Old 01-04-2004, 12:18 AM
BANNED
South Park question: Is there a real Terrance & Phillip?

In the movie South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, the action is driven by a pair of Canadian comedians, "Terrance and Phillip," who speak very with a very elegant accent, and whose material consists mainly of fart jokes and elaborately obscene insults. They also appear in several episodes of the TV series. Are Terrance and Phillip based on any real-life Canadian comedy act?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Um, actually aren't they based on Beavis and Butthead?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:17 AM
Everybody knows Canadians don't fart, silly.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:28 AM
I always figured that Terrance and Phillip was the crude cartoon that South Park kids watch, just as South Park is the crude cartoon we (well, some of us) watch. Presumably T&P watch a cartoon starring a pair of nauseated amoebae.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured too, but they appear in person in the movie. And Kyle's mom refers to them as actors.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achernar
Yeah, that's what I figured too, but they appear in person in the movie. And Kyle's mom refers to them as actors.
Of course they are! CTV can't afford animation.

I saw an E! show about Mike Myers. As a teen he was on a children's western show on some local Canadian station. Good grief was it ever cheap.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Charter Member
They also refer to the T&P movie having 'crappy animation'.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GuanoLad
They also refer to the T&P movie having 'crappy animation'.
Ha ha, yeah, I love that line, because immediately after, you see the four boys walking down the street, animated crappily.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:53 AM
I saw the South Park creators on Dennis Miller's talk show one time. They said that T&P came about because of the abuse they were getting that South Park had crappy animation and was nothing but fart jokes. They came up with a cartoon that was super crappy animation and literally nothing but fart jokes.

Certainly T&P don't closely resemble anything on actual Canadian TV, although I'm sure something hilarious could be done with a parody of our bizarre National Film Board cartoons.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Essentially, they're an exaggeration of certain elements in South Park itself, much like Itchy & Scratchy on the Simpsons are an exaggeration of certain elements of Tim & Jerry.

Archenar:

Quote:
I guess the show is animated versions of real people. I recall there was a Mr. T animated show once, and he's real. I'm sure there are numerous other examples.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 01-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Naw, Terrance and Phillip are "real people" to the South Park kids. It's not supposed to be shoddy. Well, it is. But in the South Park world they're just Canadians. Remeber the line "You canadians, with your beady eyes, and flapping heads!"? I always loved that one...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:49 PM
BANNED
But why Canadians? I mean, why did the creators decide to make T&P Canadians? (Which leads to a U.S.-Canadian war in the movie.) Do Canadian comics have a reputation for over-the-top crudity? I never heard of such a thing, outside of South Park.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RahRahMah
Naw, Terrance and Phillip are "real people" to the South Park kids. It's not supposed to be shoddy. Well, it is. But in the South Park world they're just Canadians. Remeber the line "You canadians, with your beady eyes, and flapping heads!"? I always loved that one...
Love them flapping heads.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:59 PM
BANNED
T&P regularly switch back and forth between being refered to as cartoon characters and actors. They started out as animated characters, but in Bigger, Longer, Uncut they were both, depending on the situation.

They made fun of this in the Behind the Music parody episode (Behind the Blow I think?) They showed a really well done Saturday-morning-style animated version of them as astronauts, but with different voices! The narrator then says how, "This lead to a lot of confusion as to whether Terrence & Phillip were real people or just cartoons".
Old 01-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrainGlutton
But why Canadians? I mean, why did the creators decide to make T&P Canadians? (Which leads to a U.S.-Canadian war in the movie.) Do Canadian comics have a reputation for over-the-top crudity? I never heard of such a thing, outside of South Park.
Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense when Terrance calls Phillip "the biggest dick in Canada."
Old 01-05-2004, 09:26 PM
[hijack]

I have a quesiton, in the rainforest episode (getting gay with kids), the woman was supposedly voiced by Jennifer Aniston. It sounded a lot like her, a lot a lot, was it really her?

[/hijack]
Old 01-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
TeemingOne, according to IMDB, that was Jennifer Aniston.

Robin
Old 01-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Undetected, They Walk Among Us

In a recent(?) episode of South Park the boys go up to Canada to rescue Kyle's adopted brother Ike. They run into a guy name Scott. All the other Canadians say "Scott is a dick."

Are they referring to that guy in the Alliance party???
Old 01-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Re: Undetected, They Walk Among Us

Quote:
Originally posted by DogsLunch
In a recent(?) episode of South Park the boys go up to Canada to rescue Kyle's adopted brother Ike. They run into a guy name Scott. All the other Canadians say "Scott is a dick."

And here I thought they meant Scott Thompson!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:57 AM
I get the feeling that T&P started out as cartoons with no real national origin. Then the creators realized, "Hey, they've got the same flapping head that Ike has, and we've already established that Ike is Canadian. So why not make all flapping-head people Canadian?"

That's my impression of it anyway.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Charter Member
Re: Undetected, They Walk Among Us

Quote:
Originally posted by DogsLunch

Scott is just a character from the infamous "April Fool's" episode of South Park, when you thought you'd get to find out who Cartman's father was but instead you got to watch Terrance & Phillip in "Not Without My Anus". Scott was just created as an archenemy for Terrance & Phillip. He hates T&P and wishes they get cancer.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
BANNED
So can anyone explain the whole "flapping head" thing? My original assumption was that Terrance and Phillip were just supposed to be badly drawn, and Ike was just supposed to be odd-looking, and then for some reason they decided to make them all Canadian and draw all the Cannucks that way.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Excalibre:

Quote:
So can anyone explain the whole "flapping head" thing?
A joke that took on a life of its own. No deep thought involved.

Chaim Mattis Keller
Old 01-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Canadian cars also have square wheels and there are very few fat people in Canada, despite eating lots of Kraft dinner.

Excuse me now. I'm going to go dress as a pirate and search for treasure!

Old 01-06-2004, 04:37 PM
So they're NOT based on B&B?
Old 01-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Most definitely not.