Old 05-09-2003, 09:02 AM
What's the significance of bluebird tattoos?

IIRC, Mark McGrath has two bluebirds tattooed on his back.

So does the host of VH1 All Access, Rachel Perry. I saw her tattoos in a photo in Maxim magazine. They're on her lower abdomen, one on each side.

Anyone know the significance of these tattoos?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:03 AM
BANNED
I think they mean you got loaded one night and went to a tatoo parlour. LOL.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:09 AM
How weird is this???

I've heard that the bluebird is a symbol of happiness.

So I googled "Bluebird of Happiness" and strike me down if the first hit isn't from Teemings, in a poem by our very own Arden Ranger.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:10 AM
BANNED
Gettin' loaded - sounds pretty happy to me... :@)
Old 05-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Well, its orignally from the WWII era flash, I think.

I've seen references to the 'bluebird of happiness', so it might have something to do with that.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarantula
Gettin' loaded - sounds pretty happy to me... :@)
Well you clearly live up to the stereotype of Dublin residents.

As do I.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I Googled too... The closest thing I found was a theory about bluebirds=jailbirds.

??
Old 05-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Here's my search results. (Link will obviously degrade after today).
Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Mebbe they like bluebirds? I dunno, a buddy of mine has the bluebirds, of course, he also has a tattoo of Elvis making out with a chick on couch across his chest. I don't think he really has a reason for either. Oh wait...see above "got drunk" reference.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks jjimm, I think. I'm not convinced that they have anything to do with the "Bluebird of Happiness."
Old 05-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gazelle
Thanks jjimm, I think. I'm not convinced that they have anything to do with the "Bluebird of Happiness."
Sure, 'twas only a guess.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Some sources say the bluebird tattoo meant that a sailor had accumulated more than 5000 miles at sea; you got a second when you doubled that. A chicken on one foot and a pig on the other was a traditional charm against drowning. In WWII, they added an updated version...propellers on the butt cheeks!

Modern day, it's just a nod to traditional flash art, as opposed to some of the modern styles. Gotta keep in touch with your roots.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Maybe I should describe them better. Both Mark McGrath and Rachel Perry have the exact same tattoos.

Two bluebirds, one on either side of the body's midline. They look like they're diving down...?

Now that I think about it, I think I remember seeing the same tattoos on the lead singer of Crazytown... Shifty?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeah. Nowadays, it's just a common tattoo of American traditional style, like a heart that says "mom," or a battleship on your chest, or a hula girl, etc.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gazelle
Maybe I should describe them better. Both Mark McGrath and Rachel Perry have the exact same tattoos.

Two bluebirds, one on either side of the body's midline. They look like they're diving down...?
Yeah, they're exactly the same because they're flash, or designs from a book of art you can pick right off the wall, kind of a la carte.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Hmmm. Okay. Thanks y'alluns.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:18 AM
BANNED
...Hijack...

Hey jjimm - if we don't keep the Guinness flowing the Irish economy could slump. I'm doing MY bit for the Euro. Gald to see you're helping too
Old 05-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Charter Jays Fan
Is there anything Mark McGrath DOESN'T have a tattoo of? He looks like a 13-year-old-girl's doodled school binder.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarantula
if we don't keep the Guinness flowing the Irish economy could slump.
Accordingto this page, http://doctors-at-work.com/news_...s_storyID=1232, the Irish Government's recently released "interim report of the Strategic Task Force on Alcohol" says that
Quote:
Alcohol-related illness cost the State [of Ireland] an estimated 2.4 billion per year or 1.7 per cent of GDP in 1999, according to the report. These costs include healthcare, road accidents, alcohol related crime and lost productivity.
It sounds to me like it's the flow of Guinness that's causing the Irish economy to slump.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:27 AM
It's not a bluebird...it's a swallow (try searching for that). Just a traditional tattoo like the battle ship, eagle, or mom.

It's regained popularity because of the retro thing going on....just about every Rockabilly has the same tattoo. I actually like it and would consider it myself.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chukhung
Accordingto this page, http://doctors-at-work.com/news_...s_storyID=1232, the Irish Government's recently released "interim report of the Strategic Task Force on Alcohol" says thatIt sounds to me like it's the flow of Guinness that's causing the Irish economy to slump.
Ah, but are there figures on alcohol-related revenue? You might find they even themselves out...

Sorry for continuing the hijack.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jjimm
Ah, but are there figures on alcohol-related revenue?[/size]
This page, http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer...t/ipage_28.htm, which was written in November 2000 says
Quote:
pub and off licence sales now gross £2.2 billion per year.
Please note that in my previous cite it's not clear whether the 2.4 billion per year in cost to the state was in Euros or Punts. The original page just has a right-angle dingbat where the currency symbol should be and since the report was written recently but the figures are from 1999, I can't really tell what was intended.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks metroshane, now that I think about it, they do look just like swallows.

You rock.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Now, if you want to know why so many tattoos are traditional.....back during WWII (the hieght of tattoo popularity with the military) there were fluxes of men coming ashore to get tattoos...and not really that many ink choices.....so few common tattoos they could do quickly were prefered.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Zippidie do dah
Zippidie-ya
My, oh my, what a wonderful day.
Got a bluebird on my shoulder
…..

And two of ‘em on your belly is even better!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:50 PM
"Bluebird of Happiness" is the eastern bluebird. belongs to the robin family, but looks like a swallow, esp. tail.
Early American settlers liked them for their socialability, thought that whenever they were around things would be good. Symbol of marriage, good health.
The tatoos have been a standard fare of sailors since southerners starting joining the U.S. Navy after the civil war.
Most sailor tats of bluebirds have a name inscribed under them, usually the children of the sailor.