Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Charmed's entire season has been a mess

You know, when I turn on Charmed I'm not expecting logical stories. But I am expecting logical storytelling. This entire season has thus far been one big QUA?!? to me.

So first you have Avatars whose goal was to bring Leo over to their side. They did this by haunting Leo until he completely cracked, alienating his family, killing fellow elders, and having a total psychological breakdown.
Yeah...that would convince me to join your group.

Next is the Avatar's plan: Utopia. A world without good or evil. And they intended to bring this about by helping good and destroying evil.

You know that whomever is behind the story development changed the idea halfway through because Barbas was also originally being haunted by the Avatars and being convinced to join their ranks: an evil equal to balance out the good in Leo. Well, we never did end up seeing Barbas after the first or second episode this season.

Then you have the whole "Are the Avatars good? Are they evil? I DON'T KNOW!!!" plotline. Which basically consisted of a bunch of characters shouting "They're good!" "No they're not, they're evil!" back and forth without offering any proof whatsoever other than "everyone says they're (good/evil) and so you must too."
That was some good filler.

Then there was the episode where Leo desperately wants to tell the sisters that he's an Avatar but learns a Very Important Lesson on why it's best to wait. They're not ready. Let them come to the conclusion in their own time. You're right, says Leo.
So when do the sisters really find out? The very beginning of the very next episode. Jesus Christ, what the hell was the point?

The ideas in the concluding episode could have been intriguing had they not been so simplified as to be almost painful to watch.
Is death truly supposed to hurt us all, or is that just how we think because it's all we have ever known?
Is a world with kindness and harmony worth a lesser degree of free will?
NO IT'S EVIL DESTROY THE AVATARS RAWRRRR1!!!11!1

And so we get the whole "It never happened" cliche, along with painful exposition at the end as to who remembers what and why they were unaffected by time travel and god, make it stop!

Seriously, what is going on with this show?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24
Seriously, what is going on with this show?
They are actively taking a flying leap over a large, cartilaginous fish.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Look, it ain't rocket science. Three of the hottest babes on TV right now. Witchcraft. Just have lots of flesh and supernatural adventures and EVERYBODY'S happy. And they can't even manage that.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Well, I think the big problem is that Holly Marie Combs is pregnant. I can't be certain of this as I've heard no news, but, from the way she holds herself on tv this season, it seems to be the case. It's funny because when she was "pregnant" with Wyatt, they kept finding new and unique ways to take the baby away from her for part of the show. It was like she was screaming "I'm not really fat, look, here's my belly button!"
But now they're finding new and unique ways to film her above the chest. It means no romping around on crazy adventures and not as much skin.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor
Look, it ain't rocket science. Three of the hottest babes on TV right now. Witchcraft. Just have lots of flesh and supernatural adventures and EVERYBODY'S happy. And they can't even manage that.

But they're not even that hot, at least by television babe standards. In my humble opinion, Alyssa Milano is looking sort of dowdy and long in the tooth.

I think the problem is that they got tired of the fluff episodes of the early years so they're trying some Buffy/Angel-like story arcs, but the writers don't have the chops to handle it, and the actors don't have the talent to pull it off.

Hard to believe that the show has lasted since 1998.

I did catch the show last night (there was nothing else on) and their use of the
SPOILER:
Big Red Reset Button was intensely irritating. Yes, we can turn the clock back X hours, but not X+1 hours so we can save your boyfriend, because that would take up too much energy, and oh yeah, we already fired his ass off the show....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle
I think the problem is that they got tired of the fluff episodes of the early years so they're trying some Buffy/Angel-like story arcs, but the writers don't have the chops to handle it, and the actors don't have the talent to pull it off.
I think you're right with this one.

Boy, do I ever miss my Buffy.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
The reviewer on Television Without Pity was amazed at how good the last two episodes supposedly were. I was underwhelmed, especially with

SPOILER:
just how easily the Avatars capitulated at the end of the most recent episode.

I can't really remember why I used to like Charmed so much in the first place. It might have been Julian McMahon, even if he did stand around with his mouth hanging open half the time.

I haven't seen most of this season but it looks like I'm not missing much.