Old 03-07-2004, 11:45 PM
"Kick his ass, seabass"

A few months ago, a colleague of mine received this response from an email bcc: to opposing counsel:

Kick his ass, seabass.

Catchy, right? But where the hell did it come from?

A week or so ago, I heard the same phrase on the Discovery Channel show American Hotrod. If you do a Google search, it comes up more than a few times.

But where the hell did it come from?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM
I recall it from the movie "Dumb and Dumber" when Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are in the bar about to get beaten by the truckers as one of the truckers tells one of the others to "kick his ass, seabass!" Haven't heard it anywhere else really...
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan
I believe the first usage was from "Dumb and Dumber." When either Harry or Lloyd - I can't remember who - heaves a salt shaker over his shoulder after spilling the salt, it hits Seabass, a big mean redneck. He marches over to demand who the hell threw the salt and one of his friends yells, "kick his ass, Seabass!" It's actually his name, not just a rhyming expression.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Graphite is a great
http://geocities.com/dumbsounds/

About the 18th one down from the top.

You're welcome.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 AM
The previous two posters are right. I just wanted to point out that the character of Seabass is played by Cam Neely, who played hockey with the Boston Bruins and recently had his number 8 retired.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Does "ass" rhyme with "seabass", if one has an American accent? I'm speaking it aloud, but I can't seem to make the two rhyme.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I get the feeling that "Dumb and Dumber" is this generation's "Citizen Kane." My apologies for my social retardation. And my thanks for being surrounded by people who know the cinematic genius of said film.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jervoise
Does "ass" rhyme with "seabass", if one has an American accent? I'm speaking it aloud, but I can't seem to make the two rhyme.
In an American accent, yes: the "a" in each is the same as in the words "flat" or "fact" or "happy".

We would transcribe your (presumably UK) pronunciation as "arse" or "ahss" or even "Oz" with a hard "Ess" instead of a "Zee" (which you would call a "Zed"). The "a" in your pronunciation is presumably the same as in "bravo".
Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Ah, thanks. I pronouce "ass" as "arse"/"ahhse" and "seabass" with a flat A ("see-bas"), so they don't rhyme well.

Australian pronounciation, BTW.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurph
In an American accent, yes: the "a" in each is the same as in the words "flat" or "fact" or "happy".
Not this American, at least. I pronounce the a in "ass" or "bass" like I pronounce it in air or fair. Sort of like ayas, or bayas, except the y sound isn't really enunciated...air would be ayer.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
What's the soup du jour?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithnmick
What's the soup du jour?
It's the soup of the day.

(So, will this degenerate into a Dumb and Dumber quote-fest?)
Old 03-08-2004, 10:07 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithnmick
What's the soup du jour?
That's the soup of the day.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:09 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth
It's the soup of the day.

(So, will this degenerate into a Dumb and Dumber quote-fest?)
[Homer S]
Why you little...
[/Homer S]
Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
I don't know if this is germane, but maybe it's a hockey thing.

The Pittsburgh Penguins Goalie, Jean Sebastien Aubin is nicknamed Seabass (short for the Sebastien part).