Old 05-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Most commonly used song in movies?

I'm sure this information is in the IMDB somewhere, but I'm not sure how to find it. What song, not written for a movie, has been used in the most movies? I don't mean Happy Birthday...a real song!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Charter Member
Dang, I was going to say "Happy Birthday".

I've heard "Born to be Wild", "When a Man Loves a Woman", and that "Oh Yeah" song used in several movies. No idea if they're the most common though.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Charter Member
I was going to guess either Born to be Wild or Bad to the Bone.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:00 PM
An entertaning MP3 that may help answer this question.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Movies don't often use Happy Birthday anyway because of the rights issues. Here's a StraightDope column about it.

Anyway, hey you!, that link is absolutely terrific.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
Movies don't often use Happy Birthday anyway because of the rights issues. Here's a StraightDope column about it.
The link mentions that the song is still under copyright so a studio would have to pay royalties for using it in a movie. So I don't see how that would discourage them from using that song. They'd have to pay royalties for any song written in the last seventy years or so (or since whenever the copyright is still valid). In fact, most movies use songs written since the 1960's or so, or new songs written for the movie, so there are almost always still royalties involved. And even if the movie used some safely public domain musical composition, they'd have to pay some sort of performance royalties to whomever performed it.

Plus, while I'm not a movie producer, I can't imagine that the music royalties amount to very much in the overall budget.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:23 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
I don't recall the details myself, but it's been discussed on these boards before. Perhaps someone will pop in with the answer.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Charter Member
I'd guess that "Gaudeamus Igitur" must be pretty high on the list ... any scene set in a University will be virtually certain to have it playing as part of the score.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:32 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Which reminds me that Pomp and Circumstance pops up a lot, but that's because it really is used at so many graduations...
Old 05-08-2004, 06:37 PM
My WAG would be the Blue Danube Waltz. Which I hate, passionately.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:51 PM
How about Orff's Carmina Burana, which seems to be used in every single epic battle scene?
Old 05-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Ahh, that would be Orff's O Fortuna, the opening movement of Carmina Burana.