Old 05-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Repetitive Panda Names?

I was reading an article about some pandas that (may have) just mated in. Their names are Shuan Shuan and Ling Ling.

Reading the article, here are the names of some of the pandas at the Tokyo Zoo that were mentioned:

Shuan Shuan
Ling Ling
Fei Fei
Huan Huan
Tong Tong
You You

I assume the double names for pandas must be a traditional thing. Where did this come from? Is it just a lack of originality of Japanese zoo keepers? As a (stupid) foreigner I find it slightly annoying and repetitive.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:55 PM
forgot the link...

Its not really relative to the question, but here is the link to the story.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...5947-6310r.htm
Old 05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
IANAPNE (I Am Not A Panda Naming Expert), but my understanding is that the double names are a diminutive. It's like calling a boy named Jim "Jimmy" or someone named Robert "Bobby." Basically, Ling Ling is the cutesy form of Ling.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM
BANNED
I'd just like to mention that those names, like pandas themselves, are Chinese. They don't even look like Japanese words.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 PM
That is correct. It isnt uncommon for Chinese people to give "double names" to things or pets when they want to make it seem more cute. Sort of like how people say "love-y dovey" or something was "yummy yummy."

For example I have a friend that has a pomeranian named Dou Dou. It literally means "Bean Bean," but someone would interpret it as "Little Bean," or "Bean-y" if there was such a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman
IANAPNE (I Am Not A Panda Naming Expert), but my understanding is that the double names are a diminutive. It's like calling a boy named Jim "Jimmy" or someone named Robert "Bobby." Basically, Ling Ling is the cutesy form of Ling.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 PM
FTR, we have pandas at the Memphis Zoo named Ya Ya and Le Le.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Also, this repeating of words is pretty much a staple of Chinese. It's used in many situations for various effects.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:27 PM
the pandas born in san diego don't fall into this pattern. hua mei and mei sheng; mom (born in china) is bai yun. the dads have double names, shi shi and gao gao.

it is neat to hear the handlers call the pandas in. the double name works well, like mr cosby said, you have to go with the name you can really stretch out when calling. (paraphrased)
Old 05-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I remember a story some time ago, when China lent a panda to an American zoo (might have been the Bronx Zoo?) for the purpose of mating so that the American zoo could get a panda exhibit going. The pair were together for quite some time, and neither was interested in the other. Probably David Letterman gave his observation that Ling Ling and Shang Shang were Gay Gay.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair
the pandas born in san diego don't fall into this pattern. hua mei and mei sheng; mom (born in china) is bai yun. the dads have double names, shi shi and gao gao.

it is neat to hear the handlers call the pandas in. the double name works well, like mr cosby said, you have to go with the name you can really stretch out when calling. (paraphrased)
Very typical in Chinese for kids nicknames or pets to give they a full name such as "hua mei" and then a nickname like "mei mei." YMMV
Old 05-06-2004, 10:56 PM
The mascot for the 1990 Asian Games in Beijing was named Panpan.

It was a little disturbing to see the logo of the panda aiming a gun (for the shooting events) just a year after the whole Tiananmen tragedy.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqa
It was a little disturbing to see the logo of the panda aiming a gun
Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "bamboo shoot."
Old 05-07-2004, 06:12 AM
We have two Chinese students in our lab named Tingting and Dingding, respectively. Tingting means "tall and beautiful" but Ting by itself, is just gibberish. It's only when the repetition is there that the name has meaning. Perhaps the same is true of the panda names?