Old 01-24-2000, 01:38 PM
Quote:
British defense minister John Spellar scored a parliamentary first on Monday by accidentally slipping the most offensive four-letter word into a heated debate.

Under fire over spending cutbacks on defense, Spellar steadied himself for a return volley, accusing the previous Conservative government of slashing defense budgets to the bone.

``Those cuts...have gone too far,'' he meant to say. But an errant ``n'' slipped into ``cuts'', making it sound more like the verbal abuse that precedes a gang fight.

MPs didn't know whether to gasp or guffaw, but in the press gallery overlooking the House of Commons, hard-bitten journalists wept with laughter. Behind his ample ginger beard, it was impossible to see whether Spellar was blushing.
Err, I always thought the f-word was the most offensive four letter word. I will open the floor to take your opinions on this weighty and important matter
::Bangs gavel::
The floor is now open for debate.

Keith

------------------
You want brilliance BEFORE I've had my coffee!!!
Old 01-24-2000, 01:42 PM
in my book it has gotta be WORK. Everytime I hear it I say to myself.. damn I wish they had never invented that word!

------------------
I really try to be good but it just isn't in my nature!
Old 01-24-2000, 01:46 PM
I have to say the word that offends me the most is c*nt. I usually save it for the most offensive situations or people.
Old 01-24-2000, 01:48 PM
Ok...it's the all time four letter work we all know and cherish fu*k is one work that I absolutely cannot stand

------------------
"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda
Old 01-24-2000, 01:50 PM
fart. don't know just why i dislike it so, but i do. feel uncomfortable even just writing it. i can swear in a couple of languages, but that is one word i never, ever use. ugh.
Old 01-24-2000, 01:51 PM
Four letter works? Looks like your middle fingers are cross-wired, Fuzzy-wuzzy.

------------------
Judges 14:9 - So [Samson] scraped the honey into his hands and went on, eating as he went. When he came to his father and mother, he gave some to them and they ate it; but he did not tell them that he had scraped the honey out of the body of the lion.
Old 01-24-2000, 01:57 PM
BANNED
I worked in a restaurant. My female boss could cuss like a sailor withlittle provovation.

One day, she is on the cook's line while I head back there to get something for a table of evil women who were giving me a hard time.

I said something to the effect of, "I cannot believe these cunts Im waiting on."

She went OFF on me! I learned then the power of the word cunt. Must use wisely...

------------------
Yer pal,
Satan
Old 01-24-2000, 02:01 PM
c*nt has my vote. If I have to use this word to refer to someone, they really, really p*ssed me off! Of course it's usually strung nicely along with a few others, but it's the piece de resistance.

------------------
Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you.
-William Blake
Old 01-24-2000, 02:11 PM
My sister is visiting, and she is trying to educate me in the damaging power of words. I am trying to teach her that words are words, and it's the ideas and emotions behind them that hurt. Neither of is having any luck.

But, as far as she is concerned, the C word is the worst of the ones mentioned, but B*tch and N*gger are far worse because they demean a certain class of people by blah blah blah blah...

------------------
http://madpoet.com
Computers have let mankind make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
Old 01-24-2000, 03:05 PM
I don't mind f*ck. I never use c*nt myself and get repulsed by people who do use it. I like bitch. My husband calls me and our female dog "my bitches". I love it.

Don't even get me started on the "N-word". Blazing Saddles was on A&E this weekend and they didn't beep that word or dub over it. But they did exclude the entire farting around the campfire scene. I don't get it.
Old 01-24-2000, 03:14 PM
OK four letter offensive word for nigger....coon. Also offensive is gook.

I think this is first time I've used those words!! <shudder>
Old 01-24-2000, 03:22 PM
The most repulsive four letter word ever used is POOP! I would MUCH rather hear someone say shit, crap, dung, feces, etc.. than hear poop! It just sounds so nasty! Yech!

---------------------------------------------
-poop
Old 01-24-2000, 03:24 PM
I agree with Angkins. If the defense minister used one of those words somehow instead of the "c" word he wouldn't have been laughed at, he would have been kicked out and looked down upon for the rest of his life.

------------------
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
-H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"
Old 01-24-2000, 03:42 PM
Now don't tear my head off, because honestly, I'm just curious. Not trying to be a smartass. Why is cunt so offensive? I thought it was worse in England than here.

------------------
View every exit as an entrance someplace else
Old 01-24-2000, 04:02 PM
Actually, I think it's worse in America. In England, it's definitely offensive, but it doesn't arouse quite the horror that it does here. Also, whereas here (as Psycat put it) it's usually reserved for people who've REALLY pissed you off - and especially for women who've really pissed you off - you'll hear men in England use it to casually refer to other men - sometimes even with no (real) offense intended.

What I've always wondered about is why we bother with the * thing. I mean if you see the word "sh*t" you think "shit" don't you? Is it really less offensive because it's missing a vowel?
Old 01-24-2000, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canthearya:
Don't even get me started on the "N-word". Blazing Saddles was on A&E this weekend and they didn't beep that word or dub over it. But they did exclude the entire farting around the campfire scene. I don't get it.
It may seem inconsistent but one rationale is that Mel Brooks was mocking racism by the way he portrayed it in the movie. He has a long tradition of that in his movies. The campfire scene was just gratuitous use of bodily functions.
Old 01-24-2000, 04:12 PM
Cunt is saved for the most low vile worthless females on the planet. If I cal you a cunt, I dont even care enough about you to hate you.

The most offensive word is not cunt however.

It is s-n-o-w.
<shudder>
Old 01-24-2000, 04:14 PM
aaaaaaaggggggggg I can't believe I did that!!!!!! Thanks AWB for bringing that to my attention, it was supposed to be word.

------------------
"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda
Old 01-24-2000, 05:34 PM
Charter Member
Most offensive word? I dunno. Words alone aren't so bad. It's when you put them together that they start to get iffy.

Some years back, alt.tasteless decided to come up with a motto that would offend EVERYONE. And they did it. If anyone else knows it, feel free to post it; I'll hold off unless y'all really want to hear it.
Old 01-24-2000, 05:59 PM
I guy I used to know used the word "gunt" to describe those really low, flabby pot bellies that some women have.

I can say that that's the grossest sounding word that I've heard. Yeccchh.
Old 01-24-2000, 07:18 PM
I don't find the word fuck nearly as offensive as cunt (gawd, I hate even typing it). There is one and only one way "the c word" can be used, and that's as a vile and disgusting word intended to hurt or disparage someone.

Fuck, OTOH, has so many colorful uses, not all of which are mean. Click here to hear a few examples. (**Warning: Not edited for language. Listen at your own risk. Depends undergarments not required, but recommended.**)

------------------
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
Old 01-24-2000, 07:27 PM
Well fuck! That link didn't seem to work. Ok, let's try it this way...

<EMBED SRC="http://geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/8835/miscellaneous/fword.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=72 HEIGHT=55 ALIGN="CENTER">

------------------
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
Old 01-24-2000, 07:52 PM
The "c" word is the most offensive to me. I can't even type it. "Fuck" has become so commonplace, it doesn't faze me anymore, plus I don't associate it with an insult to women or to me personally. I use it myself when I get very angry. But the c word -- it is always said with such anger and reduces a woman to one thing.
Old 01-25-2000, 11:04 AM
BANNED
Shayna, what on earth are you doing??? Now my broswer was loading a plugin. If you used an audio thing, I sure hope you closed captioned it! :-)

'fuck' isn't offensive to me. To fuck is very pleasureable. I used to think 'deaf' was quite offensive, being a post lingual late deafened adult, but I guess I can't escape being it.

I like the word 'beep,' though, kinda has a nice offesivity to it without knowing what it really is representing.
Old 01-25-2000, 10:19 PM
I once knew a crusty old middle-aged guy from Chicago whose favorite form of verbal punctuation was the phrase, "fuck you!". "Hey, good morning, Frank." "Hey, fuck you, good morning my ass, can't you see I gotta hangover?" Or something like that.

I knew it wasn't personal, but there were several occasions when I had to stifle my natural urge to go over and pop him one after having a "fuck you!" directed at me. Where I grew up, you don't say fuck you unless you mean it, and if you mean it, well, you're most likely fucked. Don't mess with a state that issues licenses for concealed firearms.

DHR

------------------
Exits, pursued by a bear
Old 01-26-2000, 03:44 PM
Charter Member
Shayna:
That was GREAT!
Laughing my fucking ass off!

Jack
Old 01-26-2000, 03:51 PM
I'd have to say cunt......... without a shadow of a doubt. Cunt is just a harsh word. I also hate ANY 4 letter racial slur... there's absolutely no tolerance in my life for the people that use those words.

------------------
ants spend 20% of their day working...
The Neo-Comintern
Old 01-26-2000, 03:55 PM
Yep, going to go with "c*nt" - definitely the one I find the most offensive.

Racial slurs bring up a close second, followed by people calling other people "stupid" or "ugly".

------------------
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."
Old 01-26-2000, 08:29 PM
There's something about the word "fart." I don't know what it is. Not offensive, really. When the topic comes up, it's hysterically funny. Other people talking about gaseousness cracks me up (Guy Stuff). I just can't say the word.

I think it's because I don't, well, you know. I don't. My cat, on the other hand...

------------------
"The quickest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage." --anonymous redhead
Old 01-26-2000, 09:55 PM
Hehehehe... My vote goes to BUSH

The George W. variety that is!
Old 01-26-2000, 10:10 PM
The word "Cunt" doesn't bother me. Sometimes, I use it to provoke other women because with few exceptions that's the word to go with if you really want to see them lose their grip.
Old 01-26-2000, 10:39 PM
I didn't see any votes out here for slit or twat.

------------------
Krispy Original -- The original SDMB bad boy