Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Baldur's Gate II - Sphere or Castle

I'm playing BG2 as a dual-class fighter/mage. I'm just about to go and take out the people/monsters in Nalia's family castle, and restore her family's honor. I haven't gone after the Planar Sphere quest yet, but that will be soon.

My question: Since I'm dualed, can I have either of the strongholds, or am I eligible for only one of them? If so, which one? My dilema is that I'll turn down the castle, then find myself not eligible for the Sphere. And if I can pick one or the other (I know I can't pick both)(at least, I don't think I can), which would be a better stronghold? I still have most of the quests in the city (no, I won't try spelling it without it being written out in front of me) to do.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't know if you have a choice of quest's. I will say, that having done both with diferent characters, the castle stronghold quest is more fun IMHO.

Most of the really fun stuff can be done in the sphere without doing the stronghold parts.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetums
I don't know if you have a choice of quest's. I will say, that having done both with diferent characters, the castle stronghold quest is more fun IMHO.

Most of the really fun stuff can be done in the sphere without doing the stronghold parts.
Sounds good. I was just thinking that it would be more convenient to have a safe house within the city, instead of trampling out to the edge of nowhere (16 hours travel time to the castle). Saves the characters the whole fatigue thing.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 PM
You can get only one. Whichever you do first is it (I don't recall if you can reject it or not, but I think so).

Honestly, few of the stronghold quests are really great. You can get a nice item out of the Planar Sphere. You can get some cash and a lot of XP out of the castle. C'est la vie.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Charter Member
There are mods out there which will allow one to get every stronghold, regardless of class. Keeps on from having to run through the game 7+ times just to feel you hit everything (although I think I've run through it that many times just to get all the character dialogs, test out player-created NPCs, play with super-powerful items, test different spell chains, etc.)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Well thanks for the tips, folks. I guess I'll stick with the Castle, since that's the one I hit first. I'm about to go after the golems. (Glad they are too big to fit through the door.) Should be a long day.