Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Treating ringworm of the lip

During the dampness earklier this week I picked up a ringworm infection. I have had it before, but this was the first time it was ever on my face. Even my forehead, an unusual place to get it, was red and felt wrong. Clotrimazole is clearing up the problem, but what about my lips. They feel like they are on the verge of chapping. I think they are infected too. I would try the clotrimazole but the package says to call poison control if I ingest it. A google search on ringworm and lips only finds advice about lips that I don't have due to my male gender.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize
During the dampness earklier this week I picked up a ringworm infection. I have had it before, but this was the first time it was ever on my face. Even my forehead, an unusual place to get it, was red and felt wrong. Clotrimazole is clearing up the problem, but what about my lips. They feel like they are on the verge of chapping. I think they are infected too. I would try the clotrimazole but the package says to call poison control if I ingest it. A google search on ringworm and lips only finds advice about lips that I don't have due to my male gender.
There are mouthwashes and lozenges designed for oral thrush; perhaps one of those might be helpful. However they're not available over the counter.

It'd be worth a phone call to your doctor to a) see if this could possibly be what is going on, b) find out if the small amount of clotrimazole you might apply to lips would pose a health hazard, or c) if the doc could prescribe one of the topical oral products. Some of those include Mycelex lozenges ("troches", for some reason), Nystatin (resemble gummy bears in texture) - both designed to dissolve in the mouth; there's some sort of mouthwash / rinse that my mother had and said tasted vile, but it did do the job.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Graphite is a great
We strongly discourage specific medical threads about your condition on the board. A general theoretical discussion of medicines or their effects is sometimes allowed, but for specific problems you may have, please consult your doctor. Quite often just a phone call talking to a nurse can answer your question, you may not even need a visit.

But, please, let's not open up a can of (ring)worms here.

Closed, samclem GQ moderator