Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 405
Keflex (Cephalexin) For Acne - Possible TMI

My dermotologist was put me on Keflex (500 mg tablets) and Cleocin T dabber for treatment of infected Acne Vulgaris. Ughh, I had a better complexion when I was a teenager.

Questions I forgot to ask-

My doctor told me not to drink milk when taking the Keflex. Anyone know why? How long should I wait after taking it to have some milk with cereal? What about other dairy products?

It's only been two days so far. Anyone know when I'll start to see and feel relief?

The Cleocin has been drying my pustules out significantly. I asked the doctor and he said this is what he's going for. They are so dry and scabbed over they hurt. Should I be concerned? My dermotologist was not.

My poor face thanks you.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 16,828
Quote:
The Cleocin has been drying my pustules out significantly. I asked the doctor and he said this is what he's going for. They are so dry and scabbed over they hurt. Should I be concerned? My dermotologist was not.
I am not a doctor and can't give medial advice. My experience in general, however, is simply that your skin is likely dry and inflamed. Unless your doctor told you otherwise (and read the label on the medicine, too) wash your face with water or lotion.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NC
Posts: 1,653
Keflex will annihilate the 'friendly' bacteria in your digestive tract, so drinking milk will cause you intestinal distress.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NC
Posts: 1,653
As for how long to wait, I would say several days. Should eat yogurt to reintroduce the bacteria to your system.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the saddle
Posts: 704
I believe the reason not to drink milk is that it blocks the ability pill to properly absorb into the body.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Not so North
Posts: 11,014
awldune, I had never heard that. I have always been told that it's what Spezza said, it interferes with absorption.

Take it an hour before drinking/eating or at least two hours after.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit
I am not a doctor and can't give medial advice. My experience in general, however, is simply that your skin is likely dry and inflamed. Unless your doctor told you otherwise (and read the label on the medicine, too) wash your face with water or lotion.
Oh I should have mentioned, he gave me special soap for washing my face.

GingerOfTheNorth and Spezza thanks. I didn't know about the absorption issues. Is it just milk or all diary products? I've been taking it at like 8 and not eating breakfast till 10 or so...

awldune, I was aware of the normal flora destruction. Luckily my stomach is pretty robust.

Anybody wanna take a guess as to when I'll start seeing some results?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsenmtl
I've been taking it at like 8 and not eating breakfast till 10 or so...
I was given Keflex for an infected cyst on my back. If I took it without food, took two doses near each other in time, or even didn't quite eat enough, I felt nauseous.

Actually, I was sort of borderline nauseous the whole time- if I rode in a car, I'd be prone to start feeling motion-sick, that sort of thing. I described it once as my stomach being about 7 out of 10, where 10 is perfectly fine and 1 is puking up my toenails.

Glad you're having a better experience with it than I did. I don't recall being told not to eat milk products, but I wasn't sleeping too well then (hard to get comfortable in bed with an infected and inflamed cyst on your back), so it's entirely possible that I just don't remember that.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Down the rabbit, whole!
Posts: 12,535
I have no first hand experience, but my understanding is that with most oral anti-acne products your face will get worse before it gets better.

As to how long it will take to see results - I would imagine that depends on the dose your taking, how severe your problem is, etc, etc - you should probably direct that one to your Dr - perhaps you can just phone the office?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: noitacol
Posts: 4,562
Interesting, Alice-in-Wonderland. My experience w/ antibiotics for acne never involved a worse-before-better situation. Topical products, yes. Cleocin for me was useless. If I even took antibiotics for 10 days for an unrelated condition I would definitely see an improvement in my skin.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 5,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsenmtl
it's only been two days so far. Anyone know when I'll start to see and feel relief?

The Cleocin has been drying my pustules out significantly. I asked the doctor and he said this is what he's going for. They are so dry and scabbed over they hurt. Should I be concerned? My dermotologist was not.

My poor face thanks you.
If its anything like Acutane, then your skin should start to molt. It removes the acne by stripping away skin layer by layer, so that you will be able to peel off disgusting strips of translucent skin.

Stay the course and nuke the acne, in about 6 weeks, you should be able to step back and assess your condition.

Declan
Old 05-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Not so North
Posts: 11,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
I was given Keflex for an infected cyst on my back. <snip>
Actually, I was sort of borderline nauseous the whole time- if I rode in a car, I'd be prone to start feeling motion-sick, that sort of thing.
I've only taken it while pregnant and bleah. I'm glad it wasn't just me.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Belfast, Ireland.
Posts: 6,380
Keflex is Cefalexin, a Cephalosporin antibiotic.

There is no listed reason that I could find not to drink milk, it may be just a personal preference of your physician. Ask him why, as it could be for any number of reasons, although I can see nothing in the literature to suggest that avoiding dairy products is necessary with this medication.

Cleocin is Clindamycin, another antibiotic.

All antibiotics are associated with rash, Cefalexin has Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis as a listed side effect and Clindamycin has exfoliative and vesiculobullous dermatitis listed. Although listed, they are EXTREMELY rare, so don't apnic.

If your doctor is happy, you're fine, but if it gets worse, you develop rash on other parts of your body, or previously normal skin (ie skin unaffected by acne) on your face starts to peel and blister, go back and see him again asap.

A fair trial of any acne treatment is 3 months (although you'll probably notice improvement earlier), as you're trying to affect the new layers of skin coming up from the lower epidermis, not the layers of skin currently on the surface. It can take a while to see the full effects.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 405
Thanks all.

I've been calling my doctor and checking in. My face is way worse now than when this started (only 4 days ago). The worst spots are now scabbed over and painful. He wants me to discontinue the Cleocin and up the antibiotic to Cipro. I hate to take such a strong antibiotic but hopefully, doctor knows best. He feels that the acne itself is infected and that's what needs to be treated.

Ughh...
Old 05-13-2005, 06:49 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
If its anything like Acutane, then your skin should start to molt. It removes the acne by stripping away skin layer by layer, so that you will be able to peel off disgusting strips of translucent skin.

Stay the course and nuke the acne, in about 6 weeks, you should be able to step back and assess your condition.

Declan
They're nothing like Acutane. Completely different mode of operation.

And that's not why Acutane works either; if that's what happened to your skin, that's unusual. Acutane reduces the oil production of your face - so much so that users get chapped lips and nosebleeds. It manages to affect oil production for life - quite amazing, actually.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 5,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
They're nothing like Acutane. Completely different mode of operation.

And that's not why Acutane works either; if that's what happened to your skin, that's unusual. Acutane reduces the oil production of your face - so much so that users get chapped lips and nosebleeds. It manages to affect oil production for life - quite amazing, actually.
It was an interesting time of my life, I tell ya. 5 years of living with acne and going to highschool and forever looking blech. Then six weeks later, totally clear, it was amazing.

Declan
Old 05-14-2005, 03:58 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
It was an interesting time of my life, I tell ya. 5 years of living with acne and going to highschool and forever looking blech. Then six weeks later, totally clear, it was amazing.

Declan
I've heard that people who go on Acutane are inevitably sad they didn't start earlier. It's amazing what modern medicine can do.

As long as you like rubbing vaseline inside your nostrils to stop the bleeding.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Belfast, Ireland.
Posts: 6,380
Excalibre- or they could be suffering from that famous side effect of depression!

Accutane is a very powerful medication with potentially devastating side effects. It should be reserved as a last resort for serious cases of cystic acne.

It is not a miracle cure for everyone with acne, it is what you turn to when NOTHING else works.
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: judas door isopropyl alcohol ph retarded politically correct cobra pit 80s basketball shorts chicken habitat ink file jek porkins meme finger socket adidas shower shoes habanero leaves black mickey mouse best donut maker owning a crow deus ex pronounced buy real moonshine mash scully cheese limburger bespoke pronunciation imdb mike judge homo erotic funny code phrases radioactive lantern mantles hot dogs packages thermos cleaner thumbed his nose cyclops jokes michele lau jtv clipper oil alternative fuck hp ultra capitalism thebaine pronunciation fizz keeper cap vibrator recall radio prank how to get garlic out of your system random welts on body how to fix a broken piano key why are shooting glasses tinted yellow max schreck bacon number when hooking up a car battery positive or negative first 32.2 lbm ft lbf s2 whole house fire alarm keeps going off can i use drano to unclog a toilet how to quit a retail job on short notice braided washing machine hose how do you pronounce jaguar gave a girl my number south park imaginationland part 3 recurring itch same spot its quiet too quiet watch the submarine races small dicks in porn phone pranks for kids replacing a shed roof seeing a man about a dog difference between russian and thousand island second degree burn blister popped window film that you can see out but not in can you buy liquor with an expired id how to put stamps on a letter 5 x 5 meaning dual wield rogue dragon age origins cell block tango what does the hungarian say