Old 10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
How do you pronounce H.R. Giger?

I've been really fascinated with his work lately, and i was wondering how his name is pronounced.

Is it GUY-GUR or GEE-ZHARE or GUY-ZHARE?

Anybody know?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
I've usually heard it pronounced GEE-gur in the US on documentaries about the Alien films and when Harlan Ellison was gushing about a painting of his on Tom Snyder's show once.

But I don't know if this is the correct pronunciation or just the one that has become accepted in the US.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Listening to the commentary on the Alien DVD, it's Gee-gur.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
I've heard (a recording of) him pronouncing it GEE-gur, so I'm pretty comfortable assuming that GEE-gur is the most correct pronunciation.

Of course, John Dillinger didn't know the correct pronunciation of his own name, so who can say?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 PM
'Aitch. Arr. Gee-gur.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:45 PM
"Throat-Warbler Mangrove"