Old 09-30-2005, 09:38 PM
"Long Pole in the Tent"?

Is this some kind of US Army expression? I WAG it's what a business man would call something in the critical path upon which all else is dependent? - Jinx
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Charter Member
I always understood it meant the brightest or best in a group, like "sharpest tool in the shed".
Old 10-01-2005, 12:22 AM
It doesn't refer to a clothed man with an erection?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Is this some kind of US Army expression? I WAG it's what a business man would call something in the critical path upon which all else is dependent? - Jinx
I've only heard it in a business setting, but your WAG is correct. It also plays off the double meaning of the thing that holds up everything else.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 AM
In a tent, the tallest pole is in the center. The shorter poles are at the corners.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfritter
In a tent, the tallest pole is in the center. The shorter poles are at the corners.
Then explain a canopy bed?

Old 10-01-2005, 12:38 PM
A canopy bed isn't the same thing as a tent.

She said humorlessly.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
We use the term "tall pole in the tent" in an IT setting to mean the thing that holds everything up. In other words, the longest running in a set of concurrent jobs or threads that forces downstream processes to wait.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Yep. It's biz slang for the critical-path item in a program schedule. Among tasks that must be performed in parallel, it's the one that takes the longest time.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45
It doesn't refer to a clothed man with an erection?
An obvious pun
Old 10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Pun? I thought that was the reference.