Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Baby please. I am not from Havana!

Just got done watching Blazing Saddles on DVD (A MUCH Better experience than watching it butchered on boradcast T.V.)

but what the heck does this phrase mean?

That and the one that follows about finding enough Vitamin E?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unintentionally Blank
Just got done watching Blazing Saddles on DVD (A MUCH Better experience than watching it butchered on boradcast T.V.)

but what the heck does this phrase mean?

That and the one that follows about finding enough Vitamin E?
At one time, before Castro and the Cuban Revolution, you could find Tijuana style live sex shows onstage in some of the scummier dives in Havana. Vitamin E was reputed to aid in ones sexual stamina.

I detest watching that movie on other than DVD, I hate it when they censor movies.

And I *really* wish they would return the line 'Why are you sucking on my elbow' that they cut out after the slurping sounds, and her saying 'Its twue, its twue'. *sigh* as if it is less risque letting people think she is going down on him instead of mistaking his arm for a different appendage=\
Old 07-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unintentionally Blank
Just got done watching Blazing Saddles on DVD
I hope that's the 30th Anniversary Edition. Finally, a DVD with "Candygram for Mongo" and all those other scenes!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
"What in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin on here? I'm payin you boys to build a railroad, not jump around like a buncha Kansas City faggots!"
Old 07-21-2004, 02:22 PM
"That uppity Nigger went an' hit me upside the hed with a shovel! I shore wish you would find it in the goodness of yor heart to hang him by his nek till he was DEAD!"

Old 07-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Olsen
I hope that's the 30th Anniversary Edition. Finally, a DVD with "Candygram for Mongo" and all those other scenes!
I'm 90% sure I don't have the 30th anniversary edition, but my DVD does have the "candygram for Mongo" bit. However, it doesn't have the "spanish balloons" scene, which I have been assured was actually in some version of the movie, not imagined by my fevered brain. Is that what you meant?

And as long as we're doing quotes.

"Mongo only pawn, in game of life."
Old 07-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
Well as long as we are quoting
"De said you was hung"

"And de was RIGHT"

[hijack]A buddy of mine is an exta in that movie. He is the "chopper" riding hoseman in the line of bad guys. He looks mexican in the movie, but he is Hawaiian[/hijack]
Old 07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy
I'm 90% sure I don't have the 30th anniversary edition, but my DVD does have the "candygram for Mongo" bit. However, it doesn't have the "spanish balloons" scene, which I have been assured was actually in some version of the movie, not imagined by my fevered brain. Is that what you meant?
The TV version had a some scenes added to make up for the deleted bits.
  • Candygram for Mongo
  • Draw on the Dummy Sheriff
  • Spanish balloons
  • Bart & Jim getting baptized while in the borrowed KKK outfits
  • LePetomaine visiting the dummies in Rock Ridge
  • Lily speaking gibberish German followd by Gabby Johnson speaking frontier gibberish
All these are reportedly (don't have it myself yet) part of the additional scenes on the 30th Anniversary Edition, which is a first to my knowledge.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Is it my DVD (both the earlier and the 30th edition), or does the director commentary cut out completely, halfway through the "I'm Tired" number? (Quite bummed about it).
Old 07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Olsen
The TV version had a some scenes added to make up for the deleted bits.
And IIRC those added scenes had for the most part been rightly left out of the finished product in the first place! Brooks shot LOTS of scenes, many of which just didn't work.

Mel Brooks is great, but sometimes tries too hard. Gene Wilder can be too low key. Together it seems they complemented each other so well that their comedic union was greater than the sum of their parts. Wilder restrained Brooks' less successful excesses while Brooks pushed Wilder to reach higher. IMHO
Old 07-22-2004, 01:11 AM
I Am the One Who Bans
I'm pretty sure the 'Candygram for Mongo' scene is in the regular movie. I've never seen any special editions of the movie and I know that one.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
I'm pretty sure the 'Candygram for Mongo' scene is in the regular movie. I've never seen any special editions of the movie and I know that one.
You might be right, it's been years since I've seen it on video and the IMDb is far from infallible.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Got the new DVD tonight and Marley Johnson is right!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Now I see what went wrong, I misread the IMDb entry.