Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Why does my dog love hot food?

I have a small dog. For those who haven't seen his picture, he looks like this. He was sold to us by a pet shop that represented him as an Australian Silky Terrier x Chihuahua. We think he's more likely a Silky x Maltese.

Anyway, he is a fussy eater. He won't eat fresh sirloin, porterhouse, rump, or sotch fillet. He turns his nose up at chicken mince and other fresh meat type pet foods. He will only eat "dog food" (dog roll or similar) after he has left it for a day and realises that he is not getting anything else.

So what does he eat? If we make a hot chicken curry that my wife can't eat and that leaves me sitting drenched in sweat, he will scoff it down like Mama Cass eating a ham sandwich. He likes other hot foods, anything with a bit of spice, the more the better. He also likes generally tastey foods such as a rich risotto, or some threadfin salmon or barramundi on rice, in a creamy garlic and white wine sauce. He is also quite partial to little pieces of camembert or brie rapped in smoked salmon.

Overall though, he seems to have a preference for spicy food. Why would this be? Does he not feel the pain? Is he a glutten for punishment? Is he on drugs? Does he just like tastey food, and spicey is tastey to him?

Unfortunately for him, he generally gets dog roll. Or sometimes we will barbeque some cheap stirfry meat for him, which he will pick at over time. He also has a bowl of dry dog food that he has access to at all times. He is much like a cat in that he will only eat the dry food when he is hungry. Sometimes he will grab a mouthful of dry food, walk over to the rug in the lounge room, drop it on the floor, and then eat each bit one by one. He has also been observed sifting through the dry food and picking out particular shapes or colours.

He is, on the whole, a strange little animal.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Have you tried spicing his dry food?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 AM
We're happy with the way he eats his dry food, just nibbling at it when he's hungry. We're actually happy in general with his eating habbits, we just find them a bit strange.

So we don't want to change him, I'm just curious whether it is normal for dogs to eat spicey food, whether they have different physiology that lets them tolerate it better than us, or whether our dog is just weird.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 AM
And no, before anyone asks, it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect on his bowel movements.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:33 AM
afaik the only animals with a tolerance to Capsin are some birds who have no receptors.
so your dog probably feels it, I would imagine he likes it for the same reason you do, spicey hot is addicting as hell if you can tolerate it.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Charter Member
Have you TASTED canned dog food? I would just say he has good tastes in food.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 PM
What did this dog eat before you got him?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
We got him at about 6 weeks old, so he would have eaten dog milk and maybe a bit of generic dog food.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:02 AM
When my dog was a pup, I caught her chewing on the baseboards. I went out and bought some Super Hot Sauce, the kind that's touted as making grown men cry. She LOVED it. She licked it all off and looked up at me, begging for more.

From what I've seen with my dogs, I think Critical1 has the correct answer: dogs are just like people in the flavors they prefer.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:21 AM
My son's dog gets a mouthful of dry food and carries it to his favourite rug, drops it in his favourite spot, then walks around it for a while before starting to single out pieces to eat.