittedly, I am. Thing is, my mom's all like, "we need to take this one step at the time." I'm trying to tell her that, while she can't do everything under the sun at once, she's going to have to deal with multiple things at the same time.

She got in to see the school counselor. She seemed happy when I talked to her tonight, but it's not as though I could see her facial expressions.

BTW, if she'd *just* downed the bottle of NyQuil, I wouldn't be going on about counseling. I wouldn't even be posting here. I'd've been going approximately 100mph down I-90 to get home. She is not, as far as I can tell in need of immediate medical attention--this doesn't mean I don't think she SHOULD get it, merely that she wasn't on the floor in convulsions.

BTW, my sister's 14.

norinew, I remember the thread you started. I don't know if she'll get professional help. I don't know how likely it is in my family that my parents'd go for it. They like hiding their head in the sand. I'm considering going behind their backs. I think the situation is bullshit, and that she should have an appointment to see a psychiatrist and a doctor's appointment to determine the extent of the damage to her liver, if any.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm so sorry, Angel of the Lord. My younger sister went through some bad stuff at that age too. It's an extremely difficult time in life. She probably feels very alone. Just let her know you're there for her and you care about her. I hope she feels better soon.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure you understand the gravity of the situation. Acetaminophen overdoses can be FATAL -- as in DEATH. But it does not happen right away -- I've heard it can take up to two weeks. This site indicates that a poisoning victim, if left untreated, could die within 96 hours, so she might have gotten lucky. But only a doctor can tell for sure! If no one can take her to the hospital, call an ambulance.
"No, it isn't!"
Old 04-15-2003, 02:03 AM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
It's not an issue of whether someone can. They WON'T. And I'm not AT home, I'm at college, and I'm scared out of my mind, and my parents will. Not. Believe. Me. They think I'm overreacting, and I don't know what I can do aside from hauling my ass home, taking my sister out of the house against her will and against my parents' will--and this isn't exactly FEASIBLE!

Jesus fucking Christ, ricksummon, I know you're not trying to be a prick, I know you're just trying to tell me things that are very important....but I *know* these things! I've sent my mom links to webpages, she isn't LISTENING, and I am sitting here, going out of my mind with worry, and I can't do jack shit. I know the risks. I know the gravity of the situation--I've been there when a friend tried to OD on mostly Tylenol. I'm not a moron, and I know how to use Google. And my hands are fucking tied, and I don't know what to do. I have SAID that I think she should go to the doctor. I have SAID that I've done what I can. Please give me the benefit of the doubt here, OK?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 AM
I'm sorry if I offended you. Believe me, I have no desire to make this situation harder for you than it already is; I simply felt that the previous warnings posted were not strong enough. I did not know that you were not living at home, but now I realize you have no further power over the situation. Please believe me when I say I never intended to cast aspersions on anyone. I will certainly keep you and your family in my prayers.
"No, it isn't!"
Old 04-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
I know you weren't trying to be mean. I just freaked out, is all. I love my little sister to death, and the thought of anything happening to her makes me sick, and makes me lose all rational thought. I'm sorry for yelling at you...
Old 04-15-2003, 01:08 PM
E-mail this to your mom, Angel...

Sorry I can't pat you on the hand and say, "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll be fine", cause there are some damn ugly numbers here, Angel.

http://hepcvets.com/drugs/tylenol.html
Quote:
a single dose of 7 to 10 grams of acetaminophen (14 to 20 extra-strength tablets) can cause liver injury in the average healthy adult. Note that this amount is about twice the recommended maximum dose for a 24 hour period. In children, a single dose of 140 mg/kg (body weight) of acetaminophen can result in liver injury. Amounts of acetaminophen, however, as low as 3 to 4 grams in a single dose or 4 to 6 grams over 24 hours have been reported to cause severe liver injury in some people, sometimes even resulting in death.

< snip >

What happens to a person with acetaminophen-induced liver damage?

Three clinical stages (phases) of acetaminophen-induced liver injury have been described. During the first phase, that is, the initial 12 to 24 hours or so after ingestion, the patient experiences nausea and vomiting. For the next perhaps 12 to 24 hours, which is the second phase or the so-called inactive (latent) phase, the patient feels well. In the third phase, which begins about 48 to as late as 72 hours after the ingestion of acetaminophen, liver blood test abnormalities begin to appear. Most notably, extremely high (abnormal) levels of the liver blood tests, AST and ALT, are common with this type of liver injury. The outcome (prognosis) of the liver injury can be predicted fairly accurately on the basis of the patientís clinical exam and blood tests. For example, at one extreme, if the patient develops severe acid buildup in the blood, kidney failure, bleeding disorders, or coma, then death is almost certain. Only a liver transplant can possibly save such a patient.

What should be done if acetaminophen toxicity is suspected?

A physician should evaluate the individual immediately. Remember that bringing the bottles of acetaminophen and all of the personís other medications to the emergency room is always useful. The risk that an acetaminophen overdose will cause liver injury correlates with the blood level of acetaminophen relative to the time the drug was taken. Physicians, therefore, are able to estimate the patientís probability of developing liver injury after an overdose. To make this determination, they obtain the patientís history of acetaminophen ingestion and measure the blood level of the drug. With this information, the doctor then can refer to a table (nomogram) that provides an estimate of the risk of developing liver injury. The accuracy of this estimate, however, depends on the reliability of the time of ingestion and whether the acetaminophen was taken over a period of time or all at once.

With suspected acetaminophen overdose, the doctors usually will pump (gavage) the patientís stomach to remove pill fragments. In reality, many individuals who overdose with acetaminophen in a suicide attempt will have taken other pills in addition. Some doctors, therefore, will consider treating the patient with activated charcoal, which binds (and thereby inactivates) many medications. However, this treatment is controversial because of a concern that the activated charcoal may also bind the antidote for acetaminophen overdose.

Patients who are thought to be at a high-risk or even only at a possible risk of developing acetaminophen liver injury should be given the antidote, N-acetyl cystiene (Mucomyst) orally (or intravenously in Europe). This drug works by indirectly replenishing glutathione. The glutathione, as you recall, detoxifies the toxic metabolite of the acetaminophen. The N-acetyl cystiene is most effective when administered within 12 to 16 hours after the acetaminophen was taken. Most physicians however, will administer N-acetyl cystiene even if the patient is first seen beyond this 16 hour period. Thus, a British study showed that patients already with liver failure who then received the N-acetyl cystiene were more likely to survive than patients who did not receive the antidote. Moreover, the survival occurred in these patients regardless of the time of initial administration of N-acetyl cystiene. Finally, people who recover from acetaminophen-induced liver damage are left, fortunately, with no residual or ongoing (chronic) liver disease.
Look, tell your mom that there is a 47-year-old mother here at the SDMB, who has three kids age 12, 16, and 18, who is most definitely NOT overreacting.

Tell her I said:
Quote:
"Angel's Mom, your kid needs to go to the hospital emergency room and you need to tell them that she's suffering from a Nyquil overdose. Otherwise, your daughter may die. And it will be YOUR fault, for refusing to believe that acetominophen toxicity can be deadly.

Is it that you're ashamed to have anyone know that your daughter attempted suicide? Trust me, nobody in the ER gives a rat's ass about suicide attempts. They won't be the slightest bit judgemental, and if that's the reason you're holding off on getting her to a hospital, if it's your damned pride that's keeping you back, then a month from now, Angel's Mom, you may be sitting in a funeral home with your daughter's body in the coffin. And I wouldn't wish that on any mother on the face of the planet."
Tell her that. Just like that.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Oh, and BTW, on the subject of the ER's reaction, from the same link:
Quote:
In the U.S., suicide attempts account for over two thirds of acetaminophen-related liver injury...
They've seen it before. She's not the first person who thought of drinking a bottle of Nyquil to kill herself.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:40 PM
I'd be a total wreck if my brother pulled this same stuff. Don't feel bad about that -- feel GOOD about it.

But please convince your mother that your sister needs medical attention. Please.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Charter Member
AoTL:

I know you take this seriously. You are to be commended for being a sensitive brother (I assume?). I can only speak from my own experience, and so with that caveat.....

Comparing your sister's situation and actions with my own at a similar age, she is in much danger. Not just from the Nyquil. She is calling out for help. The details don't much matter in my opinion. She must have sympathetic, adult help now. I, too, was suicidal as a teen. I, too, was blown off by my family. (Hell, I was told that I was selfish for wanting to die!) I realize that many people cannot accept serious depression and suicide attempts because of ignorance and fear. This is not a character defect. She is acting out, IMO, because she does want damage to come to herself. Trying to run away may be her attempt to put herself in a very dangerous situation, and then the "choice" will be out of her hands.

I don't mean to freak you out further. I can clearly see that you are. Tell someone, please. Tell another adult. Make the call to her school. Call her friend's parents. Ring the alarm bell. Take her seriously. Call her. Tell her you love her, that you're freaked out. Tell her you want to talk to her and that what you discuss will be held in confidence, but that you love her enough to know she is serious and that you, as someone who loves her, have to take action because you cannot bear to think of her being dead.

There is very real relief to be had for her suffering. Someone to talk to - namely, therapy - and medication will make a tremendous difference. Once she is stabalized she can, with the help of a good therapist skilled in adolescent depression, begin to get well and deal with the family issues. It works. It really works. She does not have to continue to suffer.

I wish I had had someone to take me seriously when I was 16. You obviously do. Call a suicide hotline and tell them your story and find out what actions you can take under the circumstances. I honestly think she should be hospitalized. Not as a punishment, but because she is in crisis, and a crisis center sounds like what she needs. She is not bad/wrong/burdensome/worthy of castigation. She is a real, suffering young woman who needs to be taken seriously and told that she matters. Your words and actions can go a very long way in that regard.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Angel, can your sister tell your parents she needs help? What about the school counselor?

I know it's difficult doing stuff long distance, and you are not the legal guardian, but can you call the school, express your concern, and get the counselor to call your parents? It seems like your parents are deep in denial (This can't be happening to me) and they're hoping the situation was a fluke and everything is peachy keen now.

Believe me, that's a very dangerous situation for your parents. Can you go home for the weekend and have a family pow-wow about this?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel of the Lord
It's not an issue of whether someone can. They WON'T. And I'm not AT home, I'm at college, and I'm scared out of my mind, and my parents will. Not. Believe. Me. They think I'm overreacting, and I don't know what I can do aside from hauling my ass home, taking my sister out of the house against her will and against my parents' will--and this isn't exactly FEASIBLE!

Jesus fucking Christ, ricksummon, I know you're not trying to be a prick, I know you're just trying to tell me things that are very important....but I *know* these things! I've sent my mom links to webpages, she isn't LISTENING, and I am sitting here, going out of my mind with worry, and I can't do jack shit. I know the risks. I know the gravity of the situation--I've been there when a friend tried to OD on mostly Tylenol. I'm not a moron, and I know how to use Google. And my hands are fucking tied, and I don't know what to do. I have SAID that I think she should go to the doctor. I have SAID that I've done what I can. Please give me the benefit of the doubt here, OK?
If your parents aren't looking out for your sister's well-being CALL THE COPS.

Child Protective Services exists for a reason.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
AoTL:

Please know that I do not mean to load on to you. Upon review, my post may seem like I do not take YOU seriously. I do.

It may be that you are afraid to go directly against your parents on this (VERY assumptive on my part. If I am totally wrong, I sincerely apologize). You may be the only one in right mind right now to do the right thing. (Again, very assumptive.) Have you considered calling the police? (Not on your parents, but to tell them about the suicide attempt.) Yes, that may result in your sister being locked up against her will. It is drastic, and she may not understand, and she may be enraged with you. And it's okay. You can deal with her anger. And, I believe, you can deal with your parents', as well.

Believe that you can do something. You can. You can do this. You can get through this. And your sister can, too. I mean everything I say with the utmost compassion and understanding for what you are going through.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
I am going home this weekend. It's Easter.

My sister is already seeing a counselor at school--she went yesterday. The counselor is currently giving her tests and had a meeting with my dad this morning--which, incidentally, I don't know the results of.

My mom called our PCP this morning and explained the NyQuil situation. They are going in tonight for blood work and other stuff, although, since this apparently happened over two weeks ago (the numbers keep on changing, yeah, I know--it's not like I'm getting first hand accounts, here. My mom said that my sister said that it was two weeks ago--before, I was assuming about a week), and is symptom-free, there probably isn't any *immediate* threat. The PCP will also refer her to a "real" psychiatrist, who is going to commence evaluations. Based on my (extremely limited) knowledge of psychology, psychopathology, etc., I'm guessing that she will probably be put on anti-depressants. Based on what my parents have told me, I think she needs them.

I'm not saying that my parents are being inept--just that they aren't rushing her to the emergency room, which is kinda what I want them to do. They *fully* understand what is going on in terms of the psychological; they

I, personally, will be spending a lot of time with her this weekend. She won't talk to me over the phone, though. She doesn't *like* talking on the phone (which is characteristic of our family).

My parent's *are* looking out for my sister's well being--they're doing better than I thought they would, especially my dad. They're just not acting in the way I--and a lot of y'all--think they should.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Charter Member
AoTL:

Thank God. It's very reassuring that your 'rents are getting her in to see the PCP and are taking her to a psychiatrist.

I would assume most definitely that she will be put on anti-depressants. They may take awhile to kick in. She may have to fiddle with doses and different meds if there is no improvement. It can take a lot of patience.

Bless you for being such a compassionate person.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 PM
If your sister doesn't seem to have any symptoms of an overdose, perhaps it's possible that she hasn't taken any and just said she had to freak your parents out, or as a way of letting them know what she is capable of in her current mental state.

Obviously the worst case scenario, that she actually took the stuff, must be assumed, but hopefully she's not being entirely truthfull or is exagerating about the quantity taken.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Jeezopete, my first reaction also was NYQUIL CAN KILL YOU!

It looks like the parents have decided to take some action.

AotL, best wishes to you and your sister, and to all your family. I hope your sister will be ok...
Old 04-15-2003, 10:05 PM
I agree with CRorex: Call the police if your mom isn't responsive. Tell them that your sister has attempted suicide, that your mother has not sought medical treatment for her life-threatening condition, and make it very clear to them that if your sister is left to her own devices, she will kill herself.

Hopefully, just the sight of the police checking up on your sister will be enough to snap your mom out of her denial. If it isn't, the police will already have her number.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 AM
i have thought about suicide on a daily basis for a few years now. i've talked to many people who were also suicidal. i believe i have gained some insight into the mind of such a person. there are few definites, but i do think there is one thing that is universally necessary for happiness in life..

EMPATHY

the more you understand her the more you can help. don't allow your feelings to influence your ability to keep an open mind.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:46 AM
i have thought about suicide on a daily basis for a few years now. i've talked to many people who were also suicidal. i believe i have gained some insight into the mind of such a person. there are few definites, but i do think there is one thing that is universally necessary for happiness in life..

EMPATHY

the more you understand her the more you can help. don't allow your feelings to influence your ability to keep an open mind.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm praying and sending hugs, {{{{Angel}}}.

Everyone else's advice is better than anything I could say.