Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 AM
WTF does "John Wayne Is Big Leggy" mean?

There was really annoying song called "John Wayne Is Big Leggy" in the 80's by a band named Haysi Fantayzee, that my sister used to listen to.

Not sure why it came to mind 25 or so years later, but what does that mean to call somebody "big leggy"?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Never overanalyse lyrics. This maxim certainly applies in the case of Haysi Fantaysee (according to Wikipedia, a "new wave band of the early 1980s" ).

Anyway, John Wayne, cowboy, sitting on horses all the time, bow legs, that's my take.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:09 PM
John Wayne was 6'4".
Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I think the band was British, is "leggy" a britishism for tall?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
"Leggy" is a Britishism for "having long legs" - usually applied to pretty ladies.

"Big leggy" I have never heard outside that song, and I have no idea. Perhaps they were on drugs?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Actually, "leggy" also means tall right here in the US, not sure why I didn't make the connection.

Still, I wonder what exactly they meant in that awful, awful song. For some reason I think it meant something other than "tall".
Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Usram, IMHO, has given you the answer. I remember the song as being 'John Waynes is bow leggy' (gramatically it should be bow legged but pedantics and song lyrics do not happy bedfellows make) - the idea being he spent too much time on horseback / he walked with a certain swagger.

Crap song btw.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
If the "big leggy" line has you thrown, don't start looking deep into "Shiny Shiny." I read somewherre once it was about a bunch of people getting dressed for a party after a nuclear holocaust.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Jones
Usram, IMHO, has given you the answer. I remember the song as being 'John Waynes is bow leggy' (gramatically it should be bow legged but pedantics and song lyrics do not happy bedfellows make) - the idea being he spent too much time on horseback / he walked with a certain swagger.
Nope, it's definitely "big" leggy
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00...music&v=glance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Jones
Crap song btw.
No argument there. I still embarrass my sister by bringing up the fact that she used to listen to that album so much.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:10 AM
I am replying 11 years after this question was posted, so who knows if anyone will read this. However I was googling the same subject and found this question. It turns out that the song has a sexual meaning. It could be that 'Big Leggy' refers to having an erection, although I haven't sourced that exact interpretation. However the song lyrics describe sex with a Native American, including a reference to anal sex. Yeah I was surprised too.

There is a Wikipedia article about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Is_Big_Leggy

Here are the lyrics:

John Wayne Is Big Leggy Lyrics

<Copyrighted material removed>

source: http://lyricsondemand.com/h/hays...ggylyrics.html

Last edited by Chronos; 12-07-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Removed lyrics
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Charter Member
I love that song. It's one of my favorites from the MTV era.

The song mocks John Wayne and by extension America in all its self-righteousness.
Quote:
He knows what's right and he knows that god is with him
'cos he is right -
That's us, for sure.

Asking the squaw to turn right over - not "tune" right over" - could simply be a reference to doggie-style sex. Either way, the Indian gets fucked.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
OMG. I was poking around YouTube and I found this German rendition by Bienenstich, the lowest-costing music video ever made. You'll want to leave early on, but I won't let you. You need to stay for the kazoo chorus. O.K.!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
[Moderating]

Welcome to the SDMB, brainburger2. Please read through the rules for posting here. In particular, please note that we're strict about enforcing copyright here. A link to the lyrics of a song is OK, but quoting the entire song is well beyond the bounds of fair use. I've edited your post accordingly.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
OMG. I was poking around YouTube and I found this German rendition by Bienenstich, the lowest-costing music video ever made. You'll want to leave early on, but I won't let you. You need to stay for the kazoo chorus. O.K.!
That is effing awesome.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Big-legged women don't have no soul. Just sayin'
Old 12-08-2016, 04:55 PM
My immediate interpretation, with no knowledge of the song, is that it referred to his stance and walk. I could even see how this could connect to the "erection" idea--his walk is because he's erect.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
Big-legged women don't have no soul. Just sayin'
The biggest lie in all pop music.

Kenan Thompson, as host of Black Jeopardy: A skinny woman can do this.

Tom Hanks, as the white contestant: Not a damned thing.

There were high fives all around.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I loved that band. Very original I thought. I could still listen to it.