Old 08-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Making biscuits in a skillet

Some of my relatives used to make the best biscuits on the top of the stove in a cast iron skillet. And they also make great fried okra!

I would appreciate directions/recipes so that I can try to revive these great traditional Southern dishes.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
FINALLY! A question I can answer. Cast iron cooking is definitely "Good Eats." I use my cast iron for everything but reactive foods (acidic things like tomatoes) and for boiling pasta. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

And you haven't had a pizza until you've had a deep-dish Chicago-style pizza baked in a cast iron skillet.

First you need a quality cast iron skillet. Buy something made by Lodge, they're the only American manufacturer of cast iron cookware left in business. Try to get a piece of their "Logic" cookware, which is preseasoned.

If you need help seasoning your skillet, let me know, I have a tutorial that I use on other message boards.

Here's a few tried and true CI cookware recipes:

Skillet Corn Bread

You Will Need:
- 2 cups Corn Meal
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Diced jalapeno, habenero, serrano, or other chiles (optional, but reccomended )

To Prepare:

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease the inside of your 8-inch cast iron skillet and place it in the oven. In a medium or large bowl, beat your egg and add milk and oil. Stir in sugar, then cornmeal, just until moistened. The batter should be lumpy - do not overmix. Carefully remove your skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Return to oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes. The top of your cornbread should be golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean when the bread is done. Serve warm.

Cream Breakfast Gravy

You Will Need:
- 1 cup Self-rising Flour
- 1/2 small can of Canned Evaporated Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Grease or shortening

To Prepare:

This recipe works well cooked in a skillet after frying bacon or sausage. Leave the bacon or sausage grease, as well as any small bits of meat, in the skillet. You may also use cooking oil or shortening in place of the bacon or sausage grease. In a large bowl measure out 1 cup of self-rising flour. Add the milk. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes, then slowly add to the heated skillet, mixing well as you add it. Heat to boiling. If the gravy is too thick, add a bit of water. If too thin, add a bit more flour. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Southern Biscuts
(recipe courtesy of Alton Brown)

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits in cast iron skillet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:59 PM
If you want to cook the biscuits on top of the stove just mix your biscuit dough or even canned, no big deal either way. Just get the skillet hot (it helps if you have a lid) once the skillet is hot just put the biscuits in and put the lid on. Set the skillet aside on a simmering burner and wait 10-12 minutes or so. If you don't have a lid wait about 5-6 minutes and flip the biscuits over so they'll cook on both sides.

I love my cast iron, skillets, griddles, dutch ovens and others.

I make biscuits in my dutch oven whenever we go camping...good stuff.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by t-keela
If you want to cook the biscuits on top of the stove...
Right. Forgot to mention that part.

These are good either way.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 AM
your way is best but the OP did ask about top stove bread

wasn't tryin to be snippy