Old 07-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Cluster Tips - what are they?

What are "cluster tips" (in regards to my operating system)? Are they needed? Do they take up space?

Also, I once ran across a file on my computer that listed all the internal specs of the computer (HD size, RAM, Processing speed, video card info, sound card info, etc.). Where is that info located? I am using Windows 2000 Pro.

Thanks in advance....

You're a strange blend of arrogance and insecurities. I find that very interesting... -- Happy Son to Shai'tan
Old 07-13-2003, 01:01 AM
I've never heard the term "cluster tip" before. Where did you run across it?

The System Information applet (start, programs, accessories, system tools) can give some of the information you asked for, though the file you found was probably generated by the manufacturer of the computer, not windows.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:39 AM
cluster tips are what is left over from a cluster. your file system may be fat 32. with this system, clusters are made with a certain amount of kilobytes....i'm not sure of the numbers now because i am inebriated, but here is an example.....

your fat32 system does files in 5 kb clusters (or chunks), and you have a file that is 12kb. your fat32 system sees this file as 15 kb.

The remaining 3 kb that is not used in the cluster is what is reffered to as a "cluster tip."

but my info is from experience.......i may just be drunk and babbling.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:41 AM
as an answer to the question "do they take up space?"......yes they do. But not so much that you should be worried about i think. That is all for me, i hope this helps
Old 07-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Ah, I've always heard that referred to as "cluster slack."