Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
42" Plasma TV Under $2,000: Anybody Own An ILO?

It seems Walmart has started their own "brand" of electronics called ILO with a DVD recorder for under $150 and a 42" Plasma HDTV-ready television for $1,999 that I have my eye on.

http://emergencelabs.com/news/gadgets.asp

The television on display in the store looks fine to me, and in comparing the tech specs with more expensive models, I don't see any difference.

Has anybody bought an ILO plasma television, or know anything about them?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
There's an article here but you'll have to become a member to read it.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm in the same boat but looking at the Vizio 42" plasma display. Is the Ilo an ED or HD resolution display.

BTW I have the Ilo DVD recorder and no complaints so far. It has a lot of features but is extremely straightforward to use. When these reach $100 I predict the death knell for VCRs.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:25 AM
How much is the Vizio, Padeye?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Just under $2,400 but it has to be ordered from Sam's Club online so shipping has to be added. I saw one at Costco but only two in one particular store so I don't know if they'll still be available.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't know anything about ILO, but I did recently buy a 44" LCD projector HD TV which is only about 12" deep and cost $2,300. Amazing picture, even if you can't hang ther TV on the wall.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Charter Member
FWIW, the ILO is made by Tatung. (itty-bitty cite)

Tatung's been around for about 85 years operating in the US primarily as an "OEM" - original equipment manufacturer - selling their goods under the brand name of whoever contracts for the production of their TVs, monitors, refrigerators, etc.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Look for reviews in Tatung plasma TVs. If they're coming off the same production lines quality and performance is likely to be very comparable.

See

http://epinions.com/Flat_Panel_T...-Plasma-Tatung
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I did a little more research as I'll be buying soon. The $2k Vizio in Wal Mart is ED resolution, 852x480 so it has to do downsampling to display HDTV pictures. The $2,387 model being sold through Sam's Club online is 1024x768 resolution. A little less horizonal resolution than the high end TVs but full vertical resolution. It doesn't come with a wall mount which retails for $250 so by the time I get it shipped and mounted on the wall I'll be close to $2,850 plus about $200 sales tax.

http://vinc.com/product.asp?ID=70&PID=15&SEQ=2
http://samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...cfkjdgoodflf.0