Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: VT
Posts: 12,872
Is ethanol the only safe alcohol to drink?

Well, is it? I know that methanol is really bad to drink, as is rubbing alcohol (isopropyl, right?) but what about butyl? Or isobutyl? Or any one of the number of glycols? My organic chemistry knowledge is severly lacking, so I don't even know if everything I named is an alcohol or not. But anyways, all I want to know is can I drink alcohol other than ethanol and not die? I don't plan to do this anytime soon, just something I've been wondering.
#2
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 27,161
Ethanol is the only one safe to drink.

From this site:

Ethanol is the only alcohol safe for consumption. Other types of alcohol are not safe to drink. They can be toxic and even fatal is consumed. They include:

Butyl alcohol, or butanol. This type of alcohol, derived from butane, is commonly used in products such as adhesives and varnishes.
Methyl alcohol, also known as methanol or wood alcohol. It is used in the manufacture of formaldehyde and as industrial solvent. During Prohibition wood alcohol gained notoriety as a mixing agent with ethyl alcohol to make liquor. Several people became blind after drinking this toxic mixture, as methyl alcohol causes swelling of the optic nerve, an irreversible condition.
Isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol, is a common household product. It is used as a disinfectant and as an ingredient in cologne and after-shave lotion.
Ethylene glycol, also known as antifreeze, is the most harmful type of alcohol. It should never be consumed, as it is deadly.
#3
Old 08-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 5,791
Isn't propylene glycol supposed to be a non-toxic replacement for ethylene glycol antifreeze?
#4
Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
Just to mention in passing that some "rubbing alcohol" alcoholic products, such as "Witch Hazel" (a tincture of the witch hazel plant), are composed largely of denatured ethyl alcohol -- ethanol with additives to make it undrinkable -- because it remains safe as a topical substance and disinfectant, though not for internal consumption, when denatured.
#5
Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 27,161
I have known people that got desperate and drank isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol). While the results are not always disasterous, it is know to cause severe gastric disturbances.
#6
Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 2,076
Depends on what definition of "Alcohol" you use.

If you use the "clear colorless liquid that gets you stupid when you drink it" definition, then, yes, ethanol is the only one that's not likely to cause grievious ill effects if consumed regularly.

However, if you use the more general OChem definition of "almost anything with an -OH" dangling off one end... there are a lof of alcohols that you can eat/drink without dying in a fortnight. Many popular artificial sweetners are alcohols- xylitol and sorbitol, to name a couple. Menthol is another alcohol you'll probably recognize. I doubt you'd respond well to a big frosty mug of menthol (you'd chip your teeth most likely- it's a solid), but I don't think it would kill you outright.
#7
Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,138
The "basic" alcohols are named according to their number of carbon atoms -- methanol (1C), ethanol (2C), propanol (3C), butanol (4C), pentanol (5C), hexanol (6C), etc. What I recall from organic chemistry 30+ years ago is that the body metabolizes alcohol in pairs of carbon atoms, so to speak. Thus the ones with an even number of carbon atoms are less toxic than the ones with an odd number, and butanol and hexanol would'nt be as harmful as propanol and pentanol (in the same quantity), just as ethanol is less harmful than methanol.
#8
Old 08-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mid Atlantic, USA
Posts: 8,891
Ethanol isn't safe to drink, either. It's toxic - that's why you get intoxicated when you drink it. It can kill you. It damages your stomach and hurts your nervous system, both in acute and in chronic modes. Isn't ethanol the second biggest toxic killer of humans?

As I understand it, isopropanol is more toxic than ethanol, and methanol is more toxic than isopropanol, and butanol (IIRC) is more toxic than methanol.
#9
Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: VT
Posts: 12,872
Well, yeah, ethanol is toxic too, I guess a better thing to say would be to call it the safest, or least dangerous, at least. I mean, anaverage person can have one drink and feel no ill effects. An average shot is 1.5 oz of 40% ethanol...that's 0.6 oz of pure ethanol per drink, roughly. How much harm would 0.6 o of methanol cause? I'm assuming a lot. So I guess ethanol is one of the few alcohols that can be consumed in such a way that the minor effects (i.e.m being drunk) will occur before the serious effects (i.e. liver damage, death, etc...) I mean, I can't get drunk on methanol, can I? Wouldn't I die, or at least go blind, long before I get a "buzz"?
#10
Old 08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 27,161
You can get drunk on isopropyl alcohol too. Many late-stage alcoholics have done it when there is nothing else available. However, your body, particuarly your gastric system, isn't going to be too happy about it so don't try this at home.
#11
Old 08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,138
From here: http://safety-council.org/info/OSH/methanol.htm
"As little as four milliliters can cause blindness and 80 to 150 milliliters can be fatal; about half a milliliter per kilogram of weight is deadly.

Drinking methanol causes effects similar to common alcohol, such as an upset stomach and dizziness, with the addition of pronounced vision problems. After these effects disappear, they reappear six to 30 hours later, only with much greater severity. severe symptoms tend to appear 18 to 24 hours after consumption. the relapse time makes it imperative to seek medical help as soon as possible."

So you might get a buzz before blindness or death, but you can look forward to those symptoms popping up afterwards.

More info here: http://prn2.usm.my/mainsite/bull...995/sun17.html

Also Google on "drinking methanol" -aspartame for more sites.
#12
Old 08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 8,086
No, methanol and isopropanol actually are both very intoxicating before the lethal point is reached; you can get quite buzzed just from breathing them.

Incidentally (and more to the OP), the heavier n-alkyl alcohols are waxier solids, and are relatively non-toxic -- the oral LD-50 for cetyl alcohol (in rats) is 5 grams per kg.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: walgreens thc test comma fucker pronounce wacom subaru leaking oil googlie mooglie burke meaning ya vull buying moonshine online tylenol lethal dose mason's children plums constipation madchen amick imdb lick and riff little bill daggett heels of bread detox pills walgreens shane battier head oe together legal envelope heinlein coventry sat canada night thirst moirai pronunciation stock suicide torpedo planes suffragette city meaning cashew toxic kayti edwards hustler bruce tinsley drawer wax david cross religion that's a negative hawaii apostrophe kerosene head lice what sound does a bull make alcoholic drinks made with dr pepper can you bring aspirin on an airplane what temperature can the human body withstand what is above top secret donut shops open late stainless steel drip pans electric range kitchenaid superba oven control panel red line symbol on forehead medieval riddles and answers if you can't find a partner use a wooden chair parsley and ginger tea can lightning come through a window 59 79 99 taco bell does a fielder's choice count as an at bat mike lablue family. feel like i have a fever but i don't what is the safest way to dispose of old bank account statements presidents who went to harvard switch from directv to dish network is 5w20 better than 5w30 what does alto in spanish mean best dean koontz books how long does it take to bleed out from the neck does usps still work on sunday food safe paint for metal sports women are better at kohler toilet tanks interchangeable how long will poison ivy stay on clothes down syndrome drinking alcohol