Old 08-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Acclimate vs. acclimatize

In his book on Mount Everest, Jon Krakauer repeatedly uses the word "acclimatize."

Is there any meaningful difference between this and "acclimate"?
Old 08-15-2003, 09:58 AM
they are synonymous, according to merriam webster..
http://m-w.com
Over this side of the atlantic, we would usually use acclimatise, with an 's' of course. I wasn't familiar with the word acclimate until now.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Some folks prefer to use "acclimate" for what happens under laboratory conditions, while "acclimatize" is used for natural conditions. I have no idea how widespread this distinction might be, though.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off