Old 05-27-2004, 04:56 PM
The Day After Tomorrow (spoilers?)

Fixin' to go see a sneak preview.

Anybody know things I should look for? (I'm a member of the Nitpickers Guild.) Has it been reviewed yet? Good or bad? Do you want to hear about it when I come back?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:11 PM
From what I've heard, typical Hollywood. Crappy story/Acting, fanstastic special effects.

I'll be seeing it in about 3 hours so I'll get back to you.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
BANNED
I caught a screening of it, and I love the movie. I usually try to find things about movies that irritate me, but I was really caught up in everything going on in this one.

I think the director went on record already as admitting that the events in the movie could not take place in the time frame allotted, and were only hurried through for entertianment value. I don't mind.

Some things I did notice that made me go "hmm?" though:

SPOILER:
- Can you really walk from Philadelphia to NYC in the span of 2 or 3 days, in snow, with dozens of pounds of gear, dragging a fat guy behind you for several hours?

- What the hell does an earthquake have to do with weather patterns? I don't see how snowstorms could've really influenced the earthquake.

- Things don't just magically turn into ice at subzero temperatures. I suppose this is done for purely entertainment value, but throughout the movie, things suddenly turn into ice and creep up on the actors slightly slower than they are moving.

- I guess it was just sheer bad luck that made the wolves miss the hundreds of people walking through the snow and just attack our 3 good guys.

- Cell phone towers, IIRC, are run off of power lines. No power = no cell tower = no cell phone.

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Considering the movie comes from the guy who gave us Independence Day, I'm surprised it's this coherent.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:17 PM
It's already a spoiler thread, no need for boxes.

That was no earthquake. That was the building being shaken apart by the tornado. Trust me, I've been in a couple, and they came pretty darn close to what I imagine an F4/F5 might feel like in a high rise.

As to the rest of the show...

Well, it had some good parts. I liked the resourcefulness and mutual trust of the kids. I liked the relationship between the Dad and his family and workers.

The cliches of the government not listening to the scientists is a staple of this movie genre, so nothing much to say there.

As to the actual science, I think they let their own beliefs/wishes/conceptions about things influence the scenario. It wouldn't happen like that. Our research into the past has shown us that change, outside of some external event, doesn't happen so quickly. But that wouldn't make an exciting movie, now would it?

Plus, where were all the weather satelites? Why did they have to rely on the space station?

Like I said, I'm a nitpicker. And this movie maker seems to have some sort of agenda biting his ass.

Overall, it was entertaining. I give it a B-.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Charter Member
Well, NoClueBoy, if you think the movie rates a B, even a B-, maybe I'll give it a whirl. Sometimes the science isn't the most important thing, it's "if it was happening like that, how would people really act?"

And at the risk of being derided, I'll say I liked "Independence Day"
Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Just saw it tonight. Overall, a C (A+ for effects, D- for plot/story), IMO.

I really liked it when L.A. got socked! (But then again, I'm from NYC. Hehe.)

But seriously... the NYC tidal wave was awesome too. Very few of the snow/freezing effects wowed me, however, and the wolves looked downright phoney.

To close with a nitpicky comment: There is no need to burn the books in the NYPL. First, paper makes crappy fuel. Second, the place contains tons of wood -- tables, chairs and shelves -- that burns better and longer.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:22 AM
A reporter from the NY Times complained that when he saw it, he felt no compassion for the hundreds of millions of people being killed. Was this true as well for those of you who saw it?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:59 AM
I think it looks like the entire thing is about effects and the characters (i.e. people) are only there to add dialogue. That kinda annoys me, so there is little chance we'll see it in the theatre even if it looks really neat.

Maybe a renter, but I still won't keep my hopes up.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal
A reporter from the NY Times complained that when he saw it, he felt no compassion for the hundreds of millions of people being killed. Was this true as well for those of you who saw it?
Well, they're all kinda wiped out off camera, so it's tough to feel for them. Watching NY get trashed was kind of strange.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal
A worthy point. The movie totally avoided shots and references to the mass carnage that had to be occurring just about everywhere on the northern hemisphere. Every once and a while I found myself considering this and saying to myself, "Gee, this movie is sidestepping a pretty big aspect of the plot here." Then I'd deduct points in my head. And because I could not give a crap about any of the main characters -- they were all so blah, especially the mom -- I would agree that the movie was essentially compassionless.

I think they tried to give you a flavor for the mass deaths by showing the band of library survivors that attempted to flee south on foot but were frozen to death. But it wasn't near enough to make the point. I mean the NYC metro area contains 8 to 10 million people. There would be corpses, survivors and the injured everywhere.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
I saw it tonight. Was good enough filler to hold the boffo special effects together. I didn't really care about the Dad's storyline, and the Mom/doctor/cancer patient thing was just a waste of space. And they never went anywhere with the president side of the story. He died, the VP replaced him, and admitted he was wrong. Big whoop.

It is truly amazing how far the effects have come. Photoreal tidal waves thru NYC, completely computer rendered, with fake buildings, fake people, and fake buses being washed away. Who needs models anymore? And the whole opening flyover is CG, and the whole first Antarctica scene was done with inserted backgrounds.

An obvious nitpick is that the tidal wave should have knocked over the Statue of Liberty. The director says in EW this week that he felt that was a little inappropriate for NYC after 9/11.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Found a link for you nitpickers.

I saw the movie tonight and I quite liked it. The effects were definitely awesome, though the plot had many weak points (ones that you people have already mentioned). I especially noticed the lack of dead people when we got the underwater view, as the ship was going past the library - I would think with all those people, there'd be corpses floating around everywhere. But I liked the movie (I'm not particularly fond of seeing corpses floating around anyway). I wouldn't have wanted to wait to rent this one, since the effects looked so awesome in the theatre.

Maybe this sounds a bit sick, but I wish they'd shown more international landmarks being destroyed. Okay, that definitely sounds sick. I just think it would've been cool to see what they could've done with say, the Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, stuff like that. Definitely a film targeted to an American audience.

I also liked the points it made about how humans are exploiting the environment's natural resources. After the movie, I went to the bathroom, and I actually used the automatic hand-dryers instead of paper towels!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:31 AM
The guys on the space station were kind of annoying, especially at the end when one said "Look how clear the air is!"

Well, I guess it's okay if four billion people die, if the air gets better.

The preachy sanctimony was obvious and I expect it will convince none but the stupidest viewers. Anyone who says the Bush Administration is or should be concerned about the impact of this movie is a serious doof.

The closing of the Mexico border was worth a chuckle, but in reality the Texas National Guard would just roll in with tanks and take over.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Hell, the citizens of Texas are better armed than Mexico!

The preachyness* I overlooked for the sake of enjoyment, which is what I meant by the movie makers having an agenda biting their ass.

BTW, using the electric hand dryer causes more environmental damage.**

*not just about environment, they were preachy about relations with third world nations, too.

**no site, I'm just joking, I don't realy know.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:02 AM
Everything I wanted to say about this movie has already been said.

Definitely aimed at an American audience, visual effects spectacular but the characters lacked depth and the performances of the leading actors were below par. This movie did not stir the emotions at all and I am normally easily moved. The speech at the end was the final straw for me in this movie, totally unnecessary.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:25 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastu
Everything I wanted to say about this movie has already been said.

Definitely aimed at an American audience, visual effects spectacular but the characters lacked depth and the performances of the leading actors were below par. This movie did not stir the emotions at all and I am normally easily moved. The speech at the end was the final straw for me in this movie, totally unnecessary.
This is what Mr. Cranky from "Red Eye" News paper here in Chicago had to say about it! http://mrcranky.com/movies/dayaftertomorrow.html
Old 05-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastu
Definitely aimed at an American audience

And yet they didn't give us a single frozen canuck-sicle to giggle at.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Charter Member
Cliche central. They were piled on top of each other clamouring for attention.

Why the hell should we care if some annoyingly goody-good family should survive, but not care about the news reporter who gets slammed by a flying billboard? Why should we be worried if the son will drown while making a phone call when it's screamingly obvious he's going to survive till the end? Why should we care if the girl has septicaemia, of all things, when we know she also is the only other one of the group clearly marked as a survivor to the end?

What I wished it was about was a long, realistic (within reason) oncoming ice age, economically shown in the first half hour, and then the rest of the movie showed what life would be like struggling to survive in the aftermath, perhaps after a period of five or ten years had passed.

Instead it's a bog-standard disaster movie.

Indeed, it was just like Indepndence Day and Godzilla, but with less giant lizards and aliens, and more snow.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad
Indeed, it was just like Indepndence Day and Godzilla, but with less giant lizards and aliens, and more snow.
Nicely put.

I was put in mind of the President's speech at the end of Independence Day, where he's talkin' about our independence and we will not go quietly into extinction, and blah blah blah.

I remember feeling two things -- "Wow, what an uninspiring speech," and "Wow, I'm supposed to feel inspired right now, so I'll pretend, so's I don't spoil the movie."

I felt this way through much of Day After Tomorrow. I mean, if they hadn't tried to EXPLAIN why the weather was going berserk, and why the megafreezewave was turning people into popsicles in seconds, I think I would have liked it better. As it was, I spent way too much of the movie going "Huh? That couldn't happen. How the hell could THAT work?"

As it was, I found that I didn't much care about most of the people (except Ian Holm, for some reason... maybe because he was Bilbo), and the teen relationships were downright embarrassing.

Oh, and does anyone remember the famous dog-escapes-explosion-in-tunnel scene from Independence Day? Apparently, someone does in my locality. One wag elsewhere in the theatre, during the tidal wave in Manhattan, cried, "Quick, turn down a side street!"

Ultimately, I think the most memorable thing about the movie was the jackass sitting behind me with the cell phone that played the Exorcist theme who accepted TWO calls during the show, and only put it the hell away when I turned around and said, "Excuse me, I PAID to see this movie, bud."

I swear, one of these days, you people are going to be reading about me on Yahoo News in the Oddly Enough section... "man goes berserk during movie, dismembers guy with cell phone..."
Old 05-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I think the wolve's scenes bother me the most. I don't know that much about weather (other than knowing much of the science used was flimsy), but I am more concerned with animals and biology. If the animals at the zoo were going beserk, the caretakers/veterinarians would have sedated or treated them, or moved them to another place. Second, if the wolves had indeed escaped, they would have done like the birds and get the hell out of NYC, not walk around the snow.

They never mention it in the movie, but it is easy to infer that the only kid with an intact family is the main teenager (Jason?). The others are now orphans.

The movie did surprise me, though. I was expecting the other suitor (the rich boy) to die before the rescue, and my friend thought the genius black teen would die, too.

Oh, and I feel they should have escaped to one of the bigger skycrapers. More food, comfort, and medical services. As shown at the end, lots of people did survive the storm by staying inside the buildings.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I enjoyed the movie... but damn, what was up with the poorly-done CG wolves? Jeez, couldn't they afford real wolves?
Old 05-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
My biggest problem with the movie was also the wolves. Why the hell not get real wolves?? They were soooo fake!

I was entertained by it, overall. The plot was implausible and we laughed at a lot of the stuff that was supposed to be tragic, and cracked jokes to each other in low whispers... but it was a fun 2+ hours on a Friday night that I don't regret.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:27 PM
My husband and I went to see it last night. We went for the special effects, and got what we were looking for there. I wasn't expecting much more (in terms of plot) so I wasn't disappointed.
What amused me most was the audience. They laughed, and loudly, at all the stupid little comic relief parts (dog wanting the hot dog, etc.). I was the only one who laughed at the Nietzsche joke though. I found it funny when people were gasping and saying "Oh my God" over and over during the wolf scene, near-drowning scene, etc. I'm sitting there thinking, "But he's Jake Gyllenhaal, you idiots, he's not] going to die!" But as my husband told me afterward, "Honey, that's the general public for you." Eh, I guess he's right.
What I was really waiting for in the end was for a newscaster to announce, "And by some miracle of God, the whole state of Minnesota has survived this 'super-snowstorm.'" Now there's and ending!
Old 05-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Quote:
I enjoyed the movie... but damn, what was up with the poorly-done CG wolves? Jeez, couldn't they afford real wolves?
Seriously, those were awful. They were huge, obviously CGI, and basically the raptors from Jurassic Park. On the other hand, I thought that their appearance on the boat was absolutely hilarious considering the uber-cliché way it had been telegraphed a half hour before (egad, the wolves are missing!).

The movie was a huge suck-fest and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone, but I did have a fun time seeing it. It's also worth noting that I went into it with two expectations: that it would suck and that I'd get to spend about an hour and a half staring at Jake Gyllenhaal and drooling. I wasn't dissapointed.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowval
"And by some miracle of God, the whole state of Minnesota has survived this 'super-snowstorm.'" Now there's and ending!
Of course, it would have been hysterical if the Minnesotans just came out and said "Global disaster, what global disaster? We thought this was a normal February, don't you know?"

When Quaid manages to hook up with his son, my first thought was "Okay, now what?" The implication is that they were going to trudge all the way back to... somewhere. Great plan, Dennis.

When we saw the Statue of Liberty frozen over, I couldn't help elbowing my buddy and whispering "You maniacs!"

The handling of cancer-boy struck me as odd. Given that the end of civilization as we know it is upon us, and this kid has about zero chance of being able to continue his chemo, wouldn't a more merciful act be to shoot him full of a lethal dose of morphine rather than have him die more slowly and painfully in a refugee camp?

And I have to echo the lousy impression the CG wolves made.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:43 AM
the best part of the movie was when the eye of the storm was over NYC and everything started to freeze.............and they were outrunning the freezing , like it was some sort of monster, i laughed a lot at that part.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlegs
the best part of the movie was when the eye of the storm was over NYC and everything started to freeze.............and they were outrunning the freezing , like it was some sort of monster, i laughed a lot at that part.
"Look out! It's an unusually severe cold front, out for revenge!"
Old 05-30-2004, 04:11 AM
I thought it was a surprisingly good movie.

I didn't find it any more or less preachy than the average movie.

The special effects were mostly superb. The wolves were an exception, but I don't think they were that bad. Just because you can tell they're CGI doesn't mean that they're necessarily horrible CGI. Just not great. The tornados and such were great. This movie would definitely lose something on the small screen.

As with "The Core", this movie has gotten more criticism of its science than is warranted. Yes, I just said that. If this were shown as a documentary on the Discovery Channel, I'd understand the complaints and nitpicks. But it's a movie! You never hear people say, "So, a guy is bitten by a genetically engineered spider and suddenly can shoot webs from his hands? As IF!" And yet when a movie is significantly more realistic than that, people complain about any and all inaccuracies.

I actually thought that (most of) the characters were fairly well done. And by that I mean they didn't spend too much time developing them. One of the things I hated about "Titanic" (and which I've heard "Pearl Harbor" suffers from as well) was that the Characters overshadow the Events. Obviously you need to know something about the characters, but certain movies are Character Movies and certain movies are not. I think "The Day After Tomorrow" falls into the latter category - I'm glad they just filled in the broad strokes.

Favorite parts of the movie overall: the pacing and special effects. There was always something interesting to look at. Something was always happening. This movie was thankfully free of too much introspection.

Least favorite part: The cringe-worthy banter about Neitzche. How cliché can you get? Arrogant male character says something praiseworthy about some historical dead white guy. Fiesty female character responds by saying said dead white guy was a chauvinist. It's as if the makers of the movie thought they'd try to sound intelligent by injecting a line or two about a philosopher. It just stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Re: Minnesota - I enjoyed myself a little too much seeing the coasts destroyed. I would have loved a quick shot of a couple of Minnesotans shoveling snow, one saying to the other calmly, "Looks like a pretty bad one this year."
Old 05-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
good morning friends,

as my wife and i left the theater last evening, we were handed fliers blaming global warming on the environmental policies of the bush administration by people representing move on .org
Old 05-30-2004, 10:32 AM
You got to give them credit for the cliche that didn't happen:

The "biiiiiig chill" is rolling in. Our heros are trying to get back to the warmth of the NYPL. They're almost there. But wait! A threatening wolf blocks their path. He is poised above the doorway of the library ready to pounce. Our heros have no time to find another way in, so they dash to the door. The wolf charges! Our heros won't make it. But just as the wolf leaps -- or better still, while in midair -- the biiiiiiig chill overtakes the beast. He is frozen solid. He lands on the ground with a thud, or better still, shatters into wolf bits. The heros escape! (Girls go, "Ewwwww!," boys go "Cool!.")

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if the scene was shot and it ended up on the cutting room floor (or will end up on the DVD).
Old 05-30-2004, 11:10 AM
I thought it was a terrific film. Sure, the science is laughable, but [Marvin Tikvah]come ON![/Marvin Tikvah], you don't go to a Roland Emmerich film looking for a sound extrapolation of science, or, for that matter, good dialogue and well-written characters. You go to his films to see 'things git blowed up real good," and in this film, he delivers.

Bits I enjoyed

Ian Holm's character
The final toasts in the weather station
The FX
The partisan digs at Cheney and Bush

Bits that had me raising questions on leaving the theater

Has it occured to the astronauts in the ISS that they are going to die, since there is now no nation with the technology to rescue them?

Shouldn't there have been a similar storm in the Southern hemisphere that would freeze Australia, New Zealand, and southern Chile and Argentina? (I think southern Africa would be spared because it's closer to the Equator)

A big ditto on the terminal cancer kid being euthanized. It makes no sense to stay and wait for an ambulance when the child will die a more prolonged death in a squalid refugee camp anyway.

Why does the US insist on staying in Mexico when they could spread out and go further south to countries on the Equator?

When we see flooded New York before the big freeze, why don't we see bodies and refuse floating in it?
Old 05-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobear
Has it occured to the astronauts in the ISS that they are going to die, since there is now no nation with the technology to rescue them?
Well, I believe the ISS keeps an old Soyuz capsule on hand at all times, so the astronauts can leave. Mexico seemed intact (even though Florida is completely frozen over, so figure THAT one out) so there should be plenty of places to land along the equator, assuming you can get an intact Naval vessel to be there to pick you up. I guess they'll have to make arrangements with Australia.

Quote:
Why does the US insist on staying in Mexico when they could spread out and go further south to countries on the Equator?
Uh, they like the Corona?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:52 PM
BANNED
HereS what CNN had to say about it

Personally I enjoyed it a lot
Old 05-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Charter Member
I thought it was kinda...boring, of all things! But I like Jake Gyllenhaal.

But the special effects, CGI, whatever, were awesome.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:54 PM
My friends and I enjoyed it, despite the false science and such. I love Dennis Quaid.

We were the only ones laughing like maniacs through the LA tornado scene -- I guess that's what happens when you are from Kansas and went through a tornado warning just a few days before.

"Sir, I think we might need a tornado warning!" What, there's just one weather guy in the entire LA area? Um, ever hear of the national weather service?

And don't get me started about the helicopter about 300 feet from the twister.

The one thing I really had to roll my eyes at was the wolves. I knew when the guy at the zoo said they'd escaped that eventually they'd find our young Hero, but I chose that moment to leave for the bathroom. I do have my limit of acceptable believability.

I'm just grateful that at the president's cabinet meeting no one suggested: "We need to detonate nuclear warheads in the troposphere!"
Old 05-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I liked how all of the LA media were seemingly within a hundred yards or so from the twisters - not to mention being out on the street with eveything blowing at them. It was as if the message was about how unreal Los Angeles itself is.

Did anyone else think the vice president bore quite a resemblence to Richard Cheney?

Cliches riddled the plot like the cancer in little Timmy's body, and spread twice as fast.

Speaking of whom, the dying kid/Sam's mom plot wasn't necessary in the least; neither was the "love triangle," for that matter. I did appreciate the dichotomy between Sam going to the ship for drugs and Jack heading north to resuce his son. Which, as someone mentioned earlier, made no sense. He originally left with a sled, so presumably he was going to grab his kid (and no one else!) and tow him back home on the sled, from NY to DC. Right.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman
... He originally left with a sled, so presumably he was going to grab his kid (and no one else!) and tow him back home on the sled, from NY to DC. Right.
The sled was for supplies, presumably. Which raises the question what they used for fuel/food
SPOILER:
after they lost the sled.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschild
The sled was for supplies, presumably. Which raises the question what they used for fuel/food
SPOILER:
after they lost the sled.
I'm not sure why that requires a spoiler tag, but aren't the two survivors seen with the sled after their buddy goes splat? I was under the impression they'd managed to get into the mall and retrieve the sled, though this wasn't shown.

I may be misremembering, though.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, Jack did tow whatshisface for a couple hours while the latter was passed out (although why he didn't die, I don't know). Did he put him on something other than the sled they started with?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Charter Member
I'm going to see it the day after tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Is Denis Quaid one of the underpants gnomes?

Step one Walk to NYC and get to son who is held up in the NY Public Library
Step two I'm not really sure about, didnt' even bring an extra jacket for him.
Step Three Happy Ending!

The bad thing about this film is that unlike ID4 where you kill the aliens and you start to rebuild,there is no happy ending. You get the suvivors out of the north and guess what? You still have 10,000 years of crapiness to live through.

Oh and I think a bona-fide scientist would tell his son he HAS to show his work.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:50 PM
I too found this surprisingly enjoyable even though the dialogue was horrendous. I basically MST3K'd right through it.

Enjoyable bits:

1. The Dick Cheney lookalike
2. Pretty Jake Gyllenhaal for me and pretty Emmy Rossum for others.
3. The dinghy's going out - actually gave me chills. Bravo Bilbo, err.. Ian Holm.
4. The NY tidal wave.
5. So THIS is what it takes to forgive 3rd world debt!

Snorts of derision:

1. The U.S. president staying behind until it's too late.
2. The wolves.
3. Run, it's the Freeze Monster!
4. Relationship advice during a global disaster.
5. Mr. I Love Books.

Random commentary

1. I usually have a good "dead meat" radar but this movie completely threw me off.
2. Realizing most U.S. citizens from red states would be able to be evacuated yet blue states were popsicles o' death. Take that liberal propaganda!
3. Dennis Quaid's character drove a hybrid!
4. NY citizens = ultimate survivors.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Charter Member
Dennis Quaid would make a great Indiana Jones, should it be realised that Harrison Ford is just way beyond doing another sequel.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 AM
Charter Member
The special effects were not bad. I was particularly impressed by the courtesy of the tidal wave to stop at the end of the street, giving the girl time to go retrieve another's purse (after all, the taxicab woman needed her passport to go somewhere). And my heart stopped when the Hollywood sign, of ALL THINGS, got destroyed to smithereens! What directorial ingenuity! Speaking of the director, congratulations to him for saving money by using wolves from "An American Werewolf in London." Those extra bucks saved were obviously used to turn out a riveting plot and snappy dialog!

*sigh* The special effects were good, for the most part, but so devoid of emotion that I could feel myself looking at pictures on a screen. When I think of great moments of special effects, I find images that not only took my breath away, but made me feel something. The space station in 2001. The mothership in Close Encounters. The first time we saw the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Part of the reason why those scenes were so spectacular were due to plot, character development, and dialog, the three features sorely missing in this flick. A decent B-movie will deliver on that.

I rate this movie two "caws" (for craptacular).
Old 05-31-2004, 10:01 AM
I luuuuuuuuuuv disaster movies. The worse the better. What this movie lacked was enough disaster. I remember seeing in the previews snow falling in India and that scene didn't make it in the movie. What about all the neat stuff happening in other parts of the world? Where's the global impact? Why am I watching 6 people in a library argue about what books to burn when so many other world landmarks are being spectacularily destroyed at this very moment?

I happily threw away science when I sat down to watch this movie so I could thoroughly enjoy the special effects, and instead they gave me character development. For shame. The killer tidal wave was awesome, though. They should have done another hour of CGI just like that.

/likes what I likes
Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 AM
The movie I saw had snow falling in India. I don't know what preview you're speaking of, though, but it definately was snowing when Bilbo hailed a cab for Doc Holiday.

One of the effects bothered me. When the tidal surge was approaching NYC, it was shown rising up to the armpit or so of Lady Liberty, yet it only reached up to about the 5th or 6th floor of the buildings right on the waterfront. Seems like a major hieght discrepancy that someone should've caught. I don't the deminsions of the Statue, so maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember it being pretty damn tall.

Plus, as the surge travelled up the harbour/river, shouldn't it break? Then Keanu and Patrick could surf it!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy

I don't know the diminsions of the Statue, so maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember it being pretty damn tall.
Especially when you include the base and the height above sea level of the island.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:48 PM
BANNED
I haven't seen the movie, but I was wondering what kind of crazy stuff would have happened where I live (bay area California). I know they had Los Angeles get hoovered up by tornadoes, but what about the rest of it? Did California become Tornado alley or something? Or should I anticipate getting washed away by some tidal wave that can wash 30 miles inland?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
Mexico seemed intact (even though Florida is completely frozen over, so figure THAT one out)
No it wasn't. Florida wasn't part of the big white snowy part at the end of the movie when they showed the Earth from space. I remember distinctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman
He originally left with a sled, so presumably he was going to grab his kid (and no one else!) and tow him back home on the sled, from NY to DC. Right.
No, I think as a previous poster said--the sled was for carrying all their crap along for the journey. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to be in NY with his son because he knew how to survive in very cold climates and felt he could take care of him. I never got the impression he was going to bring him back on his own or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad
Dennis Quaid would make a great Indiana Jones, should it be realised that Harrison Ford is just way beyond doing another sequel.
http://tinyurl.com/bgny