Old 05-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Brewsters Millions. How would YOU have spent it?

Staying within the rules that the movie sets forth how would you have spent the 30 million? Or would you have taken the 1 million and ran?

I am going to raise the money up to 50 million just to account for inflation and the higher cost of services now adays.

So you've got 30 days to spend 50 million. If you spend every penny you will get 300 million on day 31. If you have a penny left you will not get anything.

The rules are (if I remember correctly):

You can't tell anyone why you are spending the money
You can only give away 5% to charity and 5% to gambling.
You cannot have ANY assets at the end of the 30 days.
You can't buy big expensive things for other people (though the movie was kind of slacking on this rule. Didn't JC buy a solid gold catchers mit necklace?
You cannot destroy anything that is inherently valuable (ie buy a picasso and shit on it)

I am adding one rule of my own. You cannot "rent" things/people that are not normally rentable. For example you can't pay the Bulls and the Lakers to play a private basketball game for you.

So, how would you spend it? Could you?

On a side note, did Brewster actually stay within the rules in the movie?
Old 05-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Oh, one more thing. You can't name prices and pay more for something just to get rid of the money. Like he did in the hotel. The rooms were 100K a week and he told the manager he would pay 1 mil a week.

None of that silliness

Only true price/values.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:21 PM
I've thought of this before, and I think I could do it: You simply pay for experiences rather than goods.

There are lots of experiences that cost truly obscene amounts of money. One that comes to my mind is taking flying lessons in old expensive warbird aircraft. For example, I think I could find a way to quickly lose lots of money at this place:

Jet Warbird Training Center

Or maybe here:

Space Adventures

And then of course, there's always hookers!
Old 05-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Gassendi

And then of course, there's always hookers!
Nuh-uh. They count as ASSets.

[ducks and runs]
Old 05-17-2003, 01:25 PM
One trick that doesn't seem to violate any of the rules is to buy 30 million dollars of financial options which expire before the month is over. They wouldn't count as assets since they are worthless once they have expired.

Another possibility is to buy objects and sell them at less than you paid for. This is also not allowed presumably.

"You cannot "rent" things/people that are not normally rentable"
What about renting entire hotels for a month? Tbat would count as "normally rentable".

I think you need tigher rules to make the game interesting.

"There are lots of experiences that cost truly obscene amounts of money."
To get through a million dollars a day they would have to cost more 50,000 per hour. Your flying lessons are less than 2000 per hour
Old 05-17-2003, 01:48 PM
How about spending it on a trip to space?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:52 PM
How about renting ALL of DisneyWorld till the money runs out. I don't think 50 mill would last very long, do you guys?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:22 PM
I would simply by bunch of permits and 49.999 whatever million dollars worth of Fireworks and celebrate 'Wolfman is the man' day all over the country.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:54 PM
I would sue Gov. Grey Davis and LA Maypr James Hahn. The legal fees would eat those millions in no time.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
I don't think that the financial options would be allowed, since that would fall either under the category of deliberately spoiling something of value, or else would be considered gambling and exceed the 5% limit.

I'm unsure just what counts as assets. You aren't even allowed a souvenier coffee mug? If I pay 50 million to reserve viewing time on the Hubble telescope for a week, does the data it returns count as assets?
Old 05-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Controvert
How about spending it on a trip to space?
I refer you to my previous post in this thread. Click the link and then prepare to ante up LOTS of money.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:03 PM
I wonder how many congressmen 50 million would buy. Perhaps enough for a special 'personal' tax break for fat white guys from Oregon getting exactly 300 million dollars. Some businesses do list 'goodwill' as an asset, but technically we have to pretend that all the money going into DC has no effect on how they vote.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I totally remember seeing this movie when I was a kid. Ooh, the years I spent just dreaming of how I would spend the money. I wonder how much it would cost to throw a huge spa party for my friends, complete with diamond scrub facials and a pool filled with Creme de la Mer.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy
I'm unsure just what counts as assets. You aren't even allowed a souvenier coffee mug? If I pay 50 million to reserve viewing time on the Hubble telescope for a week, does the data it returns count as assets?
I don't know. I am just going off what the movie says. I do know that the only thing he was allowed to have at the end of the thirty days was the clothes he was wearing when he walked into the lawerys office, so I am guessing that the mug would cause him to lose the $300 million.

Im pretty sure that if you really follow the rules set forth in the movie that you will find that he did indeed have stuff that he bought that would have made him lose the deal but that was just a movie.

This is the SDMB where EVERYTHING IS REAL!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Can you do like Monty Burns and pay some random guy to amuse you?
Old 05-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Re: Brewsters Millions. How would YOU have spent it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpalm
You can't buy big expensive things for other people (though the movie was kind of slacking on this rule. Didn't JC buy a solid gold catchers mit necklace?
No, Monty hired JC as his personal assistant for $100K a week, remember? He just bought that necklace with his own money.

If dabbling in financial markets is removed as an option, then this gets truly difficult. Otherwise, you could probably lose that $50 mil in one day, without even trying hard.

Personally, I'd hire personal trainers, eat out at every meal in the most expensive restaurants in town, rent yachts with open bars and very expensive hookers for everyone at least three times a week, etc. And pay all the personal expenses of tons of people, who would constitute my entourage.
The stipulation says I can't destroy that which is inherently valuable. BUT, if I don't own what I'm destroying, it doesn't count as an asset. So I'd rent an entire hotel floor, and probably trash most of it several times a week. (Paying the damage bills wth a smile.) I'd rent stretch limos by the mile, send them to pick up my relatives in other states, then total the cars.

Or else I'd just take the $50 million and leave for Europe, never to be seen again. I mean, why take a chance I might fail at getting the bigger sum, when I already have control of $50 million?
Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Re: Re: Brewsters Millions. How would YOU have spent it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard
No, Monty hired JC as his personal assistant for $100K a week, remember? He just bought that necklace with his own money.
Really? I thought he hired that photographer guy to be his personal assistant. Been a long time since I saw it though.

Heres one. If he hired JC as his assistant for 100K a week, why not hire him for $1 million a day? Then he would be making his buddy JC filthy stinking ass rich, and after he rode out the month he would been even filthier, and stinkier, ass rich with $300 million.

I think that would break the rule that I, Stinkpalm, made up about not renting things that aren't normally rentable and would be similar to the Lakers vs Bulls private game that I mentioned. In the movie though I guess it would have been legal.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
http://vladi-private-islands.de/..._whalecay.html rents for $55,00 per week. There are some that might be more, but the price isn't published.

Back to the renteing a plane idea, I read an article about a guy who got his 7(2?)7 rating. Think the plane rented for $55/minute.

While it is still available, how about buying every seat on the concorde? Isn't it like $2000/seat and 100 seats-that is $20,000 right there.

Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Actually, 100 seats would be $200,000.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Re: Re: Re: Brewsters Millions. How would YOU have spent it?

Quote:
Really? I thought he hired that photographer guy to be his personal assistant. Been a long time since I saw it though.

Heres one. If he hired JC as his assistant for 100K a week, why not hire him for $1 million a day? Then he would be making his buddy JC filthy stinking ass rich, and after he rode out the month he would been even filthier, and stinkier, ass rich with $300 million.
No, he hired the photographer to be his Official Photographer. And I don't think the $1 million a day idea would work. One of the stipulations for Monty when he took the challenge was that he "must get value for their services" from people he hired. So, he couldn't hire people to just, say, sit at home. $100K a week for a personal assistant in Manhattan might be just barely conceivable. $1 million a day definitely isn't.

I loved this movie when i was a kid, and must have seen it 10 times. That explains how I remember all this.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Thirty. Million. Dollars. Of ice cream.

Oooh, yaaaah.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:18 PM
How about a HUGE dopefest with an open bar, 1st class tickets for all the doper friends, rented limos to works!
Better yet a three week dopefest changing locations every week, from Amsterdam, smoking drinking and whoring.. Dinsney land for a week and who knows where the third.
I suspect that would eat up a great deal of money.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Oh, one more thing. You can't name prices and pay more for something just to get rid of the money. Like he did in the hotel. The rooms were 100K a week and he told the manager he would pay 1 mil a week.

None of that silliness

Only true price/values.
True. But wasn't there a lack of availablity? Didn't he have to up the ante to get the hotel to clear out the floor and provide for his large group?

If you factor extra security and services, plus the inevitable LEGAL fees the hotel must pay when people sue them for kicking them out, I think it MAY be above board.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:42 PM
50 million bucks inside a month

Buy an F-16 or an F-18, or mig equivalents

Barnstorm a couple of towns, fly under some bridges and then point the thing at the ground and punch out.

Easily spent

Declan
Old 05-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
I thought about renting an Avid editing bay, but thats "only" about $1250/day. But I'm thinking a movie can go through $50m in a month pretty easy, though I'm not sure how much of that is "normaly rentable". And arguable the end result migh

States are under budget crunches, I wonder if you could rent North Dakota for a month....

How about a deep sea submersable? Construction equipment?
The Moscone center, the Superdome, or any over convention center?

Famous people are available to speak at commencment, conventions, etc so does that count as "normally rentable"?

This is FUN

Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 06:19 PM
50 mil worth of TV advertisements. That should go by VERY quickly, especially if a big event like the Super Bowl is coming up soon.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Would 10 open parties count as "charity"?

I'm thinking you could have an open house catered by the best restraunts in town, open bar, with say Aerosmith in Boston, Bruce in Jersey etc. playing as entertainment, a "Brewsters Tour" maybe and tour city to city (overadversting) free drink and grub for first 5000 in each town.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:20 PM
I would start a company, hire only hot militant chicks from schools like Wellesley and then sexually harrass them all until they sued all the money away.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by N9IWP
States are under budget crunches, I wonder if you could rent North Dakota for a month....
Have you been to North Dakota? For $50 mil, you could rent it for a year.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Re: Brewsters Millions. How would YOU have spent it?

Quote:
You can only give away 5% to charity and 5% to gambling.
Isn't the whole thing like gambling? If you don't manage to spend all the money, you don't get the big payoff.

I'd just keep the 50 mil. Is there a stipulation that any money that you don't spend is taken away from you at the end of the month? Hell, I'd just disappear. It shouldn't be hard to create a new identity with $50 million.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:22 PM
That is one of the first rules set forth. If he doesn't spend it all he gets NOTHING but hte shirt on his back. He doesn't get to keep any of the extra cash.

That is why his uncle made a pussy clause. Brewster could have taken $1million dollars instead of going for the big bucks.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Charter Member
Dang, I was going to say Superbowl ads.

Brian
a few hours late and $50m short
Old 05-19-2003, 12:52 AM
If I'm reading the rules right, they say I can't buy things for people; is there anything that says I can't just write out a couple of big fat checks?

If so...five of my closest people will become very, very rich.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm with Cyberpundit or Declan. Get it over with in one step; none of this piecemeal BS (although I admit it'd probably make for a boring movie).

And no, buying financial options with no intent to exercise them does NOT constitute gambling. It's a guaranteed loss, and gambling implies at least a chance that you'll come out ahead. True, this is tantamount to throwing your money away, but that's the whole point, isn't it?

More ideas:
* Invite every 3 Card Monte gang on the planet to the mother of all sucker-fests, starring you. You'll be cleaned out within a week. And no, 3 Card Monte isn't gambling, it's a swindle, so it's not subject to any restrictions.
* Travel to some repressive kleptocracy, openly flout your wealth, and let them rob you blind. (Make sure it's the kind of place that'll just deport you afterward, however.) Maybe, for irony's sake, toss in a comment about how you don't care because there's a lot more where that came from.
* Two words...soft money. Hey, if it's good enough for shortsighted special interests and bloodsucking corporations, it's good enough for you. Put a few mil in the Green Party's coffers and then see if the yammering news drones can still dismiss Ralph Nader as "egotistical" and "not a factor". Pump up the Libertarians and let them know that, why yes, you like having money too. Go local and make some no-name whose policies you happen to agree with mayor...stir up memories of Jesse Ventura! The possibilities are endless. And believe me, with the cost of campaigning these days, $50 mil. will go by like nothing. (Oh, and a political party does not, in ANY possible way, shape, or form, constitue a charity, so nuts to that rule again.)
Old 05-19-2003, 01:32 AM
1. Buy small African nation.
2. Pay opposition to stage bloody coup.
3. Flee for life with the clothes on your back.
4. Burn clothes.
5. Collect $300 million.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Charter Member
As I recall, in the movie, his stroke of genius was to run for political office, under a campaign of "Vote None of the Above". But he had to officially step down from the race when it started looking like he might win, because the high-salary mayor's office was considered an "asset".

Myself, I'd blow it all on scientific research. What's the going rate to rent time on a supercomputer or particle accelerator? And if that's not enough to burn away the cash, then rent several of them. No tangible assets, and something might even come of it in the end.

As a side note, in the movie, he was a fool to waste his charity and gambling money at the beginning of the month. He should have saved the charity, at least, for the very last day, as a pillow. Remember, he's got to go exactly broke: A penny over broke, and he loses, and he started off at rock bottom, so he's got no room to dig. So he's best off if he can write that check to the Red Cross for exactly $1,473,962.43, or whatever exact amount it is he needs to blow.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:53 AM
Well, the provision is that you're not allowed to buy BIG extravagant presents for friends. I would assume that a $50 mil check counts as a 'big extravagant present'.

But most major cities have a good million people in 'em... i know mine does, and then some. Heck, there's 250 million people in the USA alone, probably a lot more by now. That's $0.20 each. Four nickels. Add in the cost of stamps to mail 'em out and the cost of hiring a staff of however many people it would take to do that in a month, and you're WAY, WAY over the $50 mil limit.

More fun? Call up a thousand movie theaters. Tell them each that you will buy the next thousand movie tickets they sell... let the people in free, send me bill, thanks. That's $5-10 million every day. A month to do that 5-10 times? EASY.

Rent out all major amusement parks that you can afford, the same way. Tell 'em you'll buy $50 mil worth of tickets, just start letting people in.

Go to ballparks during games. Buy everybody a beer.

Buy a million gameboys and start handing them out.

The possibilities are endless.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I would run a nationwide commercial that offers up a free bigmac, taco, etc. and pick up the tab. 50 million gone in one day by lunch time. Thank you for the 300 million.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Call ILM and have them green srceen/CGI me into "The Matrix" as Neo, with Aisha Tyler as Trinity.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member
The take it and run money should also have been indexed to inflation. Considering just the time since the OP it would be more like $1.3 million. I'd take it. I wouldn't trust such a silly clause, and when combined with my pre existing assets, it would be more than enough for me to live comfortably for the rest of my life without working.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Quite the zombie thread. Maybe pay for resurrection services on your late dog fluffy?

Anyway, I think the way to go about this would to start buying up expensive wines (the stuff that goes for $20,000 a bottle), to use in a wine swimming pool. I'm sure a lot of vintners would be apoplectic when they found out what I was doing, but the wine would be useless after I skinny dipped in it.

The average olympic swimming pool is 2.5M liters, and most wine bottles are 750 milliliters, so as long as I fill the pool and the wine costs $5 a bottle... well, hell, I don't even need to buy the expensive stuff. The cost for shipping and assistants to pour the wine into the pool will ensure all $50M gets spent.

EDIT: or, you know, a kiddie pool with printer ink :-p

Last edited by yellowjacketcoder; 03-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
I think the "buy everybody a beer" ideas would come under the heading of "charity." That would disqualify the ideas that popped into my head first as well.

The Superbowl ad idea is the one I'd favor now. Or spend $50 million on a series of nation-wide ads on whatever subject you want to expound on. You aren't selling anything, so there would be no assets resulting from the ads.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Buy a $50 million yacht, neglect to get insurance, and go sailing around Somalia.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I'd pay to hitch a ride to the moon.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
The problem with buying a jet and flying it into the ground, or letting Somali pirates capture your yacht is that you still have assets, even if you don't physically possess them. In the first instance, you own a pile of scrap metal (and a ton of fines from the EPA for spilling jet fuel and whatnot all over the place.) In the yacht example, I think the judges would rule that the yacht is still yours even if someone else posesses it. Otherwise, you can just buy $50 million of stuff and leave it on the street for passers-by to "steal" from you.

I think the ad campaign is the way to go. Pick a cause, pay Speilberg $10 million to make a really good commercial, and then buy $20 million of airtime over the month. The final $20 million is to have fun with while the ads are running. Finish off by writing a check to a SuperPAC that was formed on the first day. If, by chance, they rule me ineligible for the $300 million, I just cash out of the SuperPAC like Colbert did and live comfortably.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Produce history's worst Broadway featuring Hitler and lose all the money.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramma23 View Post
I'd pay to hitch a ride to the moon.
You could't do that or pretty much any other of the space things within 30 days.

How about -- commit a horrible crime, confess to it, and then pay (in advance) for a couple thousand of America's finest lawyers to defend you?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
You could buy up a shit ton of student debt.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Hire the world's premiere physicists and labs and give them a goal of producing nuclear fusion from Gummie Bears within 30 days. If they actually do it, even the $300 million you miss out on will be chump change.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
To jump on the zombie...

If it was at the right time - buy all of the advertising slots for the Superbowl so that everyone can watch the entire game without commercial interruption (does that fit the rules?)