Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Why "mansize tissues"?

'Mansize Tissues' - does anyone know where / why / when big tissues became 'mansize'?

A macho legacy perhaps...?
Are theyit based on a measurement or something?
Old 07-22-2004, 06:42 PM
[ot]

So-called man-sized tisssues are useless against the drippage and deafening sneezes I sometimes experience during allergy attacks. I resort to Brawny paper towels instead. Seriously.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Charter Member
Why man-size? What beef-eatin, big truck-drivin' man would want to buy little girlie tissues with flowers and birdies on them?

Make them a smidge bigger and change the birdies to deer and ducks, and you just opened up a new market that until now, has been using their sleeves.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:00 PM
As to the WHEN question...I distinctly remember buying a box for my dad as a kid because I thought it was HILARIOUS! This is around 25 years ago, circa 1980, so it's not a new thing, though it might be something the re-introduce every so often.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
The why is fairly obvious.

Human males, on average, are larger than human females. And both are larger than human children.

We have a lot of things in our culture based on that basic distinction. In clothing, a 'mens large' is a bigger size than a 'womens large'. Same with shoes. And most restaurants offer 'childs portions' of their meals.

Remember the bed sizes in the old fable "Goldilocks and the three bears"?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:12 PM
I would just like to state that my tissues are most definitely man-size.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Because of man size issues?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The why is fairly obvious.

<snip> Remember the bed sizes in the old fable "Goldilocks and the three bears"?
So why don't we see 'womansize' or 'teenagesize' etc?
I'd like to know why there seems to be only 'Mansize' and nothing else. I'm not attempting to dig at the 'It's so sexist' issue - just seems strange that it's on its own in its naming convention.

It'd be like Starbucks only offering 'tall' but no 'grande' or ..err... 'gigantic... (ie, the other one - I never need that much coffee)' - yet still offering other types of coffee - with flowers and birdies on the cup.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=flapcats]'Mansize Tissues' - does anyone know where / why / when big tissues became 'mansize'?

Because "Bloody awful stinking cold tissues" isn't a very appealing name.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Made for .......................

Man sized tissues were originally mad for Jimmy Durante, the original schnozzola!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Mucus machismo. But a man avoids the hoighty-toighty tissue field completely and hocks that loogie as God intended.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Well, everyone's avoided the obvious.

The average ejaculation is greater than the average sneeze mucus/whatever comes from your nose.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Kimberly-Clark launched ther first mansize tissue leading to the developement of the hugely successful Kleenex for Men Tissues
And it actually says

Kleenex : For Men on the box

So I reckon that sometime in the 80's they had to rename their product from For Men to Mansize for obvious reasons.

http://kleenex.co.uk/about/history/history.swf
Old 07-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticdonkey
Well, everyone's avoided the obvious.

The average ejaculation is greater than the average sneeze mucus/whatever comes from your nose.
I've heard it stated as fact that Kleenex for Men tissues were indeed designed for cleaning up after masturbating. No cite, because I can't remember where I heard that. However, if you look through the Kleenex site, you'll see that they're not marketed as facial tissues.

If true, they should have gone for a more honest name. Kleenex: Wank Rags has a certain ring to it.