Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
is beer /alcohol a histamine?

Can alchohol exacerbate allergy symptoms?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Both beer and wine can cause reactions if you are sensitive to tyramines.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Charter Member
When I was still drinking, I would get allergic symptoms every time I drank Miller Genuine Draft, but no other beer. I would also like to know why
Old 07-14-2005, 10:48 PM
As a drinker, and allergy sufferer, I can say it has been my experience that alcohol has the opposite effect. For me, a beer and a half stops the sneezing pretty well. If it's a placebo effect, I don't want to know.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:29 AM
The word for something that causes allergic reactions is an ALLERGAN.

Histamines are the substances that the body produces in response to allergans, which cause the symptoms of an allergy: vasodilation, mucous production, tissue swelling etc.

Many people descrbe the facial flushing, nausea and sweating they get from alcohol (commonly exacerbated by the antibiotic Metronidazole) as an allergy. It isn't, it's a defect in the enzyme pathway (the defect is either inherited, or induced by medication) which breaks down alcohol, so that instead of the normal waste products, a surplus of acetaldehyde is produced. The acetaldehyde is what causes the symptoms of flushing and nausea.

It is unlikely for the C2H5OH itself to cause a true allergy, more likely for an additive in the drink to do so.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 AM
I also had an allergic reaction (hives) whenever I drank MGD. I now drink Michelob and have no problems.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Why the plural, "histamines"? Is there more than one?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scene
Why the plural, "histamines"? Is there more than one?
Yes. More importantly, there are numerous antihistamines.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl
Histamines are the substances that the body produces in response to allergans, which cause the symptoms of an allergy: vasodilation, mucous production, tissue swelling etc.
But there are foods/drinks that contain histamine. And beer and wine are two of them.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I find that when I am drinking it makes my reactions to the things I am allergic to much worse. (strange cats usually mean minor sniffles and being careful not to touch my eyes. strange cats and beer usually mean having to lay down so I can concentrate on breathing)
Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Charter Member
As a young girl I suffered from pretty severe asthma. A sip of alcohol* would make breathing a bit easier until I could be taken to the ER.

*I do not in any way advocate giving alcohol to minors.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I find when drinking some types of alcohol, my nose stuffs up almost immediately. So, I can vouch for a reaction. I always assumed it was an allergy.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself
When I was still drinking, I would get allergic symptoms every time I drank Miller Genuine Draft, but no other beer. I would also like to know why
Because it's your body's way of saying "please stop drinking this swill, and get me a perfectly poured Guinness or something similar".
Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Miller puts _something_ in all thier beers that causes hay-fever like reactions for me.

All thier beer except "milwaukee's best" (yes, it's awful) which apparently doesn't have the budget for the problematic ingredient.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
As a young girl I suffered from pretty severe asthma. A sip of alcohol* would make breathing a bit easier until I could be taken to the ER.

*I do not in any way advocate giving alcohol to minors.
Ethanol is a smooth muscle relaxer. This may help open up a bronchiole which is constricted by spasm of the smooth muscle surrounding it.

Caffiene can help too, in an emergency.

But medicines designed to treat bronchospasm are better and I would not suggest anyone use alcohol or caffiene for these purposes save in a true emergency, while waiting for the paramedics to arrive.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Qagdop, isn't alcohol something asthmatics are supposed to avoid? I thought I'd heard something to that effect.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse
Qagdop, isn't alcohol something asthmatics are supposed to avoid? I thought I'd heard something to that effect.

I'd be dead by now for sure!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse
A lot of things can trigger asthma, and they're different for different asthmatics. Many tolerate alcohol just fine.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I have heard apple juice and cheap white wine can, in large quantities, trigger an asthma attack.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 AM
I have non-allergic vaso-motor rhinitis...which is a fancy way of saying I have a stuffy nose.

Beer/alcohol _always_ makes my nose more stuffy. I hate it! It certainly takes some of the pleasure out of drinking. Not all the pleasure, mind you. Just some of it!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Qadgop, this is something I actually know something about, so if you'll excuse me....

Wine, but not beer, typically contains sodium or potassium sulfite, to which many asthmatics are sensitive, sometimes to the point of dying. Note I said "sulfite" not "sulfate." These are used to keep the wine clear and make it not discolor with age so it's especially common in white wine but you will notice most wines carry the warning "Contains sulfiting agents."

[aside] I used to take an allergy pill before drinking to counteract the effects of the sulfites and thought I was just a mean drunk. Turns out it was an ingredient in the allergy pills of the time (phenylpropylamine maleate) that was doing it and since it's been made illegal I've become a mellow, if horny, drunk. [/aside]
Old 07-16-2005, 08:57 AM
For people who find they have issues with some beer, try a beer brewed under the German purity laws. It MUST contain only hops, grain, water and alcohol. No additives.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl
For people who find they have issues with some beer, try a beer brewed under the German purity laws. It MUST contain only hops, grain, water and alcohol. No additives.
And yeast, of course.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder
And yeast, of course.

Right. And it must also ferment, which can produce histamine.

It's not like brewmasters are dumping histamines in their batches of Pale Ale.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, I'm having a beer right now, and it's not exacerbating my allergies.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycat90
Right. And it must also ferment, which can produce histamine.
You mean allergens (not allergans).
Old 07-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number
You mean allergens (not allergans).
No. I mean histamine. The human body is not the only producer of histamine. It's found in plants and animals, and can be produced during the fermentation processes of beer or wine.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Antihistamines block the release of histamines but they are drowsy and also there is reverse rhintis effect. The natural ingredient to fight histamines is lemons. Having high concentrations of citric acid its also anti bacterial and anti histamine. Also being an anti oxidant it makes breathing easier. see wikipedia.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_india View Post
Antihistamines block the release of histamines but they are drowsy and also there is reverse rhintis effect. The natural ingredient to fight histamines is lemons. Having high concentrations of citric acid its also anti bacterial and anti histamine. Also being an anti oxidant it makes breathing easier. see wikipedia.
Thus is a Summer Shandy called for. Huzzah!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
I've found the newer antihistamines (e.g. cetirizine) cause no drowsiness whatsoever for me. Benadryl knocks me on my ass without fail.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Charter Member
As a kid I had a ton of allergies and had the scratch test done on me before going through allergy shots for a number of years. The doc said I'd never be able to drink beer because of stuff I came back as being allergic to (hops and grain, I presume, not alcohol). So a beer allergy is apparently a "thing". But it turned out by the time I started drinking beer it never ruined my day like being in the same house as a shaggy dog. Either the shots did the magic on the hops and grain side of the ledger (and not so much the shaggy dog side...still get sniffly and asthmatic if I'm in a house with a fuzzy dog... it sucks) or I wasn't really allergic to "beer" in the first place.

Last edited by fiddlesticks; 06-19-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
As a kid I had a ton of allergies and had the scratch test done on me before going through allergy shots for a number of years. The doc said I'd never be able to drink beer because of stuff I came back as being allergic to (hops and grain, I presume, not alcohol). So a beer allergy is apparently a "thing". But it turned out by the time I started drinking beer it never ruined my day like being in the same house as a shaggy dog. Either the shots did the magic on the hops and grain side of the ledger (and not so much the shaggy dog side...still get sniffly and asthmatic if I'm in a house with a fuzzy dog... it sucks) or I wasn't really allergic to "beer" in the first place.
some people who have problems with wheat also have problems with barley, which is what beer is made from.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Antihistamines block the release of histamines but they are drowsy and also there is reverse rhintis effect.
I thought antihistamines worked by blocking the histamine receptors, not by affecting the release of histamines.