Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 06-27-2000, 07:47 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8
Hola,

I live in MA, just a piece down the road from Gloucester. The entire region is overrun with _Perfect Storm_ fever, which made me wonder if the teeming millions had any opinions as to what REALLY happened to the Andrea Gail?

Pal
__________________
-------------
And then William said, "But if ye feck just ONE goat ...!"
#2
Old 06-27-2000, 08:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 3,419
Well, as another resident of Mass. and someone who just finished reading "The Perfect Storm" I can honestly say that I have no idea. It seems the Andrea Gale's last radio contact with other people happened long before Sebastian Junger speculates that they went down. In that time period a lot could have happened. The could have even gone down right after their last radio message, but Junger does state rather convincingly that given what we know of the boat, it is likely they stayed afloat for a while. The only real mystery in my mind is why their emergency radio beacon was turned off.

I am looking foreward to the movie. There are one or two things I want to see how they handle.
#3
Old 06-27-2000, 09:19 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8
Quote:

Well, as another resident of Mass. and someone who just finished reading "The Perfect Storm" I can honestly say that I have no idea. It seems the Andrea Gale's last radio contact with other people happened long before Sebastian Junger speculates that they went down. In that time period a lot could have happened. The could have even gone down right after their last radio message, but Junger does state rather convincingly that given what we know of the boat, it is likely they stayed afloat for a while. The only real mystery in my mind is why their emergency radio beacon was turned off.

I am looking foreward to the movie. There are one or two things I want to see how they handle.

I've been wondering about the EPIRB too. I think Junger mentions that there was no reason in the world why it would have been turned off altogether because it had its own power supply, so it's not like shutting it off would have saved power. FWIW, my cousin John skippers the Hannah Boden now, and used to crew on the AG with Billy Tyne, and he says it would have been totally unlike Billy to screw around with the beacon in the first place. He also said the AG was a rustbucket.

The movie should be interesting. I'm told that they have Linda Greenlaw as a semi-romantic interest for Billy Tyne in the film, which is a scream to anyone who knows either of them.

Pal
__________________
-------------
And then William said, "But if ye feck just ONE goat ...!"
#4
Old 06-27-2000, 09:43 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 3,187
Disaster movies like this give me nightmares - I wont ever see this one, even on video (still havnt seen titanic!)

Do they die? Do they get rescued?
#5
Old 06-27-2000, 10:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 3,419
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS















kelli - I hate to be the one to tell you but the Andrea Gale was lost at sea. None of the crew members made it back to shore. Still, there are some amazing rescues detailed in the book, and presumably the movie. I realize you probably still won't want to see it, but maybe the book would be more to your taste.
#6
Old 06-27-2000, 11:17 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,515
I thought one theory is that the antenna was knocked off with the first big wave, thereby knocking the beacon out of commision.
#7
Old 06-27-2000, 11:34 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 3,187
*sigh* It figures.

Thanks Trion. And I wont be reading the book either. (nightmares)

I did some searches on the 'Andrea Gail' and came up with the same info - sad. If anyone is interested in sea disasters, there is a doozy of one from my home provine, on June 20, 1959 35 men and boys were lost at sea. Its here:
http://cnet.unb.ca/nb/hardwicke/escdismus/ Notice the same last names, these were fathers and sons, brothers, cousins...

Tragic.
#8
Old 06-27-2000, 11:58 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Toon Town
Posts: 10,312
What REALLY happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald?

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call gitchigoome.

StG
#9
Old 06-27-2000, 12:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Lost in America
Posts: 241
quote:

"I thought one theory is that the antenna was knocked off with the first big wave, thereby knocking the beacon out of commision."

endquote.


The EPIRB emergency beacon is a separate entity from the radio gear - the antennae aren't related to it at all. The only explanation that I can come up with for its non-activation is that the AG was completely submerged and quickly sunk by a humongous wave. Now, the EPIRB is supposed to go off automatically when it gets wet, but if it were stuck to the boat and the boat went down fast enough......

Frankly, for the sake of the crew and their friends and family, I hope it happened quickly. I'm 20 pages from finishing the book (which is very compelling) and I plan to see the movie (which looks to be almost as compelling as the book), but the thought that the AG's crew would fight
the storm for a long time only to lose in the end is
heartbreaking.
#10
Old 06-27-2000, 01:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8
Quote:


The EPIRB emergency beacon is a separate entity from the radio gear - the antennae aren't related to it at all. The only explanation that I can come up with for its non-activation is that the AG was completely submerged and quickly sunk by a humongous wave. Now, the EPIRB is supposed to go off automatically when it gets wet, but if it were stuck to the boat and the boat went down fast enough......
It's possible, but unlikely. EPIRBS have ring switches on them which have to be physically placed in the On, Off, or Standby positions. They're usually set to standby (where they will activate if submerged). The AG's EPIRB was found with the switch in the OFF position. It's very unlikely that the action of the boat sinking, or anything hitting the unit could have switched it from STANDBY to OFF. One theory floating around these parts (I think it's in the book too) is that the Canadian coast guard DID get the signal from the AG beacon, but didn't answer it because the storm was so fierce. Then, the story goes, when the beacon was found someone from the CCG moved the switch to OFF.

Who knows ...

Pal
__________________
-------------
And then William said, "But if ye feck just ONE goat ...!"
#11
Old 06-27-2000, 01:49 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Lost in America
Posts: 241
Palimpsest:

I just finished the book at lunch and got to the part where it's mentioned that the CCG found the AG's EPIRB washed up on Sable Island - with the ring switch in the OFF position. The speculation that the CCG switched it to OFF is intriguing, but as you say....Who knows?

Junger also makes mention of an AG fish-finder beacon being found in addition to the EPIRB and some fuel drums. As if the crew were trying to surround themselves with as many electrical signals as possible - seemingly indicating that they were in deep shit and knew it.

Obviously, the AG went down........but as to exactly how she went down, no one will ever really know.

What an extremely sad story.
#12
Old 06-27-2000, 03:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 397
One word:

Illuminati.

#13
Old 06-27-2000, 03:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 973
I read the book a few months ago, and absolutely loved it.

But, does anyone else get the unfortunate feeling that Hollywood is going to give this sucker a happy ending?
#14
Old 06-27-2000, 03:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 3,187
The author was worried about that too, really worried that Hollywood wouldnt kill off a big name star.


He is no longer worried.
(according to one of the sites I found under the search "Andrea+Gail")
#15
Old 06-27-2000, 07:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8
SOME SPOILER INFO STOP READING NOW IF YOU CARE!

Quote:

I read the book a few months ago, and absolutely loved it.

But, does anyone else get the unfortunate feeling that Hollywood is going to give this sucker a happy ending?
Nope. They follow the book at least as far as the AG goes. I was an extra in the memorial scene. Sebastian Junger was really concerned about not giving the movie a happy ending. Gonna go see it at the local premiere tomorrrow!

Pal
#16
Old 06-27-2000, 07:41 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Spoilers:
What really happened to the Andrea Gail was that it sank.

What really happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald was that it leaked like a sieve and sank.

Any guesses what REALLY happened to the Titanic?

Yup, alien abduction.
#17
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palimpsest View Post
It's possible, but unlikely. EPIRBS have ring switches on them which have to be physically placed in the On, Off, or Standby positions. They're usually set to standby (where they will activate if submerged). The AG's EPIRB was found with the switch in the OFF position. It's very unlikely that the action of the boat sinking, or anything hitting the unit could have switched it from STANDBY to OFF. One theory floating around these parts (I think it's in the book too) is that the Canadian coast guard DID get the signal from the AG beacon, but didn't answer it because the storm was so fierce. Then, the story goes, when the beacon was found someone from the CCG moved the switch to OFF.

Who knows ...

Pal
Fuck you you slimy shitnosed excuse for life. How dare you even think something like that about the Canadian Coast Guard (not the CCG you fuck - show some goddamn respect.) Enjoy your miserable existence in a shit hole
#18
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,329
what's with the anger?


but this zombie thread interests me because I loved the book - awesome. ironically, all the "people" story Junger put in, about the crew members, is the least interesting part. it's the technical stuff I found fascinating.
#19
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 57,946
Ideas on what REALLY happened to the Andrea Gail?

It sunk.

End of story.
#20
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 17,594
The guy he is cursing out hasn't been here in 12 1/2 years...
#21
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
It sunk.
I thought I cleared that up in 2000.
#22
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38,721
Mod note

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsa View Post
Fuck you you slimy shitnosed excuse for life. How dare you even think something like that about the Canadian Coast Guard (not the CCG you fuck - show some goddamn respect.) Enjoy your miserable existence in a shit hole
I don't think we really need someone who comes and registers in order to disinter a zombie and post this.

And, BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and close the thread.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: colitas desert flower locked garage door mutant class sealing green wood wwii zippo lighter 700x38c inner tube 5 digit odometer melfina suitcase bon oui futurama holiday inn blackface lake vs sea short change scam leroy cain pigeons nests longest held note american restore guy outruns cops beethoven overrated merkin define dune islam song milkshake hand without fingernails paris cop nickname roshambo definition fridge etymology godzilla kanji charmin vs cottonelle plural of bush bong stores mossimo giannulli wikipedia tawne stone how much to get tail light fixed sexual side effects of cocaine hamburger helper with no milk thomas english muffins outlet stores how long to charge a 12 volt car battery phi mu alpha ritual book die hard 2 plane explosion my glasses are always smudged red headed step child how long does it take a photon to escape the sun antiseptic vs antibacterial soap mtg 4th edition price list what is the body temperature of a cat how to get a power window up that is stuck stainless steel braided washing machine hose does going faster use more gas how to catch a bee in the house can you buy cyanide toenail growing back pain what is mr roboto about stanley steamer car cleaning degrees in a square what does class a cigarettes mean why is wednesday spelled the way it is does birth weight predict future size haven't seen you in a coon's age can i counter sue in small claims court accidentally walked out of store without paying myspace player not working how to make the seat belt noise stop why does earwax fall out of my ear what's to be done with this homer simpson