Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Charter Member
Navajo word ''Anasazi.'' So what does it really mean?

OK, on a recent trip to New Mexico, I was able to visit Bandelier National Monument. One of the blurbs referred to this word (often used to refer to the pre-Navajo pueblo-dwelling Indians) as actually meaning "ancient enemies," not "ancient ones," as it is often translated.

So, what's the deal? Is this one of those words that just has multiple meanings? It seems highly unlikely that people that had left the area several hundred years previously would be considered "enemies." Might it be just an ambiguous translation, such as, oh, maybe in Navajo, the same word doubles as "stranger" (or "those guys" to refer to an old Cecil column) and "enemy?"

Old 10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
It is a word that might mean "ancient enemies" or merely "ancient non-Navajo" (then again "not-us" is very often a synonym for "enemy").

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: pooping movies grecian 2000 amnesic drugs gross nipple for profit fundraising my leige funny phone greetings teletubby po doll 2x6x16 home depot teddy garment tk421 quote rv mpg flylady forums richard barile csi still life piece of wheat hottentot meaning store bought coleslaw gnc fat burners posen speech judo self defense penzeys spice jars coconut lifesavers president capitalize movies lengths icecream tune titrated dose refrigerator decibels higher profile tires barry kidston transexual intercourse hubble whale oil botulism garlic smell tobacco peanut butter and syrup sandwich recipe persona 3 fes tartarus bosses kotor light or dark side humming noise in house water pipes my betta fish isn't eating why is palpatine deformed what does earl grey taste like owning a travel trailer what eats brown recluse spiders how to get a driver's license without a car i keep my breath smelling like shit so i can get funky car cd player repair shop carol burnett eunice sorry hard drive sector calculator residential steel door frames if you pee your pants in a car accident how long can pepperoni stay unrefrigerated is plasma donation income taxable per user queued windows error reporting sex shows las vegas strip the law that never was jimmy neutron vs dexter toe jam under nails difference between schedule 40 and schedule 80 wednesday evening church services chinese character for soup and courage how to not get bed head for guys how does draino work dogs howling at the moon how to stitch a wound at home rita mae brown fannie flagg see you later alligator response marrying into a dysfunctional family