Old 07-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Go pound salt

Where did the phrase "go pound salt" originate? I can't find a reference to it on the internet and the phrase book I have doesn't mention it. Will someone please point me in the right direction or should I just "go pound salt"?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:35 PM
BANNED
You're familiar with the fuller form of the phrase?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:37 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've always been told to 'go pound sand', not 'go pound salt'.

Google had 1300 hits for 'go pound sand', but only 436 hits for 'go pound salt'. I would assume that the latter is probably derived from the former.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:53 PM
What is the fuller phrase? If it is another form of "doesn't have enough sense to pound sand in a rathole" then I have my answer. But why would the word sand be replaced with salt? Did/do people pound salt down a rathole?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:58 PM
The complete phrase is 'go pound sand up your ass' or 'go pound sand up you ass with a mallett'.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Ok, so it's a stupid phrase, but where did it come from? Are we talking about two different phrases here or yet another variation?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Graphite is a great
http://wordorigins.org/wordorp.htm#Pound

At least give a cite.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off