Old 04-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Charter Member
Disclosing my occupation on the 1040

Just finished filling out my income tax forms this morning, and the last question on the 1040 form -- after asking for your signiature -- is "occupation." What's the point of that? Is the IRS collecting demographic information? Would I get in trouble if I answered "rodeo clown" or "hit man" (given than neither of those accurately describes my current profession?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm no expert - not a lawyer nor accountant nor IRS worker, but I think you *could* get in trouble, since you sign the whole form 'under penalties of perjury.' I have no idea if they'd actually bother to take you to task, though.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995
Just finished filling out my income tax forms this morning, and the last question on the 1040 form -- after asking for your signiature -- is "occupation." What's the point of that? Is the IRS collecting demographic information? Would I get in trouble if I answered "rodeo clown" or "hit man" (given than neither of those accurately describes my current profession?
IANA IRS auditor but my mom answers taxpayer questions for the IRS. I dont think it really matters what you put. She has seen returns where people claim they are drug dealers, prostitutes, pimps, etc. About all they really care about is are you paying the proper amount of taxes on your income, not how you made it. In addition it apparently takes some kind of hefty federal level warrant to get the IRS to release any information about you.

So unless law enforcement can get the proper warrant to get your tax info, they will not even know. The federal gov't is not in the business of handling street crime, unless IIRC it crosses state lines.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:15 PM
The tax-help computer programs say it's so the IRS can make a guess on whether you might have any unreported under-the-table income if they're considering auditing you. A hit man would be more likely to be audited than an office worker, because the former usually work in cash and therefore have more opportunity to under-report their income.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:39 PM
More realistically, I'd point out that tipped employees would be more likely to get "under the table tips" audits than hitmen. Doorman, waiter, ... etc
Old 04-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Charter Member
I'm in a rather audit-prone profession and have always put a euphemism for my true occupation in that place on the form.

I've read that the audit selection program pays some attention to that field when picking lucky winners, so I wanted something which their word-matcher didn't recognize, but which would pass the truth test if somebody ever made an issue of it.

So far, no audits, although whether my precautions have had any effect we'll never know.
Cynicism is Evil. It provides an excuse to expect nothing but the worst from others while simultaneously excusing all the worst in yourself. It's lazy, selfish, and ignorant all tightly wrapped into a toxic ball of nasty.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
I either don't put in anything or something very general because sometimes the IRS does job-specific audits and can use this to sort by occupation. For example, if they decided to audit all jockeys. Of course this was back a lot of years ago when I used to work for them; maybe they don't have the manpower now. But just in case...
Old 04-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Woodall
More realistically, I'd point out that tipped employees would be more likely to get "under the table tips" audits than hitmen. Doorman, waiter, ... etc
Yeah, I was going to say "waitress," but decided to go with the example the OP used.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy
I'm in a rather audit-prone profession and have always put a euphemism for my true occupation in that place on the form.

I've read that the audit selection program pays some attention to that field when picking lucky winners, so I wanted something which their word-matcher didn't recognize, but which would pass the truth test if somebody ever made an issue of it.

So far, no audits, although whether my precautions have had any effect we'll never know.

Mind if I ask what you put?