Old 05-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Dry ramen

My floormates and my RA were going through my leftover ramen. Except they didn't feel like cooking it, so they smashed it up inside the packaging and ate it like crackers. Crackers with beef flavoring. Anyway, I thought only I did this; is this weird or more widely done than I thought?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I've never done it, but I am very lazy. I can see the potential here.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Not a good idea. I've done it in the past (not because of laziness, but because I wanted a crunchy snack instead of a soft one) and the noodles will swell up in your stomach and make you sick. They're designed to expand upon contact with hot liquid, and your stomach is filled with that. It isn't a pleasant sensation to have your food cook inside you.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
My friends and I used to do it in middle school all the time. We didn't use all the seasoning but we'd munch on the uncooked noodles. Yum!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I used to do it all the time when my parents were making ramen. I've never felt sick afterward, either. Though I never added the flavoring, ick.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I still do it, but often leave it plain, or dip the ramen "chips" into the seasoning pack, getting just a little bit.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:16 PM
When I went on tour with my ska-punk band in 1997, all we brought for food in the van was a few loaves of bread with peanut butter and honey, and lots of packs of ramen. We got very accustomed to crunching away on the dry bricks, and sometimes we'd wet the top with water (or even lick them) to get some of the flavoring to stick. But it could be uncomfortable if we ate too much, due to the swelling sensation.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I used to eat it like that all the time as a snack in elementary school. Smash up the noodles, add the seasoning, shake it up in a Ziploc bag, and eat it like chips.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:38 AM
I think I read on here a while back about eating Ramen noodles dry. So, obviously I had to try it seeing as I practically subsist on these things. I guess they weren't too bad, but I really prefer them cooked. They were strangely addictive when being eaten dry (I may have been in an altered state of mind at the time, though). Not a habit I'd pick up. Chicken flavored Ramen with some soy sauce and chilli powder is my main means of survival - not at all the same as eating them dry. I'd feel like I was wasting perfectly good Ramen by eating it dry.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turing Complete
My floormates and my RA were going through my leftover ramen. Except they didn't feel like cooking it, so they smashed it up inside the packaging and ate it like crackers. Crackers with beef flavoring. Anyway, I thought only I did this; is this weird or more widely done than I thought?
Nope.
Here in Hawaii, it's done all the time.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
Nope.
Here in Hawaii, it's done all the time.
As it is in Alaska!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Charter Member
My mother has a recipe for a salad made from cabbage with some kind of sweet and sour dressing and crunched up dry ramen noodles for texture.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
All the time when I used to eat ramen more. Never really made me feel bloated or sick. Guess I didn't eat enough at once to get that sensation.

My mom bought me a book that had all sorts of recipes for ramen--one of them was for haystack candy (I think that's what they called it) that involved using dry ramen. Can't recall what was in it exactly, but it turned out crunchy and sweet. Never made it but was always kinda tempted to.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka
My mother has a recipe for a salad made from cabbage with some kind of sweet and sour dressing and crunched up dry ramen noodles for texture.
I think I've had that salad at an office potluck. It was a bit strange, but good.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Yep, that was oh-so-trendy in the fifth grade snacktime, I remember. Spread out a plate or paper towel, break off little pieces, and dip them into the seasoning packet. I still do it some days now when I'm studying and want to get into that "starving intellectual liberal-arts-degree student" mentality.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Quote:
I have a recipe like that, too. It's got broken-up ramen and toasted sesame seeds and almonds. Mmmmmm!

Recently, I was looking through one of my cookbooks, and I saw a recipe for the same salad, except that instead of a pound of shredded cabbage, you used 1/2 pound of cabbage and 2 cups of diced cooked chicken. I gave that a try a couple of weeks ago, and it was quite tasty!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:38 PM
heh, I've been told I was weird for simply straining the water.........

maybe it's because of the random addition of whatever is in the fridge to the noodles is the weird thing, and not so much draining the water.... gonna try some 'dry' ones now thought!!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I do and all of my sibling do or at least have. I don't crush them; I eat them in their square form. I do put the seasoning on. My brother does crush them. I think he puts seasoning on them. I don't know about my sisters.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Break them up and fry them for a few seconds in a pan with just a tiny bit of oil. (Watch very carefully-they burn fast).
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoneyKingofNowhere
heh, I've been told I was weird for simply straining the water.........
If you use only one cup of water instead of two, you can just let the water cook off, and you won't need to strain it.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Twas a childhood snack for me, too.

I prefer it in cream o' chicken soup these days, myself.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I like to smear the whole block with Marmite and gnaw at it while watching TV. Beer is a necessity.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup
I like to smear the whole block with Marmite and gnaw at it while watching TV. Beer is a necessity.
E
Old 05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
They sell ramen-esque noodles specifically as a dry snack in some supermarkets in Australia.

Question, though, for anyone who knows. Ramen noodles are the same type of noodles as they put in pot noodles, yeah? If so, I've never noticed them swelling all that much when cooking them. They soften, yeah, but they don't seem to increase in size, they just loosen up and so seem to take up more space. But the actual strands don't seem to get any bigger.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Do I have dirty mind? I read this title as "Dry Semen", I have tried dry Ramen and I didn't like it. I like my noodles wet not dry and crusty, kind of like dry semen afterall huh?

WAAH (weak attempt at Humor)
Old 05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Quote:
I've eaten that before at potlucks and parties, and it's really good!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:56 AM
MAMEE!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:49 PM
A bit of a hijack, but it is about cooking ramen: is there a way to cook it in the microwave? I ask because using a stovetop was very inconvenient for me when I was in a dorm, not the least of which because I didn't have a pan to cook it in.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinn
Yep, those'd be the ones. My school canteen sold them. I hated them.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-go-Blind
A bit of a hijack, but it is about cooking ramen: is there a way to cook it in the microwave? I ask because using a stovetop was very inconvenient for me when I was in a dorm, not the least of which because I didn't have a pan to cook it in.

Perhaps I am lazy or weird, but I usually cook it in the microwave - that way I can't forget it is on the stove, or whatever.

I put it in a platic or other micro-friendly container with the water and anything else I want to add and then go and ignore it for appropriaie number of minutes.

Works for me, but then no-one has accused me of being a good cook!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-go-Blind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn
Perhaps I am lazy or weird, but I usually cook it in the microwave - that way I can't forget it is on the stove, or whatever.

I put it in a platic or other micro-friendly container with the water and anything else I want to add and then go and ignore it for appropriaie number of minutes.

Works for me, but then no-one has accused me of being a good cook!
Yeah, the microwave works fine. Once I realized this I never used the stovetop for Ramen again. It just seems like way too much hassle for Ramen. I just break all the noodles in the bag, then put them in the bowl with some water and nuke them for a few minutes. No difference in quality as far as I can tell.

...and you don't have to worry about whether the microwave kills nutrients or not since I don't think Ramen noodles have any nutrients to begin with.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key

...and you don't have to worry about whether the microwave kills nutrients or not since I don't think Ramen noodles have any nutrients to begin with.
Sure they do. Carbs are indeed a "nutrient". Maybe you're thinking of vitamins, some of which are destroyed by cooking? If that waht your thinking of- if boiling over a flame won't destroy the vitamins, neither will microwaves.