Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 11-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: California
Posts: 2,505
Spanish: "Quizá" vs. "quizás"

I realized today that I've heard both "quizá" and "quizás" used to mean "maybe," seemingly interchangeably. Is there any difference between them in meaning or usage, or are they both acceptable in any situation?
#2
Old 11-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdude825
I realized today that I've heard both "quizá" and "quizás" used to mean "maybe," seemingly interchangeably. Is there any difference between them in meaning or usage, or are they both acceptable in any situation?
A more scholarly person as regards Spanish may correct this, but AFAIK, quizá is merely a dialectal variant of quizás in those countries where final -S is often elided. Compare English present participles in -ing and -in' for a parallel.
#3
Old 11-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,406
Quizá is the variation when you drop the final s (some dialects, mostly Caribbean, do this).

Dropping the final s is accepted, as long as the syllable of the next word doesn't start with a vowel.

Quizá pase algo- Maybe something will occur

Quizás algo pase- Maybe something will occur
#4
Old 11-12-2004, 02:53 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrenze
Quizá is the variation when you drop the final s (some dialects, mostly Caribbean, do this).

Dropping the final s is accepted, as long as the syllable of the next word doesn't start with a vowel.

Quizá pase algo- Maybe something will occur

Quizás algo pase- Maybe something will occur
Then why do you so frequently see it written both ways? It tends to be highly unusual when writing in Spanish, even in informal or dialectual writing, to drop Ss. Yet "quizá(s)" may easily be seen spelled both ways in various places.

I always learned that they were interchangeable, however. So I imagine it's just speaker preference.
#5
Old 11-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
Then why do you so frequently see it written both ways? It tends to be highly unusual when writing in Spanish, even in informal or dialectual writing, to drop Ss. Yet "quizá(s)" may easily be seen spelled both ways in various places.

I always learned that they were interchangeable, however. So I imagine it's just speaker preference.
Tal vez puedes eliminar el problema de otra forma...

In any case, the nice folks at Berlitz in León, GTO, MX, told me that either one can be used at all, that there's no difference, but that you should just pick one form and stick with it.
#6
Old 11-13-2004, 01:05 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hell's Den
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrenze
Quizá is the variation when you drop the final s (some dialects, mostly Caribbean, do this).

Dropping the final s is accepted, as long as the syllable of the next word doesn't start with a vowel.

Quizá pase algo- Maybe something will occur

Quizás algo pase- Maybe something will occur
Not sure where you got this "accepted" bit, but as a native Spanish speaker -- a Spaniard living in the Caribbean to be exact -- Polycarp's explanation strikes me as the correct one. Moreover, La Real Academia de la Lengua Española, appears to agree with us both. Type in "Quizá" into the dictionary and you'll get the following message: "La palabra "Quizá" no está en el Diccionario."

In my experience, I've found that people are rather hungry for "esses" in many LA countries -- they eat them by the bushel
#7
Old 11-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: México
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFury
Type in "Quizá" into the dictionary and you'll get the following message: "La palabra "Quizá" no está en el Diccionario."
I get returns from RAE on both spellings:

quizás.

1. adv. duda quizá.

quizá.
(Del lat. qui sapit, quién sabe).

1. adv. duda Denota la posibilidad de que ocurra o sea cierto lo que se expresa. Quizá llueva mañana. Quizá sea verdad lo que dice. Quizá trataron de engañarme.
~ y sin ~.
1. loc. adv. U. para dar por seguro o por cierto algo.
#8
Old 11-13-2004, 03:37 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hell's Den
Posts: 7,443
And on second consultation, you're absolutely correct.

Una muestra mas de que algo se aprende en el diario vivir.

Gracias.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: eating vaseline driver dealer superthrive cannabis personal courier cartier commercial 2014 qvc quackers mva insurance lapse ww2 helmet net nabisco bacon crackers zoloft experience worst shakespeare play sergeant bars light candle in hotel room joe buck randy moss clorox automatic toilet bowl cleaner damage oak leaf in fall is it safe to use windex on car windows if her daddy's rich take her out for a meal lyrics my car overheats when the ac is on what does oz stand for what is the point of a sauna do you have to be 21 to buy cooking wine