Old 11-16-2003, 01:15 AM
2001 basic V6 Mustang - Will my insurer consider this a sports car?

So I just bought a new car today. Traded in my old pickup on a Ford Mustang. I"m quite taken with it. Its not a GT or anything - it just has a v6 in it. nothing crazy - no turbo or supercharged anything. Well, all my buddies have been telling me that because its a v6 and not a v8, my insurance wont consider it a "sports car" and that my insurance rate won't be that dreadful - that it'll just be considered a two-door coupe. I am, however, quite skeptical of this and I'm terrified that when I call my insurance agent, he's gonna tell me that its classified in the same division as say, some gnarly corvette and that my insurance payments are gonna be like a prison rape session. Oh, and I forgot to mention,....*sigh*.....its fucking CHERRY red. (it is beautiful, I must say). So whats up? I acknowledge that different insurance companies have different ways of doing things, but what do you think I'm in for?

(And yes, I know I should have looked into such matters before buying the car, but I just had to - it was too beautiful and the deal was just too sweet...)
Old 11-16-2003, 07:33 AM
I believe cars are rated by their VIN number. Your V6 car will probably have 1 or 2 digits that are different from a V8 car, which should yeild you a lower rate. It might be a bit higher than say a 2 Door frontwheel drive car in that your mustang isn't really that slow because it's a six.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Talk to your insurance agent and see what s/he can do for you.

When I was 19, I had a 1970 Mustang Mach I - a muscle car that was definately a red flag for insurance companies, especially in the hands of an under-21-year-old. I stopped in at my agent's to arrange insurance and told him the make and model of the car.

"From now on, it's not a Mach I," he said. "It's a 2-door Mustang hardtop." Then he showed me a comparison of the rates.

Yep, he was right. It was a 2-door Mustang hardtop, all right.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:16 AM
I have the 2000 V6 Mustang, and my insurance company doesn't consider it a sports car. Does that vary by insurance company? I'm not sure. Anyway, my rates are comparable to my friends who drive Hondas and Toyotas, so if your company tries to jack your rates up, shop around.

Oh, and I could be wrong on this, but I thought I heard that insurance companies weren't allowed to charge higher rates for red cars anymore. I could be remembering wrong on that, though...
Old 11-16-2003, 01:33 PM
I am sooo grateful for your responses. I feel a lot better now. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:17 AM
by the way, Anamorphic....who is your insurer? I'd love to know!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Is that the Performance Red or the Torch Red? I can't remember what Ford called it in 2001. Anyway, your insurance will be lower than that of a GT because of the VIN.

And as a quick plug, I'm a mod at a V6 Mustang website so if you have any questions about your car, stop on by.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
I work in an insurance office, and I just looked up to see what types of vehicle would put you in a slightly more expensive rate. The Mustangs on the list are as follows:

Mustang Cobra
Mustang FR500
Mustang GT
Mustang LX 5/OL
Mustang Saleen
Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Yeah, but do you want to be the kind of guy that drives a V6 pony car?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lukaspriest
by the way, Anamorphic....who is your insurer? I'd love to know!
I'm with Progressive. Haven't had a chance to see how good they are when I need them. Hope to keep it that way!
Quote:
Originally posted by dead0man
Yeah, but do you want to be the kind of guy that drives a V6 pony car?
Sure, why not. Car snobbery has never meant anything to me.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:09 PM
The V6 mustang isn't anything special and colour does not make a difference to most insurance companies (at least the 3 I've been with didnt).

Where do you live lukaspriest? The mustang must cost more if you're in the snow belt because of higher crash risk in the winter.

Badmana